Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wfransom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Cost of a 3.5 ton compressor
    My air conditionaing unit booklet includes three different reference numbers. They are as follows: 38CKB(N), 38CMB, 38BRB Split-System Air Conditioner. Do the numbers represent the furnace, top floor unit, and bottom floor unit? If so, what number would I use to locate the unit that needs the compressor (top floor)? Also, what is the cost for replacing a 3.5 ton Carrier compressor?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 02:12 PM
    I would get the part number right off the compressor inside the unit. Many times during production the compressor brand or model number changes.

Cost of replacing a compressor varies depending upon weather it is a burn out, needs additional parts (capacitors etc) replaced. The area you live in and the labor rate.

You will probably be better off replacing the entire outside uint since the cost of replacing a compressor alone can be quite expensive and with a new unit you will get a 5 or 10 year warranty.
    Stubby74 Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Nov 1, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wfransom
    My air conditionaing unit booklet includes three different reference numbers. They are as follows: 38CKB(N), 38CMB, 38BRB Split-System Air Conditioner. Do the numbers represent the furnace, top floor unit, and bottom floor unit? If so, what number would I use to locate the unit that needs the compressor (top floor)? Also, what is the cost for replacing a 3.5 ton Carrier compressor?
    Carrier labeling using the "38" refers to the outdoor unit. Depending on why you are replacing compressor depends on if you should replace compressor or entire system. I agree with Hvac1000... sometimes it is not money well spent on a compressor out of warranty. And if you are getting compressor only replaced make sure it is with a valid company, there is a lot of "responsible" work to do when replacing compressor right.
    LauraQ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2013, 07:28 PM
    My air conditioner is not working. It was diagnosed today and the technician determined the compressor is out. He recommended replacement. The quote is $2300 including labor and part. The unit is a 3 ton unit. My hour is 10 years old and unit is our of warranty.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2013, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraQ View Post
    My air conditioner is not working. It was diagnosed today and the technician determined the compressor is out. He recommended replacement. The quote is $2300 including labor and part. The unit is a 3 ton unit. My hour is 10 years old and unit is our of warranty.
    I answered your single post. See comments above which pertain to your situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a 3 ton coil match up with a 2 ton condenser unit [ 19 Answers ]

I have a new Payne brand 2 ton central air unit that was installed by my home warranty company, and after two months and after they sent out three different companies to try and fix my cooling problem, the last company decided that the original Carrier brand system that has been in my home for 26...

Does a 4 ton evaporator coil match up with a 3 ton condenser? [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into an 11 year old house last month. The AC has not worked properly since we moved in. The first AC guy the Homeowners Warranty company sent cleaned the unit and added freon. A month later, it was 83 degrees downstairs today. Last week they sent another guy and he found what he...

Trane 2 ton & 2 1/2 ton pricing [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if I am getting a fair or good price from a local company located here in Miami, Florida. Believe it or not the two A/C units in my home are still working from the day the house was built 19 years ago. I received a quote on 2 Trane units. XB13 2TTB30 30 = $2499 XB13...

4 ton or 5 ton unit for 1780 sq ft home [ 2 Answers ]

I was woundering which unit would be more efficient for cooling home in Tucson Az? I have a 1780 sq ft home, included is an addition of @ 280 sq ft that has no duct work for vents. Home is a made of brick with the exception of the addition, I also just had dual pane windows installed and home is...

Cost of compressor contactor [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a quote to have my compressor contactor( I hope this is the right spelling ) replaced for my heat pump/ac. I would like to know if this is a reasonable quote. Thanks in advance for your help. Thanks, John

View more questions Search