Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jetlat7878 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
    Working with Brazilian Cherry planks
    I am in the process of making a table top from 3 1/8" Brazilian Cherry planks that I got from Lumber Liquidators. The same material one would use for hardwoor floors.

The table will measure 53" square with a removable center piece which is 16". I have glued the three sections that make up the table top using Franklin's Wood Glue, clamped, and now ready to finish.

I have read a few opinions online how to finish the wood. Some say use a random orbital sander while others say do not use a belt sander. My thought was to use a 4X24 belt sander to remove the initial stock to achieve a level, smooth table top with 80 grit.

Floor sander contractors use belt sanding machines which are much larger of course.

I am thinking of using Minwax Red Mahogany stain and finish with two coats of Minwax polyurathane.

• What would you suggest is the best method for finishing unfinished Baravian Cherry from start to finish? I want to finish the table with a satin sheen. Plan to use belt sander 80 grit, followed by 120 grit. Then switch to random orbital sander with 180 grit then 220. Stain top and after drying, coat with sanding sealer. Finish with 320 between coats.
    • Do you think it is necessary to wet between coats of 320 or higher?

Thank You,
    Jim
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2011, 03:54 PM
    I have never had luck using a belt sander for the purpose you propose, too many gullies. You can use a random orbit for fast cutting and then use a straight 1/4 sheet sander for the finish. Always finish with the grain. You don't need to wet sand 320, dry sand and wipe with mineral spirits. Satin will hide small defects. Send us a picture of the finished table.

Oct 31, 2011, 05:52 PM
    Ok will do and thank you

Oct 31, 2011, 06:03 PM
    Forgot to ask. Since this table is going to be used for a kitchen table, is polyurethane the best choice with small kids, spilled drinks, food, etc.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2011, 12:32 PM
    In a kitchen, I use Minwax "Helmsman" poly. It is primarilly made for the boating market but is a superb product for all surfaces that may be wet. There are other brands but I'm a Minwax fan. Just finished staining an oak door with a minwax mix of 1part Golden Oak, 3parts Early American, 1part Red Mahogany, 2 coats satin poly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expatriate Brazilian citizen working in the United States [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if a expatriate Brazilian citizen working in the United States have to pay tax in the US after to sold a property in Brazil. Thank you very much.

Problems with laminate flooring/planks peaking [ 3 Answers ]

We recently had some shaw 8mm laminate flooring installed. Very soon after the install, a few boards starting peaking up on the ends. I thought it was maybe touching a wall, but I read that the planks on both sides would push up against each other. We had the installer out and he says it's the...

Laminate Flooring Planks Not Flat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there I am laying a laminate floor myself. The planks came wrapped and pakaged they are not flat. When taken from the pakaging there is a slight bow/sag in them. Will this affect the laying of the floor? Will it flaten out? Any comments or suggestions would be appriciated. Thanks

View more questions Search