Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JMsMommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 09:28 PM
    Is my son gifted?
    My son turned 5 in June. He starts kindergarten in the fall. My husband and I know he's fairly smart, but I'm starting to wonder if he's gifted/intelligent. I guess I can just list things about him, and maybe someone can help me. Is he just a little smart? Is he gifted?

He can:

• Count to 200
    • Make patterns/find patterns/fill in the pattern
    • Add/subtract numbers (right now we know he can do single digit, we haven't tried double)
    • Complete puzzles with at least 300 pieces (we do them with him, but he also works on his own)
    • Use rather large words/sentences
    • Spell three/four letter words
    • He's been able to write his name since he was 2 1/2
    • Easily remembers things without having to repeat them over and over again
    • He recognizes large numbers. For example, 1,000,000,000.
    • He builds elaborate creations with Legos. He can recreate ships from Star Wars.
    • He can name all the planets.
    • He LOVES to learn. He's very curious.
    • He can tell you if a number is greater than or less than another number.
    • He knows his colors, numbers, and alphabet.
    • He seems to teach himself. We don't have to repeat much of anything to him.
    • He's always liked documentaries on PBS that are way beyond his years. He will sit with us watching a show about volcanoes, the ocean, space, etc...
    • He enjoys listening to us read books such as the Magic Tree House Series.

I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting, but maybe you get the point. He's sensitive to people's feelings.

I've wondered for quite some time what to do, and to even mention this to anyone. I don't want to be the parent that constantly brags about her child... but there have been many clues to say that he is quite smart! He is mesmerizing! I'm not sure what to do. Do we do anything? We have bought the kindergarten worksheet books which he loves. We try to have things around that help him grow and stimulate his mind... Do we need to be doing more?

Thank you,
    JmsMommy
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 12:41 AM

Hi, JMsMommy!

It does look like he can do some things that are beyond that which most children would normally do for his age.

Is there a particular reason that you're wanted to know as to whether he's gifted or not, please?

Thanks!
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 03:40 AM

I have taught this age before... He is smart... many of those things he does is very common for his age. Others are a little unusual. Gifted? Let the school evaluate him. Social skills? You have not stated anything about these skills. They are more important at this time. Make sure this summer he has many different opportunities to develop these skills via play dates etc.
    mathwiz3502 Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 05:27 AM
    Yes, your child is gifted and is likely to have a good future, but you now have a job.
    You must now expose him too much more things that you would normally do.
    Most importantly, you must have your child try things that may be considered challenging.
    Gifted children, in my opinion, can both learn faster and elaborate on things they learn.
    This is why that when you expose them to many things when they are young, their intelligence may accellerate more than you think.
    I am even a gifted child as well; I'm 12.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gifted but. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am 18 years old and have an IQ of 135. I was considered gifted ever since I was about 6. I was in enrichment programs and honors classes my whole life. I was also chosen, along with 20 other people, out of 2,000 or so to be in my colleges honor program. Anyway, I am here to say that I...

I have an IQ 0f 180, am I gifted? [ 7 Answers ]

I have an IQ of 180 and I am 17yrs old. But I need extra time to understand things in maths, physics etc but finally I become successful to understand the concepts but taking so much time. So what does IQ signifies?

Is she gifted? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, My youngest daughter is unusualy bright and still very curious at 12 years old, so I took her to the doctors and they gave her an IQ test, all I was told about it was that she has an IQ of 131. I don't know what this means as I was given no scale or any other information. ...

Am I gifted [ 2 Answers ]

I just found out today that my IQ was 129 and I'm 12 does that man I'm gifted?

Is my son gifted or not? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi can any one tell me if my 18month old son is girfted he sleeps inn a single bed doesn't like the cot we can understanted what he wants and he tell up what he what's he can tell us what a car a truck, motor bike and a plane are by the sound they make as they go pasted the house so is my son...

View more questions Search