Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bobbye Posts: 41, Reputation: 4

Sep 14, 2005, 10:47 PM
    Selling tickets to hear "me" preach!
    The latest and greatest mega church and minister in my city tours America, selling tickets for $10.00 to spend "An Evening with ________." A regular "worship service" is conducted.

What are your thoughts re charging to enter a worship service? Of course, offerings and contributions for the evening would equal or surpass ticket sales (possibly), but the practice is what I am questioning. Perhaps I should come up to date.

Do you prefer ticket sales to worship God or should tithes and offerings continue as instructed in God's Word?

Bobbye
    STONY Posts: 82, Reputation: 11

Sep 15, 2005, 07:41 AM
    Hi Bobbye
    We Had A So Called "prophet" In Orlando About 15 Years Ago And At His Service He Was Selling Prophecies Starting At $300. After He Had Milked All The $300 People Then The Price Started Coming Down.
    It Was The First Time I Ever Walked Out Of A So Called Church Exclaiming This Guy Is Nothing But A "z.x." Artist. What Sticks Out Most In My Mind Is This Reference, "freely You Have Received , Freely Give." What Will They Sell Next, Personally Autographed Pictures Of Jesus? Or, Maybe A Get To Heaven Free Card. I Know It's Marketing But It Sucks. What's That New Modern Day Saying, Wwjd?
    phildebenham Posts: 95, Reputation: 9

Sep 15, 2005, 07:59 AM
    Bobbye,

The sad thing isn't just that tickets are being sold. It is sadder still that people will purchase them! The mere fact that one is willing to purchase tickets to hear a particular "personality" shows ones tendency towards hero worship. That person is not coming to hear the Word of the Lord, but rather to hear so-and-so speak. It occurs to me that the gospel is free to all who will receive it. Offerings are the duty of believers. Ticket sales belong in movie theaters and concert halls!

God the Father sent His own Son to pay the ransom that would bring us out of bondage to sin and into eternal life with Him. He didn't charge us a dime for this gift, and frankly He doesn't want our money... He wants our lives!

"To obey is better than sacrifice,
    I want more than Sunday and Wednesday nights!
    and if you can't come to Me everyday,
    then don't bother coming at all!"
    -Keith Green

And how do we come? Freely!

YBIC,

Phil

Sep 16, 2005, 09:08 AM
    Selling tickets to hear "me" preach!
    Amen, Phil!

"Grace, grace! God's grace! FREELY GIVEN TO "WHOSOEVER WILL!"

The sad part of reference re my post is that some of the $10.00 tickets are going for $100.00 on E-Bay. Sadder yet, it is the youth who are being influenced by this pseudo "gospel" (if it can be called "gospel"). Larry King and other major networks can't promote this fellow fast enough; yet it is the naive; the scripturally unlearned, and those who are seeking truth who are being deceived. God forbid! (His $47M best-seller on the N.Y. Times was modeled after Covey's "Seven Steps of Successful... " NOT ONE EDITOR, PUBLISHER, OR NEWS MEDIA CAUGHT THE PARALLEL! Proof that America is being lulled to sleep by the media who claim to "know," yet haven't a clue as to truth -- whether it be Biblical or otherwise.

Thanks, Phil (as well as Tony), for great insight re this charade!
    Bobbye
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Sep 16, 2005, 08:19 PM
    Tickets, please!
    Freely have ye received, freely shall ye give. (Matthew 10.8)

:)

MORGANITE
    phildebenham Posts: 95, Reputation: 9

Sep 16, 2005, 08:54 PM
    Bobbye,

So I must assume we are speaking of Joel Osteen? Perhaps we should discuss his 7 steps next. It might just be enlightening.

YBIC,

Phil
    MaggieB Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Sep 17, 2005, 01:03 PM
    Tickets to hear "preacher"
    No one should have to buy a ticket to hear a minister of the Gospel. We are to give freely with a cheerful heart with Christian love. Money and riches will not buy us a ticket to heaven, only though the recognition and acceptance of the shed blood of Jesus for our sins, our debt is paid, YES, YES!

