Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 8, 2015, 04:54 PM
    I had a different thought. Would his daughter be expecting you to mention her birthday? Just how close are you with her? Would you plan to stay in touch with her even if you and her father do not continue a relationship?

If you would plan on staying in touch with her, then contact her directly (not through him) to offer her birthday wishes. It all depends on what sort of relationship you have with her and how close you are to each other. She should not be short changed simply because of the adults' relationship status if you have been very close to her.
    spicywings Posts: 85, Reputation: 9

May 8, 2015, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    I had a different thought. Would his daughter be expecting you to mention her birthday? Just how close are you with her? Would you plan to stay in touch with her even if you and her father do not continue a relationship?

If you would plan on staying in touch with her, then contact her directly (not through him) to offer her birthday wishes. It all depends on what sort of relationship you have with her and how close you are to each other. She should not be short changed simply because of the adults' relationship status if you have been very close to her.
    I had a very good relationship with her. She has always wanted me as part of her life and events (Baptism, ballet recitals, performances, etc). He'd always say, DD has your back. She adores you and doesn't want me to screw this up with you. She really likes you, brags about you to her friends, etc. She was as loving as they come honestly... and that's saying a lot considering she will be 14 in a few weeks. On the 31st, she'll likely be with her mom (we have the same weekend/kid schedule) unless they change it of course but I'm sure she would tell him I texted her.

HOWEVER, I'm 'sure' he is feeling hostility towards me and because of that, he may become quite angered if I do this. The day/week of the breakup, he resorted to childish behavior (I've blocked you, don't call me EVER, You're going to feel like **, you know... kiddish stuff). So, for me to directly contact her... may cause serious issues. I honestly don't think the mom would mind at all because she and her boyfriend liked me, as well. My ex-boyfriend was the one most couldn't get along with. But I just don't want my actions to open pandora's box... hence the confusion.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2015, 07:33 PM
    You could simply tell her that you and her father aren't in contact right now, but that you wanted to wish her a very happy birthday... Then leave it at that.

May 10, 2015, 07:01 PM
    Just a quick update... For whatever reason, I've decided to have absolutely no contact at all with DD also... It's been a tough month+... really tough... and as much as I care about her, I feel like I would just be opening healing wounds and the possibility for dialogue between him and I in the long run. I think my heart is slowly catching up to my mind and I see how I dodged a bullet with his abrupt ending of it all. I just can't risk pouring salt in my own wound. I'll have to just wish her well from afar and spiritually and be done with it.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2015, 07:08 PM
    Although painful now and something we have all survived, that sounds like a good move. You know whenever life closes a door on me I kick the next door open. Good luck.

May 10, 2015, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    Although painful now and something we have all survived, that sounds like a good move. You know whenever life closes a door on me I kick the next door open. Good luck.
    Thanks Oliver! Great attitude. I'll get there :)
    Uber Member

May 10, 2015, 07:13 PM
    Sounds like a well thought out decision. Glad to hear that you are moving in a good direction with the situation; just takes time.

May 10, 2015, 07:30 PM
    Thank you DoulaLC. I'm slowly coming around and my good days are outweighing my bad days, that's for sure. TY:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I talk to my mom about getting a bigger bra? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know how to ask so I usually text my mom these secretive things but how would I type it because I hate talking about this stuff it embarrasses me. Right now I wear a not padded one that's skinny and I hate them. Help!!

Can a very skinny person eat as much as a bigger one? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am very skinny but always wanted to gain. So I decided to eat as much as a friend of mine does who is a very good eater for one day. Now I'm back home but I really have problems now. I'm about 7lbs heavier than usually my belly sticks out and is hard like a rock. It hurts and makes very...

Should I move on, or should I accept offer [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am in a pickle, I have been dating this very successful man for about three years. As a returning college student, he has been a very active part of my school life. We have multiple fights which he has ended or relationship and some how we have made it back together again. ...

How do I accept the person my wife had an affair with [ 6 Answers ]

We were married for 14 years, we had three children. After discovering that my wife was using drugs, having an affair and putting our children in a bad environment, I got a divorce and now have full custody of our children. My wife who is almost 40, had an affair with the person she was using drugs...

Need to break my lease to move to a bigger place [ 9 Answers ]

How can I break my lease without any hard feelings or adversity. I have paid six months in advance plus security and last month and am willing to lost last month and security. My daughter moved in with me and the place is just not big enough for all of us plus she has medical conditions that make...

View more questions Search