Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnlramirez Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Construction cleanup and crime scene cleanup
    Im starting a janitorial business in California, and part of my business that I am going to be doing is construction cleanup and crime scene cleanup. I need help with knowing what routes to go for the both of those.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 07:04 PM

Please be more definitive when you say: "I need help with knowing what routes to go for the both of those."

Do you have any business experience, if so please let us know what experience you have besides the actual cleaning.

Do have any knowledge of the cleaning business, either commercial or residential?

I can tell you briefly that there are different types of construction clean ups: "Broom Cleans", Final clean ups", etc.

But crime scene clean ups involve so much more. First and for most you need a Hazard Communication Program laying out in writing exactly what precautions you and your employees need to adhere to. And this is something that involves some government control. There is much to learn prior to doing crime scene clean ups and a strong stomach is usually a necessity. At the least there would be body fluids such as blood, feces, urine, etc. Per all approved standards; any body fluid or part of the body is considered especially and extremely dangerous and contagious.

Is there good money in crime scene clean ups, yes. But the price you will pay if not prepared is not worth all the money in this world...

If you are willing to go down that road and become an expert with an awareness of the dangers then I suggest you contact; insurance companies, local police departments, etc and register with them for these jobs.

I have been in the commercial janitorial business for over 25 years, I presently own three of these companies and we mostly focus on the medical market. And we are now considering moving into this market (crime clean up) and we have always trained our employees in detail about universal precautions. And I believe that we need even more training prior to making this move.

I hope I helped in some way, please give us more information and let us know.

Stringer
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 08:47 PM

You normally have to be special hazmat license, training and equipment to do crime scene clean ups.

Jan 15, 2009, 12:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Please be more definitive when you say: "I need help with knowing what routes to go for the both of those."

Do you have any business experience, if so please let us know what experience you have besides the actual cleaning.

Do have any knowledge of the cleaning business, either commercial or residential?

I can tell you briefly that there are different types of construction clean ups: "Broom Cleans", Final clean ups", etc.

But crime scene clean ups involve so much more. First and for most you need a Hazard Communication Program laying out in writing exactly what precautions you and your employees need to adhere to. And this is something that involves some government control. There is much to learn prior to doing crime scene clean ups and a strong stomach is usually a necessity. At the least there would be body fluids such as blood, feces, urine, etc. Per all approved standards; any body fluid or part of the body is considered especially and extremely dangerous and contagious.

Is there good money in crime scene clean ups, yes. But the price you will pay if not prepared is not worth all the money in this world....

If you are willing to go down that road and become an expert with an awareness of the dangers then I suggest you contact; insurance companies, local police departments, etc and register with them for these jobs.

I have been in the commercial janitorial business for over 25 years, I presently own three of these companies and we mostly focus on the medical market. And we are now considering moving into this market (crime clean up) and we have always trained our employees in detail about universal precautions. And I believe that we need even more training prior to making this move.

I hope I helped in some way, please give us more information and let us know.

Stringer
    Pretty much in detail I'm actually starting my own commercial cleaning business and the construction cleanup and the crime scene cleanup is going to be two of the fields I'm going to be working. I know the basics of the commercial cleaning and construction cleanup. I need to know what is involved. Where to go to get accounts how to bid on accounts. What kind of equipment is needed. And for the crime scene cleanup I have never done anything like that so I am pretty much in the dark when I say I'm starting fresh on that field of work.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2009, 12:25 AM

Hi, jnlramirez!

You say that you already know the basics of the commercial cleaning and the construction clean-up. But, how much experience have you actually had working for others cleaning in order to make a profit for yourself, please?

Knowledge about how one might do those things is one thing, but a working knowledge due to experience is another thing altogether.

It would be helpful to know how much working experience in those areas you already have.

Stringer is exceptionally experienced and can help you greatly! If you need some help with how to market yourself, I can definitely help you there!

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2009, 01:07 AM

You know what that's exactly what I need to get my business off the ground is any help that you can provide. I myself have never been a business owner so I'm pretty much going at this thing blind. I was thinking about joining the chamber of commerce here where I live but not sure how that will help. I don't really know any thing about the construction clean up but that should be a given. Now the crime scene cleanup is where I have no idea about what the work entails. Anyway I could really use help on getting my business up and running. The crime scene cleanup will come at a later date once I have my business established and up and running.

