Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Apr 12, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Ford Warranty Claim
    I've got a 2001 Ford Mustang GT with 60,000 miles, that I just brought into the dealiership because it started to run rough, and lost power. The car is bone stock with the exception of a K&N air filter. I received a call from the servicing dealership, stating that 2 of the pistons have holes in it, and that they needed a Ford Representative / Tech to come out and look at the vehicle. So 2 days go by, and the dealership calls me again, stating that the Ford Tech came out, looked at the car, and took an oil sample. They are going to let me know if it is covered under warranty based on an oil analysis. Here is my question (and concern). I rarely take the car to full throttle. I don't race it or beat on it. And I use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. Last time I changed the oil was July of 06. I drove the car until September of 06, then garaged the car for the winter (I have a beater that I drive for winter). Since the oil change, the car has approximately 5,000 miles on the oil in the motor. I normally change it the first week after having it out, but on the way to the hardware store (first day of it being out) it started running real rough. So at this point, I drove the car home, garaged it, and called the Ford dealer. The next time I drove it was on the way to the dealer. My main concern, is that they are going to do the oil analysis, and say that the oil looks bad, and deny my warranty claim. Is 5,000 miles too long between oil changes for synthetic? I've heard that the norm is to change synthetic every 5,000, or sooner if the car is in a lot of stop and go traffic (I live in the country, not much stop and go here).

I also do all of my own oil changes, and really didn't think about keeping receipts for them until my friend mentioned that the dealer might ask for them. Should I be OK with my warranty claim? Does anyone know the procedure that Ford goes through when processing a warranty claim like this? If the warranty work is honored, they are putting a remanufactured motor in the car.
    CSM Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 13, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by modular01
    I've got a 2001 Ford Mustang GT with 60,000 miles, that I just brought into the dealiership because it started to run rough, and lost power. The car is bone stock with the exception of a K&N air filter. I received a call from the servicing dealership, stating that 2 of the pistons have holes in it, and that they needed a Ford Representative / Tech to come out and look at the vehicle. So 2 days go by, and the dealership calls me again, stating that the Ford Tech came out, looked at the car, and took an oil sample. They are going to let me know if it is covered under warranty based on an oil analysis. Here is my question (and concern). I rarely take the car to full throttle. I don't race it or beat on it. And I use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. Last time I changed the oil was July of 06. I drove the car until September of 06, then garaged the car for the winter (I have a beater that I drive for winter). Since the oil change, the car has approximately 5,000 miles on the oil in the motor. I normally change it the first week after having it out, but on the way to the hardware store (first day of it being out) it started running real rough. So at this point, I drove the car home, garaged it, and called the Ford dealer. The next time I drove it was on the way to the dealer. My main concern, is that they are going to do the oil analysis, and say that the oil looks bad, and deny my warranty claim. Is 5,000 miles too long between oil changes for synthetic? I've heard that the norm is to change synthetic every 5,000, or sooner if the car is in alot of stop and go traffic (I live in the country, not much stop and go here).

I also do all of my own oil changes, and really didn't think about keeping receipts for them until my friend mentioned that the dealer might ask for them. Should I be ok with my warranty claim? Does anyone know the procedure that Ford goes through when processing a warranty claim like this? If the warranty work is honored, they are putting a remanufactured motor in the car.
    I don't know Ford's process. It is very unlikely that oil caused the burn through, I would suspect the fuel mixture was to lean, causing the piston head to burn through.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit Claim or Warranty Deed [ 5 Answers ]

I'm considering purchasing a piece of property in Florida and I have some concerns regarding the deed. The seller purchased unimproved land in April 2001 and obtained a warranty deed. Prior to this, it had a quit claim deed resulting from a transfer in May 1994. Before this, the property had a...

Quit claim vs. Warranty deed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I live in Michigan. Last June I purchased my house from my dad. Fourteen years ago when he bought the property there was some other property that was omitted from the deed that in turn my aunt who lives next door says that she owns. She will not show a deed for this property the register of...

Warranty expense/ warranty liability [ 1 Answers ]

I am really confused with the following problem and do not know where to even start. C Company began operating near the beginning of 2004. During 2004, C Co. sold plasma televisions for $2,000 each, all carrying a two-year warranty against defects. C company's cost for each plasma television was...

Warranty Deed [ 1 Answers ]

My mother and grandmother purchased some property in the state of Illinois. The problem is that both are now deceased and my brother and myself were considered the trustees to this estate. While we thought the property was in foreclosure someone from the bank forged both of our names to a warranty...

View more questions Search