Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 14, 2018, 02:19 PM
    Is the waste pipe trap supposed to get this cold?
    I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I'm looking to start sheetrocking in a few months. The frigid temps here in New York have been a really good test of the insulation I installed. Where the waste pipe exits the house, I have a cast iron trap with a vent that exits the house at ground level. I installed 1" rigid foam insulation right against the sides of the trap and spray foamed the gaps. I also installed Roxul in the framed 2x4 wall a foot away from the foundation to neatly cover up the pipes. I will be installing access panels to the clean outs.

When the temps were hovering around 10*F this morning, I noticed the area in the basement around the trap was very cold. I took out my infrared temp gun and realized the portion of the pipe that exits the house was 32* and the lower part of the pipe, where the water sits, was about 40*.

I've lived in the house for 10 years and I've never had a problem. But once the wall in front of the trap is sheetrocked, less warm air will be coming in contact with the trap.

This might seem like a silly question, but do I need to worry about water freezing inside the waste pipe?

Since the main vent stack is about 4 feet to the left of the trap and I have two inline vents located in other areas, is the vent connected to the trap necessary?

Thanks,
    Logan
    Attached Images

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 14, 2018, 04:46 PM
    is the vent connected to the trap necessary?

IMHO, no

do I need to worry about water freezing inside the waste pipe? yes
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2018, 05:58 PM
    Hi Logan

A lot of towns/cities require these whole house traps so my guess is that your town/city does require it, but it can't hurt to call the local plumbing inspector and see if the whole house trap is still needed. If it is not needed, hiring a plumber to cut it out and plug off the vent is not a bad thing. If the whole house trap is required, I would not worry about it too much, but I might install a louvered access panel to allow some heat to escape into the trap area. Here, I would insulate around the trap (but not insulate the trap itself) above, below and to the sides, and that should keep the cold from the foundation area from entering the home. After that, I see no way that the whole house trap could ever freeze up.

Back to you...

Mark

PS: I don't see a VAPOR BARRIER associated with the insulation? Check local codes as they may require vapor barrier to be installed here.

Jan 15, 2018, 07:50 AM
    I definitely want to keep the whole house trap. I'm just trying to find out if it needs to be vented the way it is. Other newer homes that I've seen with a PVC trap don't have the venting like mine. It goes up through the house and out the roof. I have that, too. It's just 4 feet behind the trap.

During my basement insulation research, I read that the 1" XPS foam board would serve as a vapor retarder, allowing moisture in the block to dry to the interior if needed. My town's building inspector confirmed that the foam board in combination with the Roxul satisfies code requirements.

The louvered doors is a good idea. I may have to go that route to keep the trap warm, especially since I now see frost at the top of the trap where the vent exits the foundation. I noticed some moisture in that area yesterday due to the warm, moist inside air coming in contact with the cold cast iron.

Would it be possible to temporarily cover up the outside vent to warm up the trap a bit?
    Attached Images

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 15, 2018, 08:58 AM
    This trap in addition to a vent out the roof? Some codes require it? I don't understand.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 15, 2018, 03:37 PM
    Hi Logan

Ask the plumbing inspector if you can do away with the vent from the house trap. Since you have a separate vent going out the roof he may allow the trap vent to be removed and capped off at the trap... certainly can't hurt to ask.

Feb 25, 2018, 07:28 AM
    The building inspector gave me the OK to cap the vent. Before making any permanent modifications, I’m going to temporarily plug the opening to make sure everything still works properly. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Waste and trap won't fit together [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new whirlpool bath from b&q with a waste pipe supposedly measuring 1.5 inches as standard, however none of the 1.5 traps I have bought will fit this. I need a bath and b&q won't help. Any ideas?

Does the overflow pipe have to be directly over the waste line pipe in the subfloor? [ 1 Answers ]

We are installing a new tub in the exact spot the old tub stood, but the drain in the new tub is in the center of the length of the tub instead of the end like almost every other tub out there. (Its freestanding like a clawfoot tub but with a pillar base. -made for 2 people) We need to move the...

P-trap to 2" waste pipe for a new sink [ 13 Answers ]

I'm installing a new sink. The iron waste pipe that sticks 4" out of the wall is 2" in diameter. My sink has a 1.25" drain pipe installed. I know that I can get a P-trap with 1.5" ion both ends, but can I get one with 1.5" on the sink end and 2" on the waste pipe end? If not, what are my...

Connecting PVC P-Trap to Metal Waste Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing the drain in the bathroom lavatory. Is it OK to connect PVC to the existing metal pipe in the wall?

Replace Lead Pipe from Toilet to Hubless Waste Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

My house is a craftsman style house from 1912 in Oakland, California. I have a big hole in a 24" horizontal lead pipe that bends at 90 degrees and connects the only toilet in the house to the hubless waste pipe. How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of...

View more questions Search