Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: Did my dog get poison by ethylene glycol by my neighbors?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

0 0%
  • no

0 0%
  • maybe

1 100.00%
  • other causes

0 0%
    prinxess Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 09:55 PM
    14 months female Pomeranian renal failure suspect ethylene glycol poison Please HELP!
    Hi, I have a 14 month old female pomeranian. She was fine two days ago. Then on Saturday, I notice she wasn't barking like she normally do. She wasn't eating. She drank but vomits it right out. On Sunday, she was shaking. The vet clinic was closed on the weekend, so today (Monday) I bought her to the clinic, took x-ray, blood glucose and blood work. In the morning she started to tremble, twitching. The doctor said her blood glucose was fine. There was a small foreign material in her x-ray... not sure if its in the intestines or stomach (in pylorus). The clinic doctor refer her to the hospital. These are the other lab result showing her having renal failure. LDVM bloods show BUN>130, creat 3.9, phosp>16.1, Na 132, K 5.1, Cl 85, Ca 5.6. Doppler BP 180, NH3 normal at 20. I am so worry about my pom. She is spending the night in the hospital and it is running me almost $1,000. I just went to visit her again and she looked better but the doctor said she is not producing enough urine. She is not eating or drinking anything but she is hooked up to IV fluid. I don't know what else to do, I just hope she would feel better. I have no idea how she got renal failure all of a sudden. She was just fine a few days ago. My neighbors don't like my dog but I do not believe they would poison her with ethylene glycol. What can I do? Anyone, can you please advise me. Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2006, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by prinxess
    Hi, I have a 14 month old female pomeranian. She was fine two days ago. Then on Saturday, I notice she wasnt barking like she normally do. She wasnt eating. She drank but vomits it right out. On Sunday, she was shaking. The vet clinic was closed on the weekend, so today (Monday) I bought her to the clinic, took xray, blood glucose and blood work. In the morning she started to tremble, twitching. The doctor said her blood glucose was fine. There was a small foreign material in her xray...not sure if its in the intestines or stomach (in pylorus). The clinic doctor refer her to the hospital. These are the other lab result showing her having renal failure. LDVM bloods show BUN>130, creat 3.9, phosp>16.1, Na 132, K 5.1, Cl 85, Ca 5.6. Doppler BP 180, NH3 normal at 20. I am so worry about my pom. She is spending the night in the hospital and it is running me almost $1,000. I just went to visit her again and she looked better but the doctor said she is not producing enough urine. She is not eating or drinking anything but she is hooked up to IV fluid. I dont know what else to do, I just hope she would feel better. I have no idea how she got renal failure all of a sudden. She was just fine a few days ago. My neighbors dont like my dog but I do not believe they would poison her with ethylene glycol. What can I do? Anyone, can you please advise me. Thanks.

Make sure if you had not, what you suspect, see if they can test for it. If this is the case, call the police and file a report. ( but better luck than I had) someone posioned my dog twice with rat poison, when that did not kill my dog, someone came over and shot him with a 22 gun.
    The police officer came out and took some notes, but the dectivite would never even come out since it was just a dog and he had real crimes to deal with. ** under funded and over worked department I guess if he did come out, he would not have done anything anyway

Jan 30, 2006, 10:07 PM
    I really wish that my dog is not poisoned by my neighbors. I just want her to feel better. She was trembling, twitching and the doctors are treating her like renal failure. Because my budget is limited, the doctor suggested treating her rather than testing her. I don't know what to do. I am praying she will get better tomorrow. Someone shot your dog? How could anyone harm an animal and not feel guilty?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2006, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by prinxess
    I really wish that my dog is not poisoned by my neighbors. I just want her to feel better. She was trembling, twitching and the doctors are treating her like renal failure. Because my budget is limited, the doctor suggested treating her rather than testing her. I dont know what to do. I am praying she will get better tomorrow. Someone shot your dog? How could anyone harm an animal and not feel guilty?

You got to sort of understand the mentality of some of the people in this world. They see animals as merely that. Shooting a stray dog is nothing more than shooting a rabbit or a squirrel. My one neighbor brags about all the stray dogs he shoots and buries in his trash pile behind his house.

But in general, I have a black wife ( mixed marriage) and we had the nerve to move into a all white subdivision about 5 miles from town.
    Most people at least just ignore us, but some have went out of their way to make sure we know we are not wanted. But again the police will not do a report saying that, since there is no proof and a racial report has to be recorded and notified to state. And they don't want to show any trouble at all in their perfect area.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 05:11 AM
    I am always sorry to hear of a sick dog. I am not going to speculate on what happened. I will say that I use nothing for antifreeze except Prestone Lo Tox. It is propylene glycol based and much less toxic to dogs and other animals. At auto Zone, it costs the same as regular Prestone. It would take a little more of it to give the same protection, but that would only be a problem in the coldest areas. There are other brands. There is no good reason to use the ethylene glycol except that it always has been done. There are many little kids poisoned by antifreeze too. A tragedy when a safe alternative is available.

