Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 10:31 AM
    An Idea I have Thanks to AMHD
    So in reading all of the posts here on the dog forum I got to thinking. Many of the posts here are from dachshund owners and some owners that don't seem over joyed with their new pet. I started to worry about where these pets go if they do not mix in well with their new home. I got online and realized that NY and many of the New England States do not have a dachshund rescue organization.

I think I want to look into starting one. Does anyone know how I would go about doing that? Who do I contact, are there laws about such an undertaking. Even in my Google searching I did not find much information.

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Great idea. I would start at the AKC link, American Kennel Club - Breed Rescue I am sure Dachshund rescues in other areas, or other breed rescues in New England would love to help. It is sad to say, but in some cases there is a big bureaucratic hassle. In 2001 Virginia had a bill that would have eliminated small, home based ones. I actually printed up fliers opposing it and distributed them. The bill was defeated.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Tuscany, you are such a sweetheart. Follow labman's cue. You can also take a look at all the dachsund listings on Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten..

I did a search for you and there are a few rescue groups. One out of Mass, 2 out of NJ.
    Instead of the hassle of starting up your own group, you may want to contact one or all of these groups and join them as a foster Mom. All rescue groups need as many foster families as possible. They have a system already in place and will explain exactly what is needed from you. It is also a great way to make new friends and meet other Dachsund lovers.

Dachshund Rescue of North America - Northeast

Almost Home Dachshund Rescue Society

Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Mar 27, 2007, 03:57 PM
    My Grandparents always had Dachshunds. About 1/2 they found. We always had thought they had gotten lost and the thought that they might have been abandon really never crossed our mind. Some of them had minor to us problems, such as one did not like kids [we kids left him alone].
    But being as it was a farm, the dogs only allowed in the kitchen at night and out on the farm all day they got into little trouble.
    One dog was really a pig and would eat its food so fast it would get sick.We cured that by putting big rocks on its food so the dog would have to push them out of the way. One day my granny went to feed the dog and the rocks where in its bed. She thought my brother or I was moving them.
    About a week later this seed salesman came back to deliver to seed that we had ordered [always at lunch time]. Sitting there eating and looked over and that dog was carrying those rocks across the room and hiding them in his bed.

Might be a good idea to get a pet story thread going lol -- Savage

Edit -- with the found dogs my grand parents would sit there and kept saying German names till they hit on one. Always did wonder if it was really the dogs name or just a word they liked.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Good story Savage.

Yeah, from what I was seeing on petfinder, there seem to be a lot of dachshunds up for adoption. And, considering what we are seeing on the boards lately, well,. let's just say, it doesn't leave me wondering why.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 04:34 AM
    And it kills me that people don't just love their doxies. But, I find that dogs are like kids... products of their environments. If they are left unattended, held unaccountable, and able to run free, that is what they will do, and that creates an unruly dog. People who do not have the time for a dog should not get one, they are a huge commitment. But one that I would take on every day of the week.

Thank so much everyone. Ruby, I contacted the Coast to Coast Rescue via e-mail yesterday and am waiting for a reply. I will keep you posted.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Good for you Tuscany! Don't be put off if it takes them a while to respond. Their primary objective is to get the dogs adopted out. A lot of these groups are small, one or two people operations. They started with the same idea you had. They work all day and run these out of their homes. So, they contact people when they can find a moment to talk. But, you are better off helping out than actually running your own. The paperwork, the licensing requirements, dealing with the nutty "adopters", ACK! It is so time consuming. Two heads are always better than one and they will really appreciate anyone dedicated to helping them out. It also will allow you the freedom to live your life, without worrying about all that other stuff I mentioned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

12 months on! Thanks AMHD [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All, Well most of you know my story and if not most of you will know how to find it! I noticed this morning when I got to work that it is the 12th March which means I would have been with my ex girlfriend for 8 years today had she not broke up with me about a year and a week ago. I just...

Happy Holidays To All @ AMHD [ 6 Answers ]

Happy Holidays To All :) Hope everyone has a great time and enjoys the true spirt of Christmas:D And Santa brings all you have asked for ! http://www.holy-spirit-led-christian.com/images/christmas-3.jpg May peace shine out for Christmas across the world

View more questions Search