Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    You could give it to me as a pressie, but I'd insist on full length artwork.
    In the nude.

Did I say that out loud?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 4, 2013, 03:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    In the nude.

Did I say that out loud?
    We really need a Wrong Thread again.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 4, 2013, 04:42 AM
    I could get into a pressie, or rather on top ;)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 4, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I could get into a pressie, or rather on top ;)
    Again, we need a Wrong Thread.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 01:33 PM
    My Haplopelma as requested by Alty...

Sorry to those of you that are squeamish...

Actually, no, I'm not sorry. Get over it.
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    My Haplopelma as requested by Alty....

Sorry to those of you that are squeamish....

Actually, no, I'm not sorry. Get over it.
    That's a gorgeous spider.

Is it the camera, or is she/he blue?
    Entomology Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    That's a gorgeous spider.

Is it the camera, or is she/he blue?
    That was her actual color. Haplopelma lividum is also known as a Cobalt Blue. They are Asian (Thailand and Vietnam) and I always wondered why blue? Blue doesn't seem to match the natural color of leaves where they live. Most of the males are brown and smaller but all females are blue... some brighter than this one.
    Pets Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 01:41 PM
    That was her actual color. Haplopelma lividum is also known as a Cobalt Blue. They are Asian (Thailand and Vietnam) and I always wondered why blue? Blue doesn't seem to match the natural color of leaves where they live. Most of the males are brown and smaller but all females are blue...some brighter than this one.
    Odd. In the animal world it's usually the males that are colorful. The females are usually stuck with the dull brown nothing fun outfits.

Blue is an odd color. She's very very pretty though. I have a feeling you and I are the only ones that will think so. ;)
    Entomology Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 01:47 PM
    My female Brachypelma 2 years ago...
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 01:51 PM
    My female Brachypelma 2 years ago....
    She's so fuzzy!

How was she on the friendly scale?

My son has been wanting a tarantula for a long time. When a few of the other pets pass on, I'd love to get him one, but I'd want one we can hold, not just watch. I already have two fish for watching.
    Entomology Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 01:59 PM
    She is still alive, more colorful, but not quite as fuzzy now. She has a life span of 25-30 years so unless something goes wrong, I've got about 20 more years of her.

Brachypelma are nicely tempered. This one is a Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee) and they seem to be very docile. You would also want to check out the most common and easy to get tarantula which seems to be above and beyond docile... a good "learner" species... Grammostola rosea, or Chilean Rose Hair... often just referred to as a Rose Hair.

I have one of them too but can't seem to find anything newer than when I got her.
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 02:05 PM
    She is still alive, more colorful, but not quite as fuzzy now. She has a life span of 25-30 years so unless something goes wrong, I've got about 20 more years of her.

Brachypelma are nicely tempered. This one is a Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee) and they seem to be very docile. You would also want to check out the most common and easy to get tarantula which seems to be above and beyond docile...a good "learner" species....Grammostola rosea, or Chilean Rose Hair....often just referred to as a Rose Hair.

I have one of them too but can't seem to find anything newer than when I got her.
    She looks a bit bluish too, with purple on top. Very pretty.

There are only a few pet stores in our area that even carry tarantulas. They're not colorful at all, very bland looking actually. But I've been told they're very docile, easy to handle.

My friend the entomologist did tell me that when I was ready for a tarantula, he'd get me one. Not sure if that's possible though, he's in California, I'm sure there would be a lot of red tape bringing a spider from there, to Canada. But he does go on spider hunts (for the museum) every year, and has no problem bringing those spiders back with him, so it may not be as difficult as I think it will be.
    Entomology Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 02:08 PM
    She's not really blue... those hairs are more grey but she had just molted a few days before that so they stand out and reflect differently. Their common color is brown with the rose color on the carapace.
    Pets Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 02:12 PM
    She's not really blue...those hairs are more grey but she had just molted a few days before that so they stand out and reflect differently. Their common color is brown with the rose color on the carapace.
    Well she's still pretty.

So, how many spiders do you have? I'm known as the crazy bunny lady because I have 4 rabbits. I'm thinking you're the crazy spider man. Giggle, you're spiderman. :)
    Entomology Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 02:13 PM
    LOL... like I haven't heard that before.

Right now I only have 3.

The Red Knee, the Rose Hair, and a Desert Blonde that I "borrowed" when I went to Arizona in 2006.
    Pets Expert

Jun 13, 2013, 02:15 PM
    LOL...like I haven't heard that before.

Right now I only have 3.

The Red Knee, the Rose Hair, and a Desert Blonde that I "borrowed" when I went to Arizona in 2006.
    Well next time you're in Arizona, borrow me a nice spider. It will give you an excuse to visit. Don't be surprised if you arrive back home with a few fish and a rabbit in your suitcase.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 17, 2013, 07:56 AM
    Where's the vacuum!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 17, 2013, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Where's the vacuum!
    I agree! I couldn't handle owning a spider. That would freak me out!!
    Dogs Expert

Jun 17, 2013, 08:16 AM
    Nope, I don't like any creepy crawly type thing. I remember a LONG time ago my dad had this scorpion, and now that I am older thinking it was probably quite illegal, at least in today's standards. I refused to go into the basement until that thing died, and if I remember it was well after I was 12!
    Entomology Expert

Jun 17, 2013, 08:19 AM
    Scorpions are legal in most areas. In fact, the majority of scorpions aren't really deadly... they just do that on TV and movies for excitement.

As a side note... the vacuum would not pick up the tarantulas in my pictures... they are too big. Just sayin'...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work permit for a non-EU member in Spain while my spouse(EU member) will stay in UK [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I live in the UK with my wife. She is an EU member and I am non-EU member. I am moving first to Spain for work reasons there but my wife will stay in UK for at least 4 months then she will join me. The Spanish company does not sponsor me to get a work permit so I need to apply for...

How long does it normally take for a family member to adopt another family member [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: I am in the process of adopting my nephew. I have had him since he was born and started the adoption in 05 I did home study, background check, etc in first year. Two years later I got transfer of custody. It is now going on the third year and the adoption is still not final. How long...

View more questions Search