Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aim4gold Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2005, 05:54 AM
    White vs Black pvc Sewer Piping
    In 3" pvc sewer piping

What is the difference between the white and the black?
    Can you mix the two in the same sewer run?

My house is 30 or so years old, I have both white and black in the same run (white horizontal and black vertical) it was that way from the day I bought it some 8 years ago - but I thought I heard some time back that you can't mix the two?

What are the problems if any?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2005, 07:11 AM
    Take a close look at the black ''PVC''. I think you will be able to read ABS on it. ABS is a different type of plastic. It used to be common, but am not sure it is available any more. It requires a different type of cement for the joints. However, there is a universal cement that can be used to join the 2 types. You shouldn't have any problems if whoever did the work mixing the 2 used the right cement. If you are planing any work, stick with the white stuff. If you must connect with the black, find some of the universal cement. I wouldn't count on the home centers to have it. You may have to go to a plumbing supply house.

If you have any more plumbing questions, it would be best to post them to the plumbing forum. There is a sharp guy there named Tom, knows more about plumbing than all the rest of us here put together. He may not see questions under home maintenance. I am just passing on what I learned from him about black drain pipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2005, 07:27 AM
    "I am just passing on what I learned from him about black drain pipe."
    And passing it on very well I might add, Labman.
    Let me add a little more to labmans answer.

There are four types of plastic in general use. Black plastic, which is ABS,(Acylonitrile Butadine Styrene) and white plastic which is PVC and CPVC,(Polyvinyl Chloride and Chlornated Polyvinyl Chloride) ABS is used for drainage. PVC is used outside the house for cold water feed from the pump or the meter Also drainage both inside and outside the house. CPVC is rated for both hot and cold lines and can be used to plumb a house on the inside and then we have Polybutylene pipe,(PB or Polly Pipe) which is flexible tubing on water piping.
    And now you know about plastic pipoing. We switched from ABS to PVC in my area in the 70's because PVC was a stronger plastic. This doesn't mean that ABS should be torn out and replaced but that only PVC was a better product.
    While earlier plumbing codes forbid the commingling of PVC and ABS, When Oatey came on the market with a all purpose glue that restriction was relaxed. If you have no leaks or complaints with your present set up then I can see nor reason for you to be concerned. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blue, Black and White wires in celing fan [ 2 Answers ]

I removed a ceiling fan to replace a switch but did not note the wires. Now I want to replace the fan but find it has Blue, Black and White wires, whereas the wires coming from the ceiling are only White and Black. It also has a green wire attached to the casing. Does the blue and black wire...

Lead piping [ 6 Answers ]

I think I have lead piping in my bathroom. Wanted to know if I could used a compression fitting to do a lead to copper joint. And does anyone know if I could use normal copmression fittings on the lead pipe because I want to add a valve.

Gas piping upgrade [ 6 Answers ]

I am consider installing a tankless water heater. The gas line that goes to my current hot water tank is a 1/2 inch galvanized drop from a 3/4 line in the attic. This 3/4 line seems to come off a reducer coupling from the main supply line that is at least a 1.4 inch size. The unit I am considering...

Basement bathroom piping [ 3 Answers ]

I’m planning to ad a bathroom in my basement. The house was built in 1999 and the builder installed the piping in the concrete basement floor. There is a 4“ pipe for the toilet, and two 2” pipes for a shower and sink. These three pipes extend out of the floor about 18”. There is a vent pipe...

View more questions Search