Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 2, 2008, 04:37 PM
    rebuild your own transmission
    Is it possible to rebuild your own transmission if you happened to be very mechanically inclined? I have a Dodge Sport 1500 4x4 and it won't shift into second gear. It's been rebuilt once 4-years ago and I can't see spending $2000 to get it done again.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Yes, my neighbor rebuilt his Dodge truck transmission 3 years ago--all by himself. Scope it out carefully, before you begin the project.
    Appletree2468 Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Jan 5, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Definitely possible to do it yourself! You just have to be very careful when you take it apart and mark everything. I would get a video camera and video it as you take it apart so that you have something to refer to when it goes back together.

Buy the Dodge factory shop manual and have at it. It is worth the money for the factory manual.

Do a search and see if there is a "how to rebuild" video available for your Dodge tranny. I know that there are for a lot of Ford trannys.

Good luck with it!
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Jan 7, 2008, 04:48 AM
    Go to your local tranny (only) parts warehouse, pick up an ATSG repair manual, its plenty good enough and cheap too. Some C Clamps will sub for the special tools, you may need some advice on other sub tools also. A Magnetic Base and a Dial Indicator would come in really handy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can you REBUILD the TRUST in your reationship! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I am just wondering how I can rebuild the trust in my relationship. My boyfriend of 3 years cheated once a very very long time ago. He was hammered, and on lots of drugs, which he quit that lifestyle completely afterwards, for me. Ever since, I cannot seem to trust him, even though...

F150 rebuild is overheating [ 2 Answers ]

Hello we just rebuilt our 1995 f150 and it is overheating I have checked the water pump it works fine I have replaced the radiatior cap I have replaced the thermostat. I have burped the block to make sure there are no air gaps in there. I have pulled out the radiator and flushed it to make sure...

If Under Law why not Rebuild the temple? [ 9 Answers ]

Why do those who say they are under the Mosaic Law not follow all the stipulations like animal sacrifices given at alters, and all the other instructions given in Deteronomy and Exodus? Actually, the rebuilding of the temple would not be enough. Those rebuilding it would also have to begin...

Rebuild Compaq Tablet TC1000 [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to rebuild my Tablet PC and have connected an external CD writer to run the QuickRestore CDs. However, I cannot boot to the CD drive, as I receive the following error "Unable to detect ATAPI IDE CD ROM DRIVE. ATAPI IDE CD-ROM device driver not loaded." and the session leaves me at the...

View more questions Search