Those who know the Truth and do not teach it will surely face a reckoning day like no other. Much more is expected of those who teach and preach that they should not lead others astray.

Many evangelistic meetings, revivals and such I have attended in the past in large colisieums, auditoriums, large churches, small churches and tents and have never bought a "ticket". Love offerings have been taken up for the speaker and musicians for traveling expenses and lodging.

This situation concerning the "preacher' (speaker) of whom you write is questionable as he was most likely signing his books of which these folks had already bought or were buying at the meeting. I really have a problem with the message that he brings on TV.

Bless you,
    MaggieB

Sep 17, 2005, 01:39 PM
    How much is the preaching today?
    John Wesley and George Whitgift, to whom we are indebted for Methodism, preached in the open air. Standing on the stone walls of fielda and steps, on tubs and benches, they preached to the people who did not go to church.

At times they would preach in chapels that were opened to them by sympathetic clergy, but they did not charge any fee, and I doubt if any preacher today, however flamboyant, can reach the sublime heights and inspired eloquence of these.

It is shameful that men should make a business of preaching God's Word.

MORGANITE

:)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2005, 07:56 AM
    Tickets to hear preacher
    Hi,
    No way!
    There is no doubt the preacher is out for the money, just as any other entertainer.
    Ever heard of Jimmy Swaggart? Use to have a big-time TV ministry; until he got caught twice with Prostitutes! Sound like a christian to you? Not to me.
    Ever hear of Jerry Fallwell? I might not have spelled his name correctly, but he has a large following with his TV ministries. He also owns race horses, lives in a mansion, etc, etc, etc. He is out for the money, nothing else.
    These people are more like "con artists", rather than true persons of God.
    If you want to pay money to see and hear an entertainer, then go right ahead. But, you have to realize that this person is not a person of God, he is an entertainer; nothing else.
    The only real exception to all this is Billy Graham, who is a man of God. He does NOT sell tickets to any of his preachings.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Sep 18, 2005, 03:53 PM
    Ticket
    I agree with you re Billy Graham, he is an honorable Christian man.

Bless you,
    MaggieB

Sep 18, 2005, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieB
    I agree with you re Billy Graham, he is an honorable Christian man.

Bless you,
    MaggieB
    He is a good man. Does/did he charge for his appearances?

MORGANITE

Sep 18, 2005, 08:19 PM
    Tickets
    No, he will also give you one of his books if you so desire one, free, no cost to you.

MaggieB
    STONY Posts: 82, Reputation: 11

Sep 19, 2005, 05:51 AM
    Charge For Services?
    I Have Never Known The Billy Graham Organization To Charge An Entrance Fee For Anything Associated With His Crusades. The Teaching Materials Are A Different Story Altogether, They Do Sell Those.

Sep 19, 2005, 11:16 AM
    Tickets to hear "me" preach!
    Maggie, it's great to have you on Board! Phil, Stony, and I welcome you! ( I speak for them without their permission, but they'll forgive me and love me in the Lord in spite of.. LOL)

Fred, Stony, Maggie, and Phil: NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO PAY TO HEAR THE GOSPEL! ALSO, WHAT ABOUT "SPENDING ANY EVENING WITH JESUS" RATHER THAN JOEL?????

Phil, I'll get to the "Seven Steps..." when I get a few minutes at the end of this week. IF YOU'D LIKE, PLEASE START A NEW THREAD RE "THE BOOK!"

Be blessed, all of you!
    Bobbye

Sep 19, 2005, 11:53 AM
    Ticket to preach
    Thank you for the warm welcome Bobbye. It is nice to be here.
    Seems more like old times.

Bless you,
    MaggieB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Difference between "htm" and "html" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any? For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers...

View more questions Search