Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gryffindor7997 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Problems with laminate flooring/planks peaking
    We recently had some shaw 8mm laminate flooring installed. Very soon after the install, a few boards starting peaking up on the ends. I thought it was maybe touching a wall, but I read that the planks on both sides would push up against each other. We had the installer out and he says it's the flooring. The flooring store says it's the installer. It seems more and more are popping up every few days(we have it throughout the house and each room is experiencing it. The installer is going to come out again to replace some boards, but it is to the point now were they are going to have to pull the whole floor and we are worried its going to happen. Any suggestions on what the problem is or a solution?

One more thing, when we picked up the flooring the boxes were wrapped on the ends with plastic wrap and not completely boxed. I had never bought flooring before so I didn't think anything of it, but the installer says that he had never seen flooring packed like that.
    mike jones 1269 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2008, 05:34 PM
    If you are sure there is plenty of expansion on both sides (about 1/4 inch) and this is aproblem that is growing day by day it might be a moisture problem. Is it less noticeable in the morning when it's cooler or maybe when the A/C is on if that is the case it sounds like humidity in the air some manufactures recommend you keep it aleast 77 degrees . Try turning the air down for acouple of days to see if there is a change... keep in mind the store already made there money off you now you're the installers problem not theirs, if he installed it right (plenty of expansion, let the flooring acclimate for the right amount of time, and did not beat the product together ,and did the proper subfloor test)then talk to the flooring shop let them know that the installation was done right or wrong and have them take care of it with maybe calling out a different installer or maybe a local sales rep. for shaw so they can check it out... if the install was done right then it's the product!! Who sold you the product?? Who made the product?? Then that is who needs to be taking care of this product!!
    gryffindor7997 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gryffindor7997
    We recently had some shaw 8mm laminate flooring installed. Very soon after the install, a few boards starting peaking up on the ends. I thought it was maybe touching a wall, but i read that the planks on both sides would push up against each other. We had the installer out and he says its the flooring. The flooring store says its the installer. It seems more and more are popping up every few days(we have it throughout the house and each room is experiencing it. The installer is gonna come out again to replace some boards, but it is to the point now were they are gonna have to pull the whole floor and we are worried its gonna happen. Any suggestions on what the problem is or a solution?

one more thing, when we picked up the flooring the boxes were wrapped on the ends with plastic wrap and not completely boxed. I had never bought flooring before so i didnt think anything of it, but the installer says that he had never seen flooring packed like that.
    The installer did use a lot of tools to get the boards in place, and I thought they were just simple snap ins.
    sandybear Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 03:03 AM
    Before any flooring is install, they would have to let the wood sit in room temperature for at least 48 hours for the wood to adjusted. So if your flooring was just out from the warehouse, they might not have time to expand or shrink. Also radiant heating can cause wood to expand or shrink on climate control. Has your installer allow enough time for the flooring to sit at your home before installing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problems with laminate flooring [ 6 Answers ]

Before I go back to the place that installed my laminate floors, I need to know if there is something I can do. It is so hard to set up a time with them to come back out. There are a few planks that are slightly up at the corners and do not lay flat. When I swiffer, it snags. I have tried...

Laminate flooring problems [ 2 Answers ]

Have you ever heard about using a t-bar when installing laminate flooring. We just remodeled and had the floor professionally installed . Some spots seem to be rippling. The had an inspector come in and verified the installation is good,level,there is a 1/4 in gap around perimeter. It's a top of...

Laminate Flooring Planks Not Flat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there I am laying a laminate floor myself. The planks came wrapped and pakaged they are not flat. When taken from the pakaging there is a slight bow/sag in them. Will this affect the laying of the floor? Will it flaten out? Any comments or suggestions would be appriciated. Thanks

Laminate floor peaking and bridgeing [ 7 Answers ]

:( Is there anything that can be done to repair laminate flooring that was apparently installed improperly? It was installed on cement that had not thoroughly dried. (Cement was used to level the floor) Also, glued the panels down. I have learned since the install that this should have not been...

Laminate flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I have several sections of laminate flooring that have been chipped.Is there a way to replace just the damaged pieces?:confused:

View more questions Search