Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karenjay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Installing vinyl siding over cedar siding
    Is it a good idea to install vinyl siding right over top of cedar siding?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 06:23 PM

What type cedar siding? If shakes,do they have undercoarse for a shadow revel?

Chuck
    karenjay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2009, 04:59 PM

The cedar siding on the house is horizontal boards,not cedar shake. I'm replacing it because the woodpeckers have made their homes in the walls.(a couple of different families) They are not using the cedar as a source for food.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:45 PM

karenjay, I think crehands was more referring to, is the wood siding a lap siding weather its ceder shake or pine Etc. The way around that is using furring strips to make a flat vertical so new siding can be nailed on the same flat plane and not in and out deflections going up the wall

So the answer here is if the wood there in not completely flat up the wall furring strips needs to be used here. 16" on centers is the layout and furring strips. You also need to furr strip around all doors and windows for a nailer to apply the "J" channel You may also need to add onto the window and doors jamb depth to build it out so the "J" channel is flush or set shallower then the outside trim.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 09:02 PM

21boat is correct with info.

The only siding with a flat enough surface that I know of is ship lap or T1-11.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding vinil siding over cedar siding [ 3 Answers ]

My house have cedar siding I do like to know if I can add vinal siding over it, if I can how should I do it, or what kind of insulation can I use. Thanks

Cedar siding [ 1 Answers ]

I build my home about 20 years ago. It has cedar siding. It has been stained twice since it was build. I see a product called Permalast. Sherwin Williams sells a product call Duration which has Permalast listed. Do you know anything about his product. They say it is long lasting. Thanks for...

Should existing cedar siding be removed before vinyl [ 1 Answers ]

Our current cedar siding is peeling, its dry and looks horrible . We have gotten different opinions on whether to remove the existing siding, before the vinyl siding is installed. What are the pros and cons? Connecticut

Cedar Siding [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best methods to prime and paint cedar siding?

Installing entry door with existing vinyl siding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all - let me preface my problem below by saying I’m a fairly new homeowner, and don’t really know much about vinyl siding. I suspect I’ve done something wrong, but I’m not really sure where I went astray: I recently had to remove and then re-install a pre-hung entry door leading to our 2nd...

View more questions Search