Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pietra1000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 03:52 AM
    Grieving Cat
    My two female cats lived together for nearly 17 years. It's been one month now since Pietra suddenly died, and Pumpkin (who has been diagnosed with cancer last august) has not been the same kitty since. She's constantly meowing (the low guttural cry, the baby screaming cry, the please help me cry) agitated and angry. I've taken her to the vet, who tells me this could be very normal, and should pass. But it hasn't. I'm home in the evenings with Pumpkin after work, but she wants nothing to do with me. Occasionally, at bedtime, she'll come to one of her many cardboard boxes and allow me to pet her, but she's still crying and unhappy. The vet says bringing another kitty into the home would be a mistake at her age. And I don't know how long she'll last with the cancer growing inside her. I really hate to see her so unhappy, and can't be sure if she's just vocalizing or if she's experiencing more. Vet says no pain. I can't be sure. She still eats, although 1/2 as much as normal, drinks a lot of water, and goes to the litter box with no issues. What should I do?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 04:10 AM
    I know its hard to do nothing at all and I think in this case that is the best option and let her work it through herself. You are probably right, she is grieving. Animals alone after being with a life long partner do that. She misses her friend who was always there and she doesn't understand why she is alone now and I guess a human doesn't really take the place in this case. All you can do is offer as much support and affection as she will possibly accept.
    teghancat Posts: 24, Reputation: -1

Mar 17, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pietra1000
    My two female cats lived together for nearly 17 years. It's been one month now since Pietra suddenly died, and Pumpkin (who has been diagnosed with cancer last august) has not been the same kitty since. She's constantly meowing (the low gutteral cry, the baby screaming cry, the please help me cry) agitated and angry. I've taken her to the vet, who tells me this could be very normal, and should pass. But it hasn't. I'm home in the evenings with Pumpkin after work, but she wants nothing to do with me. Occassionally, at bedtime, she'll come to one of her many cardboard boxes and allow me to pet her, but she's still crying and unhappy. The vet says bringing another kitty into the home would be a mistake at her age. And I don't know how long she'll last with the cancer growing inside her. I really hate to see her so unhappy, and can't be sure if she's just vocalizing or if she's experiencing more. Vet says no pain. I can't be sure. She still eats, although 1/2 as much as normal, drinks a lot of water, and goes to the litter box with no issues. What should I do?
    I don't agree with the vet. I think adopting another cat might distract her and encourage her to come out of her grieving process. A kitten would be best because she might feel maternal
    And loving towards it. She is just lonely
    Texie Studstill Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2009, 06:29 PM

I know that the vet said knoe but you never know the reaction that the cat will have. See if its possible to bring a kitten that looks like your old cat and home for two or three days. Ask your local shelter if you can foster a kitten and explain the situation. It may turn out to be a success and if not the shelter will take the kitten back at no expence to you.
    turtlegirl16 Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 10:38 AM

I can relate... I had a cats named Kesha and Teddy, both persians and they loved each other even though Teddy was much older. When Teddy died, Kesha grew more and more like teddy by the second, and I would hear her cry in the middle of the night.

My point though, your cat is probably lonely, and she may feel the cancer's toll on her, like texie studstill said, foster a kitten that looks like the old one. Maybe try giving her attention even when she doesn't want it so that way it shows you love her no matter what!
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Apr 7, 2009, 08:08 PM

Hope you're still there Pietra on the site. I hope that Pumpkin is surviving also and is not enduring much pain. I'm curious as to what the outcome was/is. I had a similar situation. I just didn't know that my (one) cat even liked my other one until she too suddenly passed. I didn't pay a lot of attention at first because I couldn't eat, sleep, etc. I did soon realize my cat was mourning the loss also. It was heartbreaking but I was glad to know that she did indeed love her.
    This is a very very helpful site here at askmehelpdesk. When I come across posts such as yours, I usually try to encourage the person to check out APLG.org if you feel you yourself needs support whether it's the loss or you are expecting a loss. If you look at the site you will see. I'm not trying to sell anything. I just know how painful these things can be. I am a very huge animal lover. The site was helpful to me. Best wishes and I hope you are well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

My dog is grieving [ 6 Answers ]

My husband passed away late last month, quite unexpectedly. We have 2 dogs - a 4 year old German Shepherd/Gordon Setter mix we adopted at 5 months that absolutely adored him and a 3 year old AKC GSD we've had since she was 6 weeks old that is more my dog. "His" dog trusted no one when we got her...

Relationship is put on hold because she is grieving, what should I do? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I just need advice on what to do. Me and my girlfriend have just recently been dating. We're both 21. We both lost a really good friend who's VERY important in our life. I don't want to give out specifics because it hurts too much to explain. She told me that she had to put the...

Grieving dog [ 3 Answers ]

My 10 year old jack russell died very suddenly at home about one week ago his best friend is my 8 year old female jack russell who is now grieving. We are trying to keep her happy and feel needed and loved, but how do we help her when we are at work all day. I leave both a radio & TV on for her,...

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

View more questions Search