Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jinglebells09 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 12:54 PM
    My boyfriend won't visit my family
    My boyfriend and I have been dating for over 2 years now. He has only been home with me around 5 times. And those 5 times he hasn't seen my parents each time. Only a couple. He NEVER goes to any family outings with me, or NEVER hangs out with my friends. I always have to be with his friends. He also never asks me to go home with him. This is the only thing we seem to argue about. He thinks that I am pushing/forcing him to see my family because I always bring it up. I feel like we should be comfortable around each others family by now. I told him it was disrespectful to me and to my family and it really hurts every time I go home alone and everyone asks, " Where is...". Am I wasting my time? What can I do?
    heartbroke Posts: 163, Reputation: 24

Mar 21, 2009, 01:09 PM

Usually when you ask your partner to visit or meet your parents, it's a sign of being serious. Maybe he isn't as serious in the relationship as you are?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 01:10 PM

How old are the two of you? How far apart are you from each other?

Mar 21, 2009, 01:17 PM

I'm 21 and he is 25. I mean we've beenn together for over 2 years. I feel like we are serious.. we've talked about the future together.

Mar 21, 2009, 01:22 PM

Talking and doing are 2 different things. I talked about marriage, children and moving to another state with my ex, 2 weeks before she broke up with me. It was good one day and sorrow the next. The only thing we did, was look for engagement rings together, she picked one out, but I never had the oppurtunity to buy it :(
    He could just be in a reltionship for the sake of being in a relationship, or so that he's not alone?

Mar 21, 2009, 01:30 PM

He's claimed many times that if he didn't want to be in a relationship then he wouldn't be in it. Everything is perfect with us, except this one problem. I just want him to want to visit my family. Its like, if he can't accept them, why should I accept him? He says he doesn't care what they think of him, that he only cares what I think of him. Even though I told him that for to me to be with him he needs to get to know my family, they are my everything. He still won't do it?? I'm so confused as to why not? Its been going on for a year now!
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 01:35 PM

You can't force him to be comfortable around your family and if you force him to go, he won't be.

If you've already told him all of this then you need to go at a new angle.

Maybe try to write a letter down outlining all of the problems, with as little emotion as possible (I know that won't be easy) If it's written down in black and white, he may be able to see it more clearly.

Best of Luck.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jinglebells09 View Post
    He's claimed many times that if he didnt want to be in a relationship then he wouldnt be in it. Everything is perfect with us, except this one problem. i just want him to want to visit my family. Its like, if he can't accept them, why should i accept him? He says he doesnt care what they think of him, that he only cares what i think of him. Even though i told him that for to me to be with him he needs to get to know my family, they are my everything. He still wont do it?!!!?! I'm so confused as to why not? Its been goin on for a year now!
    There's a contradiction there. He says that he doesn't care what they think of him, but he cares about what you think of him. See... you obviously care what your family thinks of him. So if he makes a bad impression with your family, it's obviously going to affect your opinion about him. Does he not realize that?

The only thing is to continue talking it out with him. Really try to nail down the problem. I have a feeling that he's not taking your relationship as seriously as he is.

Mar 21, 2009, 01:39 PM
    He's claimed many times that if he didnt want to be in a relationship then he wouldnt be in it.
    She told me this as well. And the truth came out 4 months later, with her breaking my heart. Maybe he's had bad experiences with parents? Ive had 1 ex's dad try to fight me when he was drunk and taking meds... he was 1 foot shorter than me. Kind of reminded me of the fighting irish mascot. And another dad who looked down on me because I took his daughter away from her boyfriend who happened to be a trust fund baby and the son of Ameritech's vice president. So he viewed me as taking away his meal ticket. Either way, its clear he doesn't want to meet or see your family, he isn't accepting it and probably doesn't see how much it really means to you. If he was into the relationship like you were hed make an effort to respect your wishes and see them like you asked. Its really not a big deal to meet your partners parents.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 01:43 PM

If you get married, you will be marrying each other's families too. Yeah, I know you don't believe that, but it is true without a doubt. There will be family get-togethers, reunions, picnics, holiday dinners, birthday parties, christenings, weddings, and funerals on both sides. How will he handle any of those events when it is your family?

Mar 21, 2009, 01:57 PM

Thank you all for your advice and comments... hopefully we can figure something out!

Mar 21, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Thank you all for your advice and comments...hopefully we can figure something out!
    Communication is the key
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 01:59 PM

And respect!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 07:00 PM
    I would take his attitude toward your family, and friends ,as a preview of his attitude toward what's important to you, and something you need to resolve before it grows into a resentment, either by you, or him.
    booyah123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2012, 10:35 PM
    My boyfriend is he same way... we been together for about 5 months and he's been around my family 3 times, and I've been around his 100's... he always gives me an excuse like he's going to hang out with his friends or he just doesn't want to go.. I know he likes my family, because the last time they hung out they hit it off. But now, it's a hassle to get him to come over and hang out with my fam. Kind of bothers me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Visa for family visit? [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé lives in the UK and will be coming to visit his new family for a couple of weeks during the summer. Someone told us that he has to get a visa to do it. What all do we need to get before he come make the trip? And do I need to get anything besides my passport? I won't be going to school...

Status Changes - OPT to H1, Single to Married Plus Family Visit [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I was on OPT between 1st Jan - 30th Sept 2008 and on H1b between 1st Oct - 31st Dec 2008. They didn't deduct SS and Medicare taxes when on OPT but did when on H1 which is fine. My parents and sister visited me here during May-June 2008 on visitor visa and I incurred all the cost...

Should I visit my family despite of lots of inconveniences this would cause? [ 2 Answers ]

They want me to visit this weekend. I go to college in the city and live on-campus and I have my parents and married sister in far suburbs. I have used to visit them every 2- 3 weeks on weekends but its little bit hassle, because once I step out to train station in suburbs there is no way to get...

Wanting to visit family in UK while on probation [ 1 Answers ]

Well I have recently have gotten in trouble with the law but nothing severe. I was hoping to travel to England to visit my sister in college. My court case in a week. My soon to be PO told me to research the boarder regulations. I will only be gone for 5-6 days. I thought though that the PO should...

I have a 12 yr. Old spoiled cousin, but I want to visit family there too [ 2 Answers ]

Before I say anything more- I'm apologizing in advance for the longness of this: My cousin is 12 years old and she's a spoiled brat to the Nth degree. The best way I can describe how much is by starting at the beginning: When she was 2-3 yrs. Old, (I'm 8 yrs. Older than her) she was already...

View more questions Search