Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cita1996 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2015, 01:29 PM
    My ex had a car that he paid for before we met and later signed the title over to me
    My ex had a car that he paid for before we met and later signed it over to me, so the title and insurance are in my name, he is taking me to small claims court for replevin
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 26, 2015, 01:48 PM
    Has he taken the car bck yet? What defense is he using that it is still his since he signed over the title ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 26, 2015, 02:57 PM
    Is he claiming that you got it 'wrongfully' somehow? Deceit? You didn't hold a gun to his head.
    I would guess that he doesn't have a case, because you didn't commit fraud, presumably, but judges in small claims have a lot of leeway to make arbitrary decisions.

If you ditched him right after getting it, convincing him that you needed it for a job, for example, who knows, you might lose. How long were you together, and how long before you broke up did he sign it over to you? How much is it worth (what year and make)?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2015, 04:09 PM
    Replevin is a civil action to recover a piece of personal property that a person refuses to return to you. In a replevin action, the plaintiff, your ex, must prove he has a legal right to the possession of the property, such as ownership of it, and that the defendant, you, has wrongful possession of the property. From what you have said, I don't see that as the case.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 26, 2015, 08:56 PM
    Of course, a judge can pretty much do what they want but if that title is in your name and he isn't on it, then that car is pretty much yours.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 27, 2015, 12:41 PM
    And do you have a question?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paid for CAR in CASH in FULL - Dealer Holding Title/Lien [ 9 Answers ]

I live in PA. I purchased a car and paid 4000.00 in cash. I gave the dealer a post dated check for 1500.00 to satisfy the cost of the car. The verbal agreement was 5500.00 all in (out the door) taxes/title/registration fees etc... I did not receive any confirmation/receipt that the dealer...

I am getting a divorce, I signed the title of my wife's car over to my wife.. [ 2 Answers ]

She won't return the license plates.My insurance company won't let me take the car off my policy until I show proof it isn't registerd any longer in my name. I cannot unregister it until I turn the plates into the DMV,, how should I proceed?

My ex boyfriend took my car... We co signed it on the title... what should I do ? [ 7 Answers ]

We both signed the title... I moved away and came back and he wouldn't give my car back... he had a car and got rid of it... so he kept mine... I came back and told him I wanted my car back. And he won't give it back.. tells me I have to give him 300 dollars to get it back... when we traded the...

Co signed car loan and title [ 12 Answers ]

I cosigned on an auto loan with our daughter. The car title and loan are in both of our names. She is going to move out and has been unreliable in making payments. I have had to bail her out more than once. I want her to either get the loan and title in her name alone or turn in her car. She...

View more questions Search