Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erlobenauer Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 15, 2007, 05:33 AM
    Drawing and Shading portraits
    Ok - so I started drawing at 13, never took an art class in my life. I just started again, its probably been around 5 years since I've drawn anything. I'm OK , I mean drawing comes natural to me, but I can't seem to figure out the correct way to shade when drawing a portrait - can anyone help me on this please?
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 12:48 AM
    Hi there!
    I ran across your post while browsing this early morning - 2:42! I enjoyed FB's links.

This may not have anything to do with answering your question but something I did not see in the links was the importance of the source of light. In any drawing, you might locate the light source and see where the shadows are cast the strongest. Just an idea!

I have had one kind of teaching that says there should never be any white of the paper showing, that is, use the pencil or whatever medium and cover all parts of the drawing with some of the medium. This seems to give it more substance. The other teaching, as in watercolor is to use the white of the paper to work for you. I have done both and do both, depending on the piece.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 01:01 AM
    Shading Tutorial - Understanding the Art of Shading

Jan,
    Is this link what you mean?
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 01:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    I had just viewed the links in your earlier post. I just viewed the Shading Tutorial. That was amazing! That is exactly what I was referring to. Thank you FB for having that link available. I will reread that. I try to continue to improve my style of pencil drawing.
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 01:32 AM
    Family Themes - Pencil Drawing Gallery

This is a link to one of my favorite artists! His technicque is much softer than mine. Erica, you have a soft touch with pencils. I imagine you would enjoy viewing this artists work. FB and Erica, let me know what you think of his work.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 02:14 AM
    I loved the Grandma's tea party work, the wrinkles on the old hand and the chubbiness of the little hands.Beautiful!
    Thanks Jan for the link.
    dclarke10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by erlobenauer
    Ok - so I started drawing at 13, never took an art class in my life. I just started again, its probably been around 5 years since I've drawn anything. I'm OK , I mean drawing comes natural to me, but I can't seem to figure out the correct way to shade when drawing a portrait - can anyone help me on this please?!
    I don't know

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anime! Need help drawing it! [ 5 Answers ]

Can any one gimme a site that teaches you how to draw anime style? Nothing that makes you pay just sites that are for free? Sites that give you tutorials? Anything would be great thanks!:D

Drawing Horses [ 3 Answers ]

I know horses are hard to draw. I can draw the back neck belly and head fine, its just the legs. Can I have some tips on this?

Contemporaneous portraits/statues of Jesus? Why not? [ 7 Answers ]

Has there ever been any authenticated portrait/statue of Jesus that was made when Jesus was alive? If not, why would there not be? If we believe Jesus existed, here is a man performing miracles and gathering followers. Why would not one of them jot down a portrait or scupt a statue?

Drawing Structures [ 4 Answers ]

How do I Draw the structure of the following compound. 3-(bromomethyl)-4-octanol

Shading when Printing E-mail [ 2 Answers ]

We are using Outlook Web Access. When my user signs into windows and e-mail she receives a shaded gray background when she prints. If I sign into the machine there is no background. Is there a setting that I am missing or could there be something wrong with her windows profile. (OS = Win2K)

View more questions Search