Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mumtosix Posts: 42, Reputation: 6

Nov 4, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Notice of Plagiarism and Copyright Infringement
    I am a newly qualified Wedding Planner in the North East of England I will not put my business name as not sure it allowed but I have just received a very detailed email from a business similar to mine telling me as I use the wording North East Weding Planner as a sub heading on my website and material I am in copyright breach as there business is called just that??

How on earth do I reply - to these threats??

Please help have I don't something wrong?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 4, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Simple really.
    Change the wording of the sub heading as it's really the only reasonable course of action.
    Also write them a letter of apology and advise them that you will be removing the offending sub heading with immediate effect.

Nov 4, 2009, 12:36 PM

I am a little confused though & do not by any means want to sound to be ignorant but why should I have too - My business name is - The XXXXX Wedding Planner - sub heading is
    ( North East Wedding Planners . Party Organisers & Event Managers)

Why am I in breach of copyright - I am a North East Wedding Planner - I am not trying to be related to their business at all - I did not even know they existed - our sites are completely different I have checked every single page and there are no similarities.

The email details that all my business related material which can I add has cost me a fortune ( printed flyers/folders/business card ) all carry the wording and she is saying I have to not use them or she will bill me £1,000 per day?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 4, 2009, 01:00 PM
    If their company name is North East Wedding Planners then you are indeed using their business name in promoting your own.

Here's their site for reference: North East Wedding Planner
    The internet address even includes that phrase.
    Also they have copyrighted it as can be seen at the bottom of their homepage.
    Also they have been established for over 15 years which gives them Prior Art in the name game.

Better to back of quickly now and save any further expense.

As I said earlier you need to write and apologise about the honest mistake you have made.

Nov 4, 2009, 01:10 PM

Ok much thanks for the quick advice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reprinting books without copyright notice [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if it is legal for me to reprint a 2 volume history & biography set - that bears no copyright information - at my expense for resale purposes? The 2 volume set was published in 1907 and 1908 by a publishing company that is no longer in existence. The history was compiled...

View more questions Search