Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babykat Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 07:41 AM
    CPU restarting by itself
    My personal computer would sometimes restart (reboot) immediately after I have shut it down. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any trouble with its functions.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Need more details about PC (age, CPU, OS) to help. Have you done regular maintenance (defrag etc.)?
    babykat Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 07:29 AM
    My PC is about 3 to 4 years old, running windows xp. CPU is pentium 4, 256 mb memory.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2007, 07:55 AM
    256M of RAM is very light for Win XP. Since RAM is pretty cheap I would bump it up. What about regular maintenance?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 18, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Since this happens occasionally, it *might* be because XP thinks its detected a system failure and is set to automatic restart.

I'm not sure if it set by default, but you can check for this.

Press Windows key + Pause/break key together to bring up the system properties windows.

Go to to the advanced tab, Startup and Recovery settings, and check if the box (Automatic restart) is checked. If it is, uncheck it.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 09:13 AM
    I know one of our PCs used to do this, but I can't remember how it was fixed, let me ask around.
    RSM Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Jul 19, 2007, 04:56 AM
    Hello, If you have not already completed Spyware, Malware, virus-worm scans, that is where I would begin. Spybot Search and Destroy is free and effective. Adaware by Lavasoft is excellent and also free. Microsoft clean up is good as are various products by Trend Micro (also all free) You would be amazed at how much crap can appear on a system that seems to be free of all this. If not a software issue then move onto drivers. Video drivers, in particular, when corrupted can cause all kinds of shut down and reboot problems. Uninstall and reinstall them and see if that helps. If none of this works, let me know. RSM
    pcrudy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 05:19 AM
    Try starting in safe mode and see if it reboots. Go the event viewer logs and see if there is any indication of what the computer is doing just before reboot. Go to msconfig and turn off 1/2 start up items; if that does not fix, turn off the other 1/2 and see if there is something running in the background.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPU fan starts, a low hum sound on speaker and a vroom sound from cpu/fan [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a new pentium 4 3.0 Ghz motherboard with 256 ram, connected everything as directed on the manual and plugged the power connector then started the computer. The fan starts then nothing else. All I hear is a very low hum/beep sound from the computer speaker which is immediately...

Windows keeps restarting [ 4 Answers ]

My windows keeps restarting itself.I think may be a virus but can't say for sure. Can Someone help out.. thanks

PC restarting [ 5 Answers ]

I have win xp PC.last weak am facing problem.am using my PC per day 12 hours. In this time 4 time PC autometic resart. I don't know what is a problem. Can you solve this things

Restarting Problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gigabyte k7 Triton GA-7N400 pro2 board and I had to reset the bios. After this I found I could no longer restart. The computer will shut down fine and start from cold boot with no problems but if I press ctrl + alt + del or restart from windows the computer will shutdown and begin to...

View more questions Search