Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oneplumber Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 07:02 PM
    Can tile be laid on existing concrete around existing drain
    I am about to pour a floor in a new home. I installed the shower drain and want to build
    A walk-in shower. Can I simply tile over the new floor.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2010, 05:24 AM
    Even with a sloped floor going to the drain you can apply tiles.

Think of an institutional application,say a hospital shower floor or a school gym shower floor.. they were small squares on a fiber mesh backing,The installation was with thin set and press in,cure and grout.

Just saw an ad on Fox News this weekend for Home Depot and their classes on doing exactly this.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 09:27 AM

Hi all..

Not clear on your answer KBC... are you saying they can or cannot install tile directly over the floor? Let us know... OK?

My answer to the question is that you CANNOT just lay tile down over the floor... not if you are planning on installing walls and a threshold at that shower.

At a minimum, you can install a paint on shower membrane... like red-guard... sold at home depot. Better yet, installing a vinyl membrane is easy and cheap. Best of all, a copper pan, but that is usually reserved for high end houses and almost never used in a basment or on slab.

If you want to discuss more... let us know...

Mark
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2010, 10:14 AM
    I'll clarify.

In my home I have an existing shower with a concrete floor,sloped to the drain near the middle of the floor.

I have had floor tile installers comment about me installing tiles for this floor.

They have said YES,that I COULD do this.Existing tile walls(from a ceramic silo,recovered for this use) and the concrete floor below(I would have to acid wash the painted floor to prep for the tiles)but I can install sectional tiles on a thin set base(perhaps raising the drain to the thickness of the new tiles)but it would be the same as any other tile installation.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 02:42 PM

I got you!

Sure, if a floor is sloped toward the middle of the floor and there will be no walls or a threshold then I see no reason you can't just set tile down and go, but most people won't be doing work like this. Most people will certainly not be installing tile on a "ceramic silo,recovered for this use" as you have done with yours (or will do).

Most people will have walls made of concrete board and a threshold and they will want to protect them from mold/mildew/leaks, etc... ;)

Perhaps one plumber could let us know more about his particular setup so we can better advise?

We'll see soon enough...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I install a tub drain in existing concrete floor? [ 2 Answers ]

We are finishing our basement. Our home is 110 years old. The basement used to be dirt floor but in the 40's it got concreted. At some point a water closet existed because there is a toilet drain and sink drain and vent. We want to add a clawfoot tub a urinal, sink and toilet.There is no drain for...

Interior concrete floors over the existing concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

Can you put an interior decorative concrete floor over an existing concrete slab that now is carpeted

Peel & Stick tile over existing tile [ 2 Answers ]

Can you install peel and stick tile over existing ceramic tile (bathroom). I am trying too but the tiles don't won't to adhere? I have even sprayed 3M adhesive first!

Adding bath drain in concrete for existing half bath [ 1 Answers ]

I want to turn a half bath into a full bath in my basement. Currently the washer and dryer along with the water heater are in the half bath along with the commode and sink. I want to add a bath tub and the lay out of the room is such that the tub installation would probably require less work if it...

Using existing tub drain line in concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new whirlpool tub in place of an existing conventional tub. The old sink drain terminates into a concrete slab. The new sink drain will be at least 2 feet from the old. What are my options? Is there anyway of tieing in the new drain into the old drain without taking up all the...

View more questions Search