Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sallymay0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Cleaning Evaporator Coil?
    Hello - after reading earlier posts, I think I may need to clean our evaporator coil. Is that something I can do myself and how would I do that?
    Thanks,
    Sally
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 03:42 PM
    They can be very hard to get access and clean. Without seeing it I don't know if I would advise you to try. I would never clean another one, If I didn't have to. :-)
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 09:48 PM
    The best way to clean a evap coil is to pump down the freon and disconnect the lines from the coil, tape over all the open ends of the lines, take the front cover off the coil and slip it forward out of the case. Clean with steam or a car wash will do. Reverse the order and after you have reconnected the lines you will want to pull a vacuum on the lines for at lest an hour, Then release the freon back into the system. This is suppose to be done only by a person certified to work with freon.

A way that might be possible, take the cover off the front of the coil case. If you can see the bottom side of the coil then you can use a brush to clean the coil (somewhat)

If your system is an upflow you will need to put some papers over your furnace heat exchangers to keep trash form falling down into the furnace. Use something like a bottle brush and a squeeze bottle with water in it to keep the lint on the coil damp. DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE PAPERS FROM THE HEATER.
    sammyjk1 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 02:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sallymay0
    Hello - after reading earlier posts, I think I may need to clean our evaporator coil. Is that something I can do myself and how would I do that?
    Thanks,
    Sally
    Just curious. Why do you think you need to clean your coil?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning an evaporator coil? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you recommend that I clean a dirty evaporator coil? I appreciate your help!

Size of A Coil for AC [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Guys I want to buy an AC 2 ton but I have a fairly large air plenum on my furnace about 20 by 22 inches and any AC’s that I have looked at come with a smaller A Coil so if I used this it would greatly reduce my air flow. The A Coil looks like it is meant for a furnace in an apartment size...

Coil stays on [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me why my coil is staying on

Carrier Furnace Evaporator Coils [ 1 Answers ]

How often do these coils need to be cleaned?

View more questions Search