Jan 16, 2009, 01:10 AM
    Also I need to know what I need to do to bid on accounts how to figure out what I need to charge the customer. I don't want to charge too much and scare away the potential client. Also I don't want to bid to low. I will only be hurting myself. I have a couple of friends who do own their own business and they are telling me all the time when running a business always bid way under. Does that sound desperate. Any advice would help.
    Business Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 09:14 AM

Jnlramirez, I am in total agreement about the "crime clean ups." In good conscious, I was about to tell you that you are not prepared for the very clear dangers involved. I would compare doing this business now as asking some one who has never ice skated to go out and get a gold metal for figure skating. I took a breath of relief when I saw that you realized this too. Later as you gain more experience it may be something that you could consider.

First, please research the many threads and responses on AMHD concerning commercial cleaning and specifically construction clean ups, you will find very informative and thoughtful answers by many here at the Desk.That will give you a jump start.

Construction clean ups:

1) Ask the client a lot of questions, ALWAYS; Determine what type of building; warehouse, office building, medical building, etc.

A. Is this the final clean up for "move in" or a progressive clean?

B) Are we to completely clean and throw out EVERYTHING? If not, what stays?
    (Is there an empty outside dumpster and where exactly is it?)

C) If VCT and carpets are involved, are you to clean the carpets and strip and refinish the VCT and/or other hard floors i.e. marble, granite, etc?

D) How many washrooms? Are windows (inside and out) to be cleaned?

E) Is there anything that is out of the ordinary about this building? Or unusual items/things in this building to be cleaned?
    (Example; if a warehouse... are you to do any cleaning with the shelving or rack? If offices; are you to only vacuum or completely extract and clean all the carpets, etc?)

F) If a final clean before "move in;" Are you to make everything ready? Example are you to clean or dust all the walls, all the ceiling vents, all the little "exit" signs up high?

G) What is the time line for your expected completion?

Pricing is always difficult; competition, going prices in you area/market, labor costs, AND making a profit (most important, as something that I learned a thousand years ago... EACH job has to "stand on it's own.....you must show a profit. I don't think that one day you want to turn around and have to ask yourself if you should now be a "non-profit" company... *joke.*)

I have presented you with many questions above that need answers before anyone can even suggest pricing, please go to the prospective client with a list of questions and get some facts.

Although this is an excellent business to be in, experience and knowledge are vital to survival. In my immediate market, there are 3,872 incorporated commercial cleaning companies swimming around my raft like sharks. And that figure does not include residential cleaning companies, who from time to time venture into the commercial market , under price the jobs which hurts themselves AND everyone else. It is not a bad idea to have an "arms length" relationship with those companies that are your primary competitors. Go to all the seminars you can, join your local Chamber, and go to all the trade shows that you can. Join our business associations such as the BSCAI which is sponsoring a large trade show in Chicago this March, you can learn a ton AND develop relationships, Along with many seminars that are precisely designed to our industry, ASK QUESTIONS ALWAYS.

Do the due diligence always Jnlramirez, preparation and knowledge are your best hedges against failure.

So please come back with some answers and search the threads I suggested for a wealth of information.

Stringer

Jan 16, 2009, 02:16 PM

Wow thank you for that information. I was curious to know what is the BSCAI. And is there any way that I can get any information for southern California San Diego area. I am ecstatic about starting my business for that is a big step for me. I am verry nervous at the same time for I do not want to fail starting or ever. Is there a right way or a wrong way to market my business. And how exactly will I know what is the right price to charge a client. What is the normal going rate that companies are charging the client.
    Business Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 03:50 PM

My major in college was marketing and business management and I am involved in marketing for my companies, however Clough is the expert in that area on this site as far as I (and many more) are concerned.

Failure is not all bad Jnlramirez you learn things from everything that you do or have tired to do. But the drive to succeed is only found in a select few I am afraid.

You have to continually stay in a learning mode. In the past, I had started and lost two companies that were not involved in cleaning each lasted about two years or so. I lost them, not because I did something wrong or lack of desire or effort. But because of things that I thought at the time were out of my control. I learned valuable lessons in the process, lessons that have benefited me with my businesses now. One particular lesson; always have cash reserves. Always remember that people who do not make mistakes... are not doing anything. You continue to learn, gather experience and... hopefully wisdom. Don't make the same mistakes repeatedly, that is stupid. Starting, don't bite off more than you can chew...

Some ideas for marketing: on-line, calling cards, local papers, magazines, trade shows, networking, brochures and to me, one of the most vital... get your butt out there and knock on as many doors as you can... never stop prospecting for new business.

