Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joehays Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2015, 06:44 PM
    Heat pump continues to heat house when temperature is above setting
    Hello,

My heat pump won't stop heating my house when the temperature gets above the setting.

Example:
    Outside temperature: 14 degrees F
    Inside temperature setting: 68 degrees F
    Actual inside temperature: 74 degrees F (and still heating)

I have EMERGENCY HEAT on because its so cold.

I cannot stop the heating... If I set the thermostat to OFF the system does not turn off but keeps heating. The only way I can stop the system is to flip the circuit breaker off and leave it off for at least 2-3 minutes.

I've made no changes to the system. It's been working just fine this season until yesterday.

Any ideas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 16, 2015, 07:07 PM
    "I have EMERGENCY HEAT on because its so cold." can you explain exactly what this is? Is it a backup furnace possible gas fired

Feb 16, 2015, 07:53 PM
    I'm no expert on heat pumps but as I understand it... once it gets too cold the heat pump cannot generate enough heat to heat the house. The EMERGENCY HEAT, I believe, is simply an electrical heating element inside the heat pump that generates the heat instead (when activated). It's more expensive than the heat pump but it can still generate heat when the heat pump cannot. At least, that's my understanding.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2015, 08:32 PM
    In most cases the emergency heat is electric restance coils in the air handler. When the thermostat is turned to "emergency heat" the outdoor unit is shut down & all heating is done by the electric strip heat.
    Joe, it sounds like the emergency heat relay in your air handler is sticking.
    How old is your heat pump?

Feb 17, 2015, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grady White View Post
    In most cases the emergency heat is electric restance coils in the air handler. When the thermostat is turned to "emergency heat" the outdoor unit is shut down & all heating is done by the electric strip heat.
    Joe, it sounds like the emergency heat relay in your air handler is sticking.
    How old is your heat pump?
    I'm not entirely sure how old the system is. I bought this house a few years ago but the house is 23 years old.

I think you're right about the relay. After reseting the system using the circuit breaker I switch EMERGENCY HEAT off and reverted back to normal HEAT mode. Ever since then the system is regulating properly. Thanks for the help!
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2015, 08:42 PM
    You are more than welcome. I do suggest getting that relay checked out by a local pro familiar with heat pumps & electric furances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I change the aux heat setting on my bryant a07045 with heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change the aux heat setting on my bryant a07045 with heat pump

Setting outdoor temperature sensor heat pump [ 5 Answers ]

I have a heat pump that is part of a dual fuel system. It shuts off and then a furnace kicks on. Right now the Heat pump shuts off when the tempature falls below 45 degrees. Every thing I've read says the system is capable to down around freezing with no issues. How can I lower the heat pump set...

Setting low-temperature cut-out and balance point on Coleman Heat Pump [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Coleman HC3B heat pump. The local service technician showed me the jumpers for the low-temperature cut-out (LTCO) and balance point (BP). It appears to be a set of pins with labels decreasing in value by 5 (45, 40, 35, etc.) which I assume are the temperature. I would like to...

New Heat Pump does not turn off at temperature setting [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a heat pump from a national company and it was installed in early January, 2008. When the thermostat is set, it will not get to that temperature, but usually stays 2 degree under and runs constantly. Only once or twice has it cut off by itself at the desired setting, and then only for...

View more questions Search