Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chelle1973 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2011, 09:10 PM
    Is a minor responsible for accidental damage to personal property?
    For say a child accidentally burns a hole in a new couch from something being knocked out of their hand, how much could they be prosecuted for if the destroyed item is worth $500.00 brand new?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2011, 09:16 PM
    I doubt they will be "prosecuted" but they along with their parents can be sued in civil court for the value of the couch up to the full replacement value. Or repair if possible.

So basically if sued, the mom or dad will write a check for damages since they are liable for the actions of their child.

Now so much can depend on how the accident happened.

And it sounds like someone else was the one at fault, who "knocked" this out of their hand, they may be the one who has to pay ? Or at least they may have to pay a percentage of damages
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2011, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chelle1973 View Post
    Is a minor responsible for accidental damage to personal property?
    Hello c:

It depends on the circumstances. As you describe them, I don't think the child or his parents would be held responsible.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accidental damage [ 7 Answers ]

Who has to pay for repairs which tenant has caused (acidental) on a rental property?

Personal Property damage due to apartment maintenance work [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Sunnyvale, California. My apartment complex recently replaced all the toilets in the entire complex with the eco-friendly ones. Our building's turn came over the long weekend and we were away. They changed the toilet on Thursday and a water pipe started leaking rapidly on...

Can my accidental eye damage effect my child's vision [ 6 Answers ]

When I was 16 I had mistakenly caused damage to my eyes and now I have BAD vision. The eye doctor said by looking through the microscope my left eye is kind of football shaped causng me to only be allowed to wear strong medicated rigid contact lens. No glasses, they said it was some kind of...

Contractor damage, who's responsible - PA [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Dauphin County, PA. Verizon had contractors digging behind the apartment building in preparation to install their FIOS service. The contractors hit a power line causing a power outage and surge which damaged/destroyed several pieces of electronic equipment. Verizon is shifting blame...

View more questions Search