You may have to make 100 calls (phone and in person) to have 3-4 good appointments to make one good sale... that's what it takes. Success is beautiful and stressful. At first you have no money, then when you do, you have to worry about how to keep it... but everything starts with the very first and second step. Seldom does the client beat down your door and plead with you to please let me buy your service... really?

To me the two best ways to get business; knock on doors (and always follow up) and word of mouth (networking)... talk to everybody (period). On-line advertising is also another great method.

BSCIA (The Building Service Contractors Association International) is one of several associations that represents service contractors in the USA and internationally.

www.BSCAI.org or Google it. You may also want to go to many other sites such as How to Start a Successful Cleaning Business, join for a nominal fee and get great info and advice, for newbies and experienced colleagues. Even a question and answer service there.

Once everything is equal and you have experience not only in the actual cleaning aspect but the BUSINESS end of it too, it comes down to pricing way too often. Too many companies rely strictly on low price and do not value added selling, and in the short or long run , they loose and go out of business. When you are certain that you and your company are the best around it is foolish to give it away. Starting, this can be understood because you need business... now. But shortly thereafter you need to become a problem solver and sell your service at a cost that reflects your service and your pride in yourself.

Knowing the right price to bid is a hit and miss thing, you will loose a lot before you start having some success or you may get lucky. But isn't it funny that luck follows hard work... Pricing varies a lot around the country, difficult to even suggest prices to you. There are so many factors in pricing; type of building, density of the building, and competition as I mentioned before.

I am successful in many ways; personally, in love, in friendships and in my businesses. I work primarily when I want to, my time is my own. But I am always thinking and plannig about the business and new ideas or problem solving something. But let me tell you that, that has been for the last 8 to 10 years, before that there were times that I didn't see a bed for three days... that's what it takes... "failure is not an option" you do whatever (with morals) it takes to get the job done and be successful and build references, they are priceless.

It's funny really, I have friends that think that all I do is get up around 10 am and work maybe 1 or 2 hours a day, have everything that I want and that I have people that do everything that I need done. True, I do have these people, trusted loyal employees (about 500 of them) that I take care of and pay a lot of money too. But I am always planning and thinking how it can be done better. And I still enjoy making cold sales calls to new prospects when ever I get the chance.

The whole point here IS THIS Jnlramirez: (secret) YOU want people to make the money for you... use your money to make more money... Ha, people pay a lot to get that secret that I just gave you free and it is a simple one. But for this you have to get the money and business... simple fact.Then what you do with it to promote your company, yourself and make your life and your family's life easier is the true test of your metal.

I give seminars and I am a guest speaker at local colleges, associations, local Chambers, etc. I get great pleasure in helping others succeed... Yes I am paid most of the time for this, but not always. I give talks at local high schools that give me great pleasure also.

I wish you success and "luck" and please let me know if I helped at all,

Stringer

Jan 16, 2009, 06:54 PM

Man ohh Man it seems like you know a lot. A knowledgeable person is hard to come by. I need someone like yourself to be partners with. Haha anyway it is good to hear that even in a down economy that there are still good people out there to help others starting. The way I see it is if I can succeed in a down economy there shouldn't be any reason for me to fail in a good economy that's my view on it. Thank you again for all your information. If you can think of anything else that might help me out that would be great thanks a lot for passing the knowledge. You have been a lot of help. The only thing I can really do now is be coachable to the information people have passed on to me and take off running and pray for a excellent start.
    Business Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 07:36 PM

The drive, persistence, courage and ambition you have will be the determining factor Jnlramirez, make smart decisions always. Always gather all the information available and ask questions... question everything.

Thank you, I am glad I was able to assist you, pass on the favor to those here and otherwise and help them.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Construction Site Cleanup [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to get ballpark costs for construction site clean up. I am starting my own cleaning business and would like to bid but would like to know general information before I try it.

Construction cleanup [ 1 Answers ]

I am wanting to know how much to charge to do a construction cleanup for a rec building? How should I type up my bid? I am new to this and I have no idea what I should charge for windows etc.. should it all be included in the overall price?

Computer Cleanup [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm a young teen and I was curious like other young teens , I hear nasty things on the school bus which really bothers me so I went to a couple adult websites and I'm not proud of it what I do which computer cleanup can I use to take all of those histories away because it is a major issue it can...

View more questions Search