Volitle.. emotionally, not physically
    Mild to moderately paranoid
    Dislikes most people, yet is very sweet and clingy to me
    No social skills
    Immature
    Insecure
    Gets very loud and emotional
    Repeats phrases... I hate you... you are my mortal enemy.. I could kill you

Parents said they had him tested... found ADD... wont give us the records... I know there is way more going on... they are going to start him on some sort of patch... I fear if misdiagnosed, it will make things worse.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 29, 2006, 03:56 PM
    What is your question? Also your story lacks credibilty to me since I know teachers have access to resources and support for this and you fail to mention any of that... and I take note of the id name.
    petkom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 10:07 AM
    The question is... Does anyone know what this behavior can be attributed to. Aspergers perhaps. The parents did not want him tested via the school resources, instead had him tested privately. They told us the results were ADD, which I highly doubt is the "main" thing they found. As a school, our hands are tied. There isn't much I can do, yet it would help to research on my own, so I know how to deal with him in an effective way. By the way, whoever posted the previous reply... you yourself sound a tad paranoid. I would hate to think that people with severe problems are posting here and you are doubting their sincerity. "I" have better things to do with my time then to post bogus questions in forums... things like helping my students!! If there are any "experts" out there that can help me narrow my search, in order to help this student, I would really appreciate it :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 30, 2006, 01:04 PM
    This does indeed sound like Aspergers Syndrome. It also could be another form of high functioning Autism.

Do you have a counselor in the school who is familiar with children like this?

Oct 30, 2006, 07:30 PM
    We do have a part-time counselor, but like I said, the parents are so afraid of their child being "labeled". They really get defensive when we try to talk to them. I am going to try to talk to them myself, as the teacher and a parent myself, and try to get them to open up. He may have had an additional diognosis that they are not sharing with us? I am really at a loss. I know that if it really is Aspergers, then the school can not really except that the discipline they have been giving him is going to do any good. Thank you for your reply.

Oct 30, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Oh... I forgot to mention. The reason I didn't think it was Aspergers at first, was the fact he doesn't have the single focus on one topic like I have read about. He repeats his likes and dislikes constantly, but it isn't like he researchs on one topic, or that's all he can talk about. Could he still have the syndrome without that component?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 30, 2006, 08:29 PM
    Could be high functioning Aspergers. We have a child like that here in my city.

You may be best to talk to the parents as a parent, rather than a teacher, like you said.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 31, 2006, 05:55 PM
    I recommend the reading of "Human Exceptionally Society, School and Family" written by Michael L. Hardman and Clifford J. Drew and M Winston Egan... I have the seventh edition.
    "People with Emotional or Behavior Disorders"[Chapter 8 page 231] Understanding emotional or behavior disorders, identifying normal behavior, factors influencing emotional or behavior disorders and where IDEA stands in it definition of
    Also [Chapter 7 page 209] People with Attention deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders , ADHD and other disabilities and its definitions assessment and diagnosis, self regulation , impulsively and hyperactivity social relationships causation and interventions... and there is a debate on medication as an appropriate treatment for childr

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teacher Burn Out? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a former middle school teacher of 12 years and I eventually burned out. I loved teaching but I couldn't sustain the level of involvement required to be an EXCELLENT teacher. I didn't want to be anything less than that. How many of you have suffered from teacher burn out? Stories?

Teacher certification on line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Have any of you folks had experience with or investigated teacher certification on line? I like the idea of taking tests and really studying. Plus I went to college for an accumulative 5 years in several countries. Can any of you recommend a recognized program? Thanks! JB

This teacher needs an answer... [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what the following code means: OA9 OA4 TRI The zeros actually have a slash through them although I can't show that using my keyboard. I believe the TRI refers to TriCities Airport in Blountville TN. Any idea??

Kid wrongly accuses teacher [ 5 Answers ]

Hello... my husband has been teaching at a school for 6 months. (he has been a teacher for 20 years at other schools)... He did not like the school he was teaching at for 6 months, so he gave notice in May that he is quitting on June 30th, when the semester ends... On June 1, when all the kids...

Teacher training interview [ 3 Answers ]

I have an interview and need to know some answers to these questions? 1. what do you think primary teachers should know in order to be effective in the classroom? 2. The Primary National Strategy is based on the Principles of excellence and enjoyment. Is it possible for a teacher when planning...

View more questions Search