Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Omegaman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2006, 09:57 AM
    Toilet flange on concrete
    I saw this addressed in another thread, but my question has a twist.
    When my house was built (bi-level) the lower level was unfinished but I had them rough in plumbing for a 3rd bathroom. I have completed the other rooms, and am now ready to tackle the bathroom. The supply lines are fine, the shower drain protrudes up from the poured concrete, but the outlet for the toilet is a slightly chipped circle in the concrete.

Has anyone seen a rough in like this before? (the builder turned out to be an idiot, so nothing would surprise me) My concern is that the outlet pipe is buried too low, and that it may not be far enough away from the wall in order to fit the toilet.

It appears to be about 9.5 inches OC from the wall to the chipped hole, but is there a standard distance the outlet should be from the wall. (granted the pipe was installed and the floor poured before the walls were constructed.)

TIA
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2006, 10:03 AM
    You may not be sure if you are in the center of the drain that is in the floor. You need to chip concrete until you can tell what you have.
    The normal rough-in is 12 inches and if you fudge you can make it work if it is 11 inches. Now if it is true that yours is 9.5 inches, some companies make a commode that is a 10 inch rough-in. And like the 12 inch you might be able to fudge and make the commode sit on the 9.5 that you have.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Hey Tia,

"the outlet for the toilet is a slighly chipped circle in the concrete."

It sounds like the plumber used a styrofoam closet wrapper around the closet stubup so you could set a closet flange without having to chip out cement.
    Take a screwdriver and tap it down into the chipped part of the circle. If it goes through the thin layer of cement into a closer wrapper then dig out the styrofoam and bare the pipe.

"It appears to be about 9.5 inches OC from the wall to the chipped hole, but is there a standard distance the outlet should be from the wall"

Plumbers use center measurements. The toilet should be 12" off the wall to the center of the pipe, give or take a little.
    Let me know what you find. Regards, tom
    Omegaman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2006, 03:46 PM
    TIA= thanks in advance, which I do.

FWIW I'm Bill.. :-)

I'm not sure if I will be doing the work myself or not yet, but will have to chip away and see what's what. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know what I find.

Bill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Procedure Request for Cutting Concrete to Add Flange? [ 12 Answers ]

My basement rough-in left us with a 3 inch PVC stub with glued on cap sticking right out of the concrete. I would like to remove enough concrete from around the pipe to add an offset closet flange. Can anyone walk me through the procedure/exact tools needed for this? (the house is 7 months old......

Procedure Request for Cutting Concrete to Add Flange? [ 2 Answers ]

My basement rough-in left us with a 3 inch PVC stub with glued on cap sticking right out of the concrete. I would like to remove enough concrete from around the pipe to add an offset closet flange. Can anyone walk me through the procedure/exact tools needed for this? (the house is 7 months old......

Iron flange in concrete no holes to work with [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem, trying to install a new toilet; when we removed the toilet we notice a iron flange (or pipe coming up in concrete) with a rim and no holes to put the new flange on. This item coming up through the floor remind you of a upside down top hat. How do we install bolts for the toilet...

Ready to pour concrete! + Toilet Flange [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am ready to pour concrete and patch the cut I made in my garage slab to add a new toilet. I have a few questions first and would appreciate some help. I am using 3 inch ABS with the type of flange that glues into the pipe. 1) The top of the flange goes flush with the concrete?...

Installing a toilet in concrete slab [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, This is a great forum. I was wondering if you could offer me some advice? I am converting part of my garage into a bathroom. I will be busting up the concrete and running a new 3'' pipe for the toilet. My question is regarding the vent. How far away can I be really? There is an existing...

View more questions Search