Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WindSwept Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2005, 07:49 AM
    Too much oil?
    Hi All!
    I don't know what I would do without this site :)
    I am having difficulty starting my lawnmower and have a feeling I may have put too much oil in when filling the crankcase. Now the mower won't start and I am seeing a liquid seeping out of the air filter thing. Someone said I may have blown a gasket. Does this sound feasible and if I did is it repairable? This is a new mower, ugh, and I need to MOW MY LAWN. What have I done?!
    Thanks for any help.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2005, 07:00 PM
    Huh, sounds familiar to another site I'm on, yes too much oil will go past the rings into the combustion chamber causing loads of compression, and on top of this it will if you got it to start run through the breather into the carb, foul the plug and burn oil like hell, drain your oil, take the plug out and clean it off good, take the head( where the plug goes into) put it facing to the ground and let that drain, if it's a paper filter throw it out and get a new one, (its useless covered in oil) drain your fuel bowl on the carb if equipped, (you didn't state hp) and put you plug in tight, put some good hd30weight oil in and run it in, check you dipstick till it's a little over, just a tad over now, (more security in case the oil drops), start it and let it run, it'll smoke like hell for quite a while till it burns the oil off. Then take you plug out, clean it again and put it back in and your set.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search