Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    achakerian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Income tax treatment of sales tax on improvement to rental property
    For income tax purposes, major improvements to my rental property must be depreciated over a period of years.

Can I take the sales tax on those improvements as a deduction in the year of the improvement, or must the sales tax amount be included in the depreciation schedule?

Thank-you,

Annette
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 15, 2007, 06:31 AM
    They need to be added to the basis and depreciated.
    achakerian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxsearcher
    They need to be added to the basis and depreciated.

Thanks-you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Agree with TaxSearcher!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sales tax on capital improvement [ 5 Answers ]

First of all, I live in the state of NY. We have had contractors do work that would constitute as capital improvement (windows, boiler, plumbing not related to a repair). One of them charged me sales tax. I looked on the government's website and it stated that if you fill out the form you are not...

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

Sales Tax ID [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting a Home Business. I will be a Distributor for Mia Bella Scents. Please help me with this. Thank you, Barbara Dresslar

Sales tax [ 1 Answers ]

A week ago I bought a laptop in California and paid all necessary taxes. Now I am leaving the US from San Francisco and I'll take my new laptop outside the US. Can I return taxes (I have the Russian passport)? If yes, how and where can I do that? Thank you very much for assistance. Ma_Shma

Sales tax id#? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of opening an embroidery business operating from my home. I need to purchase clothing, blankets, hats, etc to have on hand as samples. I was told by the vendors that I need a sales tax id number?? or a resale tax id number?? I might be talking about 2 different tax id...

View more questions Search