Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    david Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2003, 07:10 PM
    Grass
    I bought a new house in December and my yard is full of weeds. How do I start growing grass?
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

May 11, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Depends on

How many weeds you got
    How quickly you want results
    How phisical you want to get with the project
    What type of soil you got underneath
    dMacII Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

May 14, 2007, 06:03 AM
    If your yard is truly full of weeds, then you'll want to kill them before trying to grow grass. For most new lawns, you just ignore the weeds at the beginning, start growing grass and then kill the weeds after the grass has grown enough that you have had to mow 2 or 3 times.

If your soil is hard on the surface then you would be wise to rent a seeding machine that slits the ground and plants the seeds in the slits. If the soil is loose, you can use the machine or spread seed with a spreader. Fertilize with a "Starter" type fertilizer and then cover it with straw.

Either way you need to keep the surface of the ground moist by watering lightly 2 times per day until the seeds sprout and the seedlings are about 1" high. Then you can back off to watering once per day. The objective is to allow the roots to develop to the point that the grass can survive between normal waterings or rainfall.

Once you have mowed 2-3 times, then you can kill the weeds. Use a weed and feed fertilizer or fertilize separately and use a liquid fertilizer.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grass types? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you tell what type of grass you have so you can re-seed your lawn?

Grass seed [ 1 Answers ]

How long after spreading fertalizer with haltz can I plant new seed.

Improving my grass [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Indianapolis, In and it is February now. I have a lawn that used to be a horse pasture and it has a mixture of many kinds of weeds and grasses along with real grass of unknown kind. I want to know how to improve my grass growth and reduce my weeds and other grasses. What can I do in...

Bermuda Grass [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything that will kill or inhibit bermuda grass that is taking over my yard and smothering the other grass?

Moss in grass [ 1 Answers ]

I have some moss growing in the grass in my back yard. The yard is on the eastern side of the house and has trees on one side. It does get sun during the day until the early afternoon. It has been airrated. The moss is starting to create bald patches in the grass. What can I do to get the...

View more questions Search