Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mustangchristy77 Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Jan 18, 2008, 05:42 PM
    New Hire Making More Money!
    I've been working at this doctor's office for 3 years. When I started he had three girls, all of us did the same thing. Well to make a long story short the other two girls quit and I have been working by myself for over a year now. Here is the part in question. Every person my boss has hired in the past year he has started them out making more money than me. He also pays for their insurance benefits! I know this because he left his notes out in plain view by mistake. In this past year I have trained 12 girls to help me and none of them lasted. Now it's just me again. I feel betrayed and hurt because I've busted my tail for him and he's never once even offered me a raise. He is going to start interviewing for another person shortly. How can I go about making him aware that I know he's paying them more and paying for their benefits meanwhile let him know that I feel I deserve and have earned they same wages?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Go into his office and tell you that you would like equal pay to the new hires and also your insurance paid.

** actually in most states, if there is health insurance paid by the company, the same benefits have to offered to all employees of the same class.

But in general you have to ask.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 05:55 PM
    I agree that is truly an uncomfortable situation to find that newbie's are getting treated better!
    That's unfortunate. But he thinks he has you locked in, and that's not fair. He feels he needs to pay the new help more to retain them with total disregard for the backbone of the current business.
    You can go about this in a couple different ways: Demand an increase that is in line with what's currently being offered and tell him why; provide your notice that you are leaving and why; stop doing all the things you used to do routinely, due to insufficient compensation and make him aware of why. Bottom line here is you feel that you are being taken advantage of. Do you feel you could draw the same if you moved to another office? Do you think he'll see that you are a valued commodity right where you are?
    Calmly ask him, when he least expects it if he thinks he is treating you fairly... I'd love to see his reaction. Be prepared for any consequence... you need to be just a little more assertive, IMO.
    benlou Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangchristy77
    I've been working at this doctor's office for 3 years. When I started he had three girls, all of us did the exact same thing. Well to make a long story short the other two girls quit and I have been working by myself for over a year now. Here is the part in question. Every person my boss has hired in the past year he has started them out making more money than me. He also pays for their insurance benefits!! I know this because he left his notes out in plain view by mistake. In this past year I have trained 12 girls to help me and none of them lasted. Now it's just me again. I feel betrayed and hurt because I've busted my tail for him and he's never once even offered me a raise. He is going to start interviewing for another person shortly. How can I go about making him aware that I know he's paying them more and paying for their benefits meanwhile let him know that I feel I deserve and have earned they same wages?
    Obviously you are worth a lots to him, because he uses you to train new girls. Be bold and blount straight to the point, express yourself-how you feel.. just do it.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2008, 10:08 AM
    I would find another job and give him a week's notice.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Simply approach him and ask him for a raise and whatever else you want, comparable to what he's given your coworkers. If he refuses you have one of two options ; either accept what he's willing to give you and go on working for him or find yourself another job. If you're as competent and experienced as your post suggests then I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting another job with the same pay and benefits that new hires at your present place of employment are receiving.
    DeniseAL Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 19, 2008, 02:12 PM
    I would start by not being confrontational or by saying that you saw his notes. I would discuss your length of tenure and outline what contributions you have made to his business, including training all the individuals who have left. Then just ask for a raise and insurance. If, he says yes, good for you. If not, you will have to decide whether to stay and face the same situation with the next new hire or find another job. As for the insurance, if he provides it for one, he has to provide it for everyone in the same job class or level.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Hello mustang:

Why do you think everybody ought to be paid the same? I never paid someone a salary because that's what somebody else was earning. I always paid what the person was worth. Sometimes is was less than other people. Sometimes it was more.

If YOU think you should be paid more, then ask your boss for a raise. If I were your boss, though, and the reason you thought you should get a raise is because somebody else was making more than you, I throw you out of my office.

excon
    Peripheral Visionary Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Feb 24, 2008, 10:12 PM
    I've had to request a raise at two different jobs I've had. One was in a doctor's office, I just flat out asked for a raise, because I knew the doctor was not slighting me, but had just overlooked the fact that it was time to give me a raise. He gave me a very nice raise, and then another one some time after that.

