Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    butterfly21891 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 05:47 PM
    slopes,parallel and perpendicular... how do i do that?help please!
    okay I was given the linear equation 2x+4y=12 and I was asked to find:

a.)an equation in the form y=mx+b
    b.)an equation of line parallel to the equation
    c.)a slope perpendicular to the equation
    d.)an equation of a line parallel & through the point (4,2)
    e.)an equation of a line perpendicular & through the point (2,0)
    f.)then graph the lines

note: I was able to figure out how to get the equation in the form of y=mx+b... but what do I do to get the rest of this finished?
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Sep 19, 2006, 07:09 PM
    Do you know what the "m" and the "b" in that y=mx+b equation are? They are (respectively) the slope and the y-intercept of the line. If you were to plot the line, and measure the slope (rise/run, or delta-y/delta-x), you'd get "m". If you looked at where it crossed the y-axis, you'd get "b."

Take a second and try to figure out how the slopes of parallel and perpendicular lines to your target equation would look.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2006, 05:23 PM
    To do part b.), simply keep your value of m from a.) but use a different value for b
    To do part c.), your slope is -1/m and b can be anything you want
    To do part d.), plug in 4 and 2 for x and y and keep your value of m from a.) and solve to find b
    To do part e.) your slope is -1/m and plug in 2 for x and 0 for y and solve for b

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Physics (Current and Parallel Forces) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi HelpDesk: Please I need help how to figure out these problems: 1) An auto engine of mass 295Kg is located 1.0 m from one end of a 4.0 M work-bench. If the uniform bench has a mass of 45.0Kg, what weight Must each end of the bench support? 2) There is a graphic like:

Can I use parallel thermostats in a 1-zone system? [ 3 Answers ]

Bought an old 3-storey house in Maine, heated with gas forced-hotwater radiators. There is only 1 zone, with the thermostat in a 1st floor front room with little traffic and away from any radiator. When the t'stat calls for heat, it takes so long for it to register at the t'stat site, that the...

Parallel Thermostats [ 3 Answers ]

I Am installing baseboard electric heat in 2 rooms in my basement on a new 20 amp 240v circuit. In the first room I'm putting 1 1500 watt heater and 1 1250 watt heater for a total of approx 11.5 amps (connected parallel). My question is this: Can I run a parallel connection from the first...

Writiing equations with perpendicular lines [ 2 Answers ]

I don't understand how to write an equation with a perpendicular line. The book does not have an example. Write and equation of aline through (4, 5) that is perpendicular to y=1/2x & 3. I have been doing equations when there are two sets of ordered pairs. This only has 1. Please help....

View more questions Search