Antifreeze poisoning is a big problem. Few of us do such a good job of preventative maintenance that our car never leaks antifreeze. Even if we promptly take care of problems, it only takes one little puddle to kill a dog. It is sweet smelling and tasting. I may be surprised by a leak and a big bill, but my dogs will be safe.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Hi,
    I, too, am so sorry to hear about her. We lost our dog this past Sun, and are still grieving over her.
    You are very wonderful, to have her checked out as you are doing. Even with the money involved, I will say she is worth it!
    Since you don't know for sure that your neighbors had anything to do with this, I would just keep an eye on her more closely (if possible) when you bring her home.
    I do wish you and she the very best, and hope everything will be OK.

Jan 31, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Hi all, thanks for your reply. The doctor just called me. Her CR level gone down a bit but still in very critical condition. I stayed up all night finding local rescue and the aspca... hoping to find someone who can adopt her and is able to provide the continued medical care for her. But its hopeless, they told me no one wants a sick dog. I don't want her to die. Her name is Zoe, she is only one year old and she deserves a long life. My funding is running low at the hospital where she is staying at. If anyone knows anyone who can provide funding for her, they can adopt her. I am so hopeless, I don't know. I don't think she is going to make it through tonight. It is costing me over $500 a day for her stay in the hospital. I am not financially stable but I just don't know what to do. I can't let her go.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 09:17 AM
    It is really tough when you have to choose between the care your pet needs and eating for the next 6 months. Nothing I can say will help. It is far too common. Here is somebody else recently with the same problem.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=19113

Maybe you can help each other
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 09:52 AM
    Hi,
    As another said, situations like this are very, very hard.
    Five hundred dollars a day; I couldn't afford it.
    You have a hard decision to make, and my prayers are with you.
    The alternative is to have Zoe put to sleep, and is something that I didn't want to think about. I'm, by no means, suggesting it.
    Please talk with Zoe's doctor, explaining all you have here, and maybe both of you together, can determine what's best for her.

Jan 31, 2006, 10:03 AM
    I just got back from visiting her. They are going to do a sonogram on her kidneys for a couple hundred more. I don't know what to do. I am running into more debt and I hope Zoe feels better. When I visited Zoe this morning, Zoe looked better than when I admitted her to the hospital but worse than last night when I last saw her. Zoe was smiling last night and seem like she misses me but this morning, she seem like she is in so much pain. Am I being selfish to let her suffer like that, I should put her to sleep like everyone have been telling to because I do not have the financial capacity for her. But I just feel she is only one year old and she deserves so so so so so much more. My head is so heavy and I really wish I am doing the right thing. Inside of me, tells me that Zoe is going to be OK. But... sometimes I am unsure because I am going into a big debt. The hospital is asking me to apply for a pet credit card so interest is free for 3 months then I get charge an arm and a leg. I appreciate everyone's support by reading and replying to my forum. I feel a little better when there's someone actually out there listening to me. Thank you.

Feb 1, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Update: Zoe was put to sleep last night at 10:40pm. After the sonogram, the doctors said she had only 5% chance of living due to severe kidney damage (high potential of ethlyene gylcol poisoning). I know there can be a miracle but they said if I continue treating her, I would run into tens of thousands of dollars. I didn't want to put her to sleep but the doctor said that I couldn't take her home. So a friend of mine signed the papers to put her to sleep.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2006, 10:13 AM
    We were all wanting different news. I am happy you were up to letting us know. Some wise decisions hurt. Do not fall into the trap of blaming yourself. Bad things happen. I was still hurting 6 months after one. Then I went to the Imax to see The Lion King. The scene near the end, where the wise old ape is talking to Simba, helped me. Perhaps it may help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

End stage renal failure [ 8 Answers ]

My mother has been sent home to die with end stage renal failure and cerebral atrophy. She has been on dialysis for 15 months and doctors tell us let her die in peace. I am having a hard time with this. Is there anything we can try before she leaves us. I can't face the alternative of her dying...

Renal failure in a CAT [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My eight year old cat, Willy, was recently diagnosed with Kidney Renal Failure..KIDNEY RENAL FAILURE He is right on the border. I would like to know what is the difference between Perscription products for Kidneys and the other products.. For example, Low Phosphorus, reduced portein,...

Overweight Pomeranian [ 4 Answers ]

Am caring for a neighbor's 5-year-old neutered male Pom. Vet told neighbor that dog is overweight. We need to know what dog's weight should be in order to use feeding charts to help dog loose the excess weight. Does anyone know how to determine this dog's ideal weight?

When did you first suspect? [ 7 Answers ]

I am just wondering what made people first suspect that they might be pregnant. I am just curious about your symptoms or lack thereof. Also, those of you with irregular periods... did you have trouble conceiving?

Ethylene Glycol [ 1 Answers ]

I heard someone say tonight that they had remixed the antifreeze in their hot water heat furnace from 100 % to 50/50 because at 100 % it may freeze. This does not make sense

View more questions Search