The second time I had to ask for a raise, I wrote it in a letter to my manager, outlining why I thought I deserved one, (length of time I had worked there, amount of training I provided to new employees, my reliability, etc.) and again, I got a very good raise, and this was at a company with a "freeze" on giving raises, supposedly.

So I would say, just ask! Don't threaten or give an ultimatum, just formulate why you deserve the raise and be clear with your expectations. If you are turned down, or not given what you think you are worth, look for another job. DON'T quit until you have another (better) job.
    CallingKay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello mustang:

Why do you think everybody ought to be paid the same? I never paid someone a salary because that's what somebody else was earning. I always paid what the person was worth. Sometimes is was less than other people. Sometimes it was more.

If YOU think you should be paid more, then ask your boss for a raise. If I were your boss, though, and the reason you thought you should get a raise is because somebody else was making more than you, I throw you out of my office.

excon
    I would agree with everyone who is telling you, "If you don't ask, you don't get." But at the same time excon has a point. You should go to that meeting prepared with your arguments about why you are worth that extra money. It sure sounds like you are! Have you saved the office some money? Have you taken on extra responsibilities? Have you improved a system? All these kinds of things can bolster your argument. Good luck!
    hlat Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Apr 20, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangchristy77
    I've been working at this doctor's office for 3 years. When I started he had three girls, all of us did the exact same thing. Well to make a long story short the other two girls quit and I have been working by myself for over a year now. Here is the part in question. Every person my boss has hired in the past year he has started them out making more money than me. He also pays for their insurance benefits!! I know this because he left his notes out in plain view by mistake. In this past year I have trained 12 girls to help me and none of them lasted. Now it's just me again. I feel betrayed and hurt because I've busted my tail for him and he's never once even offered me a raise. He is going to start interviewing for another person shortly. How can I go about making him aware that I know he's paying them more and paying for their benefits meanwhile let him know that I feel I deserve and have earned they same wages?
    Mustangchristy77- I would like to know if you took the advise given to you and what were the results? Very small employers often fail to set up an annual employee review process - which puts the burden on the employee to keep track of accomplishments and to present them to the boss along with requests for wage and benefit increases. I hope you were successful. But I am still wondering - what happened?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Let him know what you feel is fair compensation and ask if he will give you a raise and cover your insurance. If he says no, tell him, "OK, I understand" and get another job. Leave on good terms and only when you have another job should you tell him, "I hoped I could stay but as you know, my compensation and insurance were not adequate here so I hope there will be no hard feelings, as I've taken another job that better meets my financial needs" - you may need a reference later. With your skills, there is a goldmine of work out there!

In approaching him, don't let on that you know what he's been paying others but rather use that as really good information that can benefit you. If he's offered a new hire $35,000 perhaps you should as for $38,000 or $40,000 given your experience, for example. He may make a counter offer. If his reaction is a flat "no" to your specific dollar figure ask him what he feels would be a fair compromise. If there's no compromise - well, there probably won't be enough of one in the future, either, so you need to just get a new job.

Unfortunately, many of us have to change jobs to increase pay. Just how it works today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making money from the internet [ 5 Answers ]

I'm not really sure where to put this one, so I'm putting it here. I'm sorry if it is in the wrong location. Well, I've recently lost my job due to a dispute with my manager. It's no biggie really since I'm only sixteen. I don't have to pay for anything, other than my gas, clothes, and things...

Fast money making! [ 47 Answers ]

Hello people in here wondering how to make really fast money in runescape. Please give me some advice

Making money in law [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: is family law the best area of law to go into if you want to make money, or is another field of law worth considering?:confused:

Making money [ 2 Answers ]

How can I make money using my computer?

Making Money [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! My question is: Where can I find a job on the internet? Ive heard from many people that you can work from home and earn a decent income working online. But I can't seem to find any of these kinds of sites... Ive been looking for them for the past 3 years, and after numerous searches all I've...

View more questions Search