Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sam_1989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Boy or girl
    How can you tell if it is a boy or girl by the rate of the heart beat?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 04:45 PM
    I don't know if this theory is true, but it has been said that boys have higher heart rates than girls. Both of my sons heartbeats were always everywhere though, so that theory couldn't have worked for me. :)
    MrsHec4 Posts: 118, Reputation: 4

Aug 7, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Sorry to contradict but I've heard that girls hearts beats are faster than boys but only a doc can tell you for sure
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Okay, I just researched, and MrsHec was right. If the heart rate is above 140 it is supposedly a girl, and below 140 it is supposedly a boy. There is also no evidence or proof that this theory is true and it is not an accurate way of detecting sex.

My boys heart rates were always over 140 whenever I had a check up, so you can see why this is not an accurate way of detecting sex. :)
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Aug 7, 2007, 05:35 PM
    There is no real theory to this you can't tell by the heartrate all that I can say is that a heart rate of 120 to 160 is normal for both boys and girls.

With my son and my daughter they both had heart rates of around 150.
    Also their heart rate can change due to there activity meaning one day it could be 160 then it could be 140 the next because the baby is sleeping.
    Only a ultrasound can tell you for sure.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 8, 2007, 06:42 AM
    According to heart rates, my niece should have been a nephew. ;)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Actually the only time this is even close to being true is during delivery, when a girls heartrate will quicken... that is the ONLY documented evidence... anything else is just old wives tales... there is no way to know prior to birth other than through ultrasound or amnio... but it is fun guessing :)
    hmcglynn Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Oct 13, 2007, 02:28 AM
    Well honestly the doctor might not want to tell you much about the sex of the baby even after you get the ultra sound. My doc flipped out when I told him the tech that did the ultra sound said my baby was a girl... He told me you can't tell those things until after 22 weeks or so... but as far as the heart rate goes my daughters heart rate was always above 140 usually 150 or so... I think the lowest was 141... if you have a mother like mine she might've called the week before you found out you were pregnant and told you that she had a dream you had a girl... lol that was nutts but she was right on the nose with that one.
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Oct 13, 2007, 06:17 AM
    I had two boys and their heart rate was always 160 to 170 so I do not belvie that story
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 13, 2007, 06:46 AM
    There is no way to tell from the heartbeat alone (just had this subject in school). Normal fetal heartbeats fluctuate between 120 and 160 beats per minute. This rate can increase or decrease depending on your fluid and electrolyte balance, any sugars you may have eaten recently, your level of activity, etc.

Say you had a glass of Pepsi, it has caffeine, so the baby's heartbeat will rise. If you are tired and ready for bed, the baby's heartbeat will drop.

So, this is strictly an old wives tale. The only way to know for certain is an amniocentesis or delivery. Even ultrasounds can be inconclusive or incorrect at times.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Oct 13, 2007, 06:45 PM
    If you get the baby's heart rate checked after you just walked in the examining room it will be higher then if you have been sitting for hours. Their heart rates jump around too much to really tell if you have a baby with a high or low hart rate, unless of course you get an NST.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boy or girl? [ 3 Answers ]

My name is Barbara and I'm 14 weeks pregnant. My birthday is 3/22/1983. And my due date is 6/27/07. I want to know if I'm going to have a boy or girl.

I'm a girl or boy [ 2 Answers ]

Okaiie well here's the thing I have a best friend ,Stephaniee realliee pretty great she's a girly girl well that's what people thinkbut she sayd she's a tom boy in the middle kind of person and me well I'm totally not sure I wear eyeliner and grey eyeshadow and Mascara but I ussally wear swets or...

Boy or girl [ 3 Answers ]

I have 5 children 1 girl and 4 boys. First 2 was with another relationship which 1 was a girl,1 a boy my last 4 babies have been boys and I am 33 and pregnant with my 6th child will I ever have another girl

Boy or girl [ 9 Answers ]

I am 3 months pregnant, will I have a boy or a girl

Boy or Girl? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! About two weeks ago I discovered I am pregnant! ;D I wonder if anyone can tell me whether it's a boy or a girl. Thanks!

View more questions Search