Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roricka Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 08:26 AM
    Can I use parallel thermostats in a 1-zone system?
    Bought an old 3-storey house in Maine, heated with gas forced-hotwater radiators. There is only 1 zone, with the thermostat in a 1st floor front room with little traffic and away from any radiator.

When the t'stat calls for heat, it takes so long for it to register at the t'stat site, that the house ends up heating up by 5 degrees or more before the t'stat shuts it off. Since the hot-cold fluctuations are especially large on the 3rd floor (usually it's too cold up there), I had my electrician string a temporary t'stat cable up through the central chase to the 3rd floor, where I attached another t-stat after disconnecting the 1st floor t'stat. Guess what -- now the first floor gets too cold (remember -- only 1 zone!)

Obviously the dynamics of heating and resonance are complex. So, I wonder if it ever makes sense to install more than 1 t'stat? Can it be done -- in parallel, I mean? I'm using a RiteTemp digital. I'd like to use 2 or 3 of them, all with set-backs. I'd appreciate some expert opinion of this idea. Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 11:12 AM
    With only one zone, anyone of multiple thermostats can turn the heat on. The heat will stay on until all the thermostats shut off. This may cause over heating in some areas. If you have more than one loop. There may be balancing valves you can adjust to give more uniform heat. Look for valves near where different floors branch off.
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Dec 27, 2005, 04:26 PM
    Would it be possible to install electric duct heaters to the 2nd and third floor and control them by the thermostats? Im not very familiar with the way they install heating systems up north.
    roricka Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 09:16 AM
    Wheat...

No ducting! It's all done with water pipes and radiators. (Which means there's far less drying of the heated air, but also no possibility of central humidification.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics (Current and Parallel Forces) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi HelpDesk: Please I need help how to figure out these problems: 1) An auto engine of mass 295Kg is located 1.0 m from one end of a 4.0 M work-bench. If the uniform bench has a mass of 45.0Kg, what weight Must each end of the bench support? 2) There is a graphic like:

Slopes,parallel and perpendicular... how do I do that?help please! [ 2 Answers ]

okay I was given the linear equation 2x+4y=12 and I was asked to find: a.)an equation in the form y=mx+b b.)an equation of line parallel to the equation c.)a slope perpendicular to the equation d.)an equation of a line parallel & through the point (4,2) e.)an equation of a line perpendicular...

Carrier or Honeywell Zone System? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a 2700sqft home that is two stories half of that is upstairs and half down. I have a 4 year old 5 ton all in one AC/Heat unit and only one return in the house which is downstairs. I have been getting estimates on getting a second return put in upstairs along with a zone system...

Zone valves [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a wiring diagram for a new dunkirk boiler . Just the diagram for the 3 zone valves. Company says that the boiler transformer is enough to run three zones ( 24v) . Or do I need to add transformer. Just can't figure out the wiring from one zone valve to another. Contacts on each zone are...

Parallel Thermostats [ 3 Answers ]

I Am installing baseboard electric heat in 2 rooms in my basement on a new 20 amp 240v circuit. In the first room I'm putting 1 1500 watt heater and 1 1250 watt heater for a total of approx 11.5 amps (connected parallel). My question is this: Can I run a parallel connection from the first...

View more questions Search