Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashley4me Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2013, 07:48 AM
    Socializing an older rescue dog that has been neglected.
    MY husband an I decided to get a rescue dog that is about 5-6 years old.She is part shepherd/mix.She is so calm and relaxed and that was one of the things we liked about her but after a couple of days we have decided she may need to be socialized more.She will ignore us mostly and she just seems depressed.She doesn't wag her tail for food,toys,praise.We even named her Mellow because she just seems melancholi all the time.I just feel bad for her and I was wondering how we can best help her.We have a one year old blue heeler mix that wants to play with her but she just is not interested.She even has no interest in the small treats we present to her.She does eat and like her crate to sleep in at night and that's about it.We are walking her and showing her a lot of affection.Should we be doing more?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 10, 2013, 08:12 AM
    You are doing fine. No sense in trying too hard, too fast, with other people and other dogs. Keep cooing and patting and rubbing and playing, and taking her out around the neighborhood.
    Depending on how long she was neglected, she may or may not change. Dogs like routine and are creatures of habit.
    PS: thanks
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 12:33 PM
    Give her some time. I have a rescue that was the same way. Every week she got a little better, but it was almost a full2 years before she stopped cowering when I would get up or reach over to pet her. She wasn't food motivated or treat motivated at all. She hated being around other dogs and had really bad separation anxiety. With all rescues there is a honeymoon phase, I would strongly suggest getting them into obedience classes. It's a great way for the two of you to bond and for you to establish the leader role as well as building her confidence.

Just be patient, things will come along slowly but surely.

Good luck, and thank you so much for choosing the adoption option!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Socializing a new dog... [ 1 Answers ]

We have taken in a bulldog who is one year old. He lived with 3 kids under 7 yrs old and also another dog with whom he got along very well with. Our problem is that we think he was hit, never walked or even taken outside his own yard. He is very aggressive towards our dog (who wouldn't hurt a fly...

Neglected dog. My neighbor leaves her dog locked in a cage all day while she is at [ 5 Answers ]

Work, then comes home lets the dog out and locks the dog right back up again in her cage and she proceeds to go out until all hours of the night. I hear the dog moving around in the cage. I don't understand why she even has a dog, she doesn't spend any time with it. Besides dogs not being...

Socializing older dogs [ 1 Answers ]

We have three wonderful dogs and recently agreed to foster two Shelties for our veterinarian. The dogs are 3 years and 10 months old and were never socialized (puppy mill). The older dog will allow us to touch her, but her son (younger dog) runs from us and avoids us at all cost. They get along...

Socializing at an Older Ager [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, we have a 4 year old GSD the we adopted almost a year ago. He is the most wonderful dog I've ever had the fortune to be a part of my family. He is excellent with myself, my husband and all 5 of my kids. He has bonded the most with myself and my oldest son. He loves his walks and playing catch...

View more questions Search