Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maryflynn1018 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2003, 12:50 PM
    Adoption laws
    Hi my name is mary, I live in nj. I have a 12 year old daughter from my previous marriage and I recently remarried. My new husband wants to adopt my daughter and we need to know how to go about the adoption. My ex took off and nobody knows where he is, he hasn't paid child support in over 10 years because we can't find him. He owes over $32,000. I was told that after 3 years of no contact or payment of child support, he has lost fathers rights. Is this true? I was also told that since its been so long I do not have to get his approval to my daughter being adopted my new husband. Can you please tell me what the law states about a situation like this. Again I live in nj. Thank you if you can help. Mary
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Apr 10, 2006, 07:22 PM
    I'm not sure if the same law applies in NJ. But in my case, in order to adopt my son and have my husband adopt my daughters, we both had to place an ad in the local paper with a notice of intent to adopt, even though both biological parents had been out of the picture for years, and even though It was very unlikely that either of them would be reading the local paper. The had had to run 3 days and then after it was unanswered, the adoption proceedings went uncontested.
    Here is a link to NJ statues, perhaps you can find something there. Good luck to you http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin...TOC_Frame_Pg42
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Hi,
    If you will contact a Lawyer in your state, it won't cost that much to be sure of what to do in this case; being advised by a Professional. I am not a lawyer, but would surely consult with one before adopting another man's child. The lawyer would be able to tell you what to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I was adopted 7 years ago with my twin. We were adopted from St.Petersburg, Russia and I really want to find my real Mom. I know that there might be a slight chance she could be dead because she was a serious heroin user. I am 16 and I feel like I am at a point in my life in which I am ready to...

Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted by a wonderful couple when I was only 3 months old. They never hid that from me and I am grateful. But 3 years ago I was contacted by my birth siblings. They are all nuts. I feel sorry for them. I was so lucky to have been placed in a loving home. I don't want them to call or come to...

Maryland adoption laws [ 2 Answers ]

I've been divorced about 2yrs.I have 2 children,boy 16 and girl 12,my ex has turned them against me and they said they don't want to have anything to do with me every since she meet her new boyfriend(shes married to him now) and the court said it was up to them to make that decision.awhile back the...

View more questions Search