Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wd16419 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2011, 07:38 PM
    If a hose is connected to a hose bibb will we be able to get water from our neighbor?
    Our main water line is broken, we have hooked up a garden hose from a water source to our outside hose bibb, but we have no water inside. We understood this was a temporary fix, are we doing something wrong? The hose bibb is not a frost-freeze, and we have water coming out of the garden hose when it is not connected to the house.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 07:44 PM

So you have
    1. closed the line that comes into the house from the water main. ** it has to be closed of course at the meter so the city water does not merely leak, but you also have to close it at the entrance to the home, or the water from the hose will just go out the leak also.

Also is there a back feed preventer on the outside water bibb, All of my outside bibbs have back feed preventer that will not allow water to come back though the house.

But if there is nothing to stop the back feed, if the inlet from the street at the house is closed, this should work, won't have a lot of pressure but should give you some water
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 08:12 PM

I just want to confirm Chuck's answer: yes, it will work... Just make sure you close main water valve off in front of the house and the hose bib is part of interior house plumbing, not part of sprinkler system.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 08:28 PM

You do have the hose bib to which you connected the hose open don't you?
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Mar 6, 2011, 08:47 PM
    Odds are your exterior hose bibb has a backflow preventer, in many areas code requires these on outside hose bibbs to prevent contamanation if a siphon occors introducing outside water into the household plumbing. If you need to do this for temporary water, I suggest you run the hose into the house and connect it to your washing machine hookup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I stop leaking around the hose cuff where the hose screws in? [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed an above ground pool. I bought hoses from Home Depot because the ones that came with the pool were too short. I had to buy the hose by the foot so the ends have the coils and not the end pieces that the factory hoses have. I bought hose cuffs to screw onto the ends and then the...

Shower Hose Leaking, removed hose pipe drips [ 5 Answers ]

Previously it was leaking at the top where shower hose goes onto the threads of the pipe at top, I wrapped the threads with teflon tape so that now that part is dry, no leaking, but the hose continues to leak at the bottom (hand held piece). I totally unscrewed the shower hose from the pipe and see...

How to unscrew shower hose to cut the leaking part of hose [ 1 Answers ]

How to unscrew shower hose to cut the leaking part of hose: I found a crack or tear inside shower card near to end. I've successfully unscrew the shower head, but not able to unscrew the remaining, so that I can cut the damaged part out... it looks like new and shiney, but it's very tightout...

Plumbing sweating copper pip to brass hose bibb [ 5 Answers ]

I own a house with vinyl sidding. I have to change a hose bibb that's already sweated . How do I protect the sidding from being damaged? Thanks tony s

View more questions Search