Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pate11961 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2011, 04:26 AM
    Can an employer force an employee to work while on vacation?
    Can an employer, by law, require that an employee take the work lap top and perform job functions while on vacation?
    Can the employee be terminated for refusal to do so?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 22, 2011, 05:46 AM
    Neither federal nor any state law that I know of has protection for work ordered to be done while on vacation.
    If your company publishes their own policy and it's stated in there, then you have a case.
    This is the sort of situation that you have to handle using all the brains and finesse you can muster. Either your laptop won't pick up a signal, it gets full of sand, or you just flat out refuse, or charge the boss with hours worked against future vacation time. Figure it out.

Yes, you can be fired. A vacation is a perq, not a hazardous work condition or overtime or denial of a break to use the bathroom.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 22, 2011, 05:48 AM

Do you have a contract with the company? Are you a salaried employee?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2011, 04:07 PM

It also depends on your job. They may, legally, require that you check your mail and be on call. But then you may be able to negotiate something in return.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2011, 06:55 PM

You can of course turn in to be paid for work time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an employer divulge personal employee information to a non employee? [ 14 Answers ]

I was hurt at work and have been off for 6 weeks due to my injury. My question is, can my employer tell a friend of his that I have been off work and hurt, and missing a lot of work?

How can a force transferred person force a more senior employee to go to a different [ 1 Answers ]

2 employees with less seniority have been put in my department and now I have been forced to a different shift

How do I respond when an employee asks to extend vacation days while on vacation? [ 2 Answers ]

Employee asked for Monday off for vacay. Approved. Then, Monday evening, she called me to ask for Tuesday off. She is an employee who has done this before, giving reasons that have to do with her son and his father spending more time, etc.etc. I'm all for family time, but feel that this is...

Can my employer require unpaid work for an hourly employee? [ 2 Answers ]

My employer has set up a system where we work on projects and each of these has a specific budget. When the budget runs out, we stop getting paid to work on that project. We often find ways around this so it isn't always a problem, but last week I was directed to complete several projects with no...

Employee rights on vacation pay already earned [ 7 Answers ]

If an employee earns vacation under the existing policy but has not taken it yet or lost it and the company changes their policy on vacation and this employee becomes no longer eligible for vacation, does he lose the vacation he had already earned before the policy changed? :confused:

View more questions Search