Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dstanton63 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Changing a Deed
    My mother currently lives in Fx County Virginia. She has no mortgage on her house and would like to get a home equity loan to do some much needed repairs. The problem is that she doesn't have sufficient income to repay the loan. We are considering adding either my sisters or my name to the deed so that we can take out the loan in our names. How difficult is it to change the deed to have our names added and is that a good idea?
    ttarzan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Can you do a reverse mortgage in your state? That is where the bank will pay her money each month and then she would get money to do repairs and not have to pay it back. Just a thought.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2006, 09:08 AM
    Hello d:

If she doesn't have sufficient income to repay a loan, how indeed, IS she going to repay the loan, no matter how it is secured? Are YOU or your sister going to pay? Equally? Who is going to inherit the house? Does she have a will? Are there other heirs?

These factors are salient. There are a number of ways to achieve her/your objective, but I would need further information in order to give you an informed answer.

As suggested, a reverse mortgage could certainly do the trick, but it should be noted that she's selling the house to the bank. She's just not delivering it yet. Of course, in that instance, there's no house to inherit...

excon

Aug 14, 2006, 09:17 AM
    My sister or I would be paying back whatever loan was taken out. When my mother sells the house (eventually) she will be using the proceeds to purchase a spot in an assisted living community -- no house or assets to inherit so it doesn't matter.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Hello again, d:

Well, that clears things up. Then you or your sister ought to be able to get a loan with your mothers home pledged as collateral.

excon
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 14, 2006, 10:19 AM
    Talk to a VA RE attorney. This is easy to do... reverse mortgage is the BEST way to do it; otherwise, you two cosign on the HELC.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2006, 02:24 PM
    Hello again d:

A reverse mortgage is an excellent tool. It is, however, designed to fix a particular problem. Unfortunately, it's not the problem you have.

Some older folks used to find themselves in a precarious situation. They've paid off their home, and want to stay, but the home represents the bulk of their net worth. Before reverse mortgages, the only choice people in that situation had, was to sell the house. However, a reverse mortgage pays them an income and allows them to stay in the house till they die.

That isn't your family's problem nor desire. A reverse mortgage will not provide a lump sum of cash, which is what this whole thing is about in the first place. Plus, the bank is going to own her house, and there will be no money to buy her place in the assisted living facility.

Whether she gets the loan and you co-sign or you get the loan because she put her house up as collateral, doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Either way will solve your problem, though. A reverse mortgage will not.

excon

Aug 14, 2006, 02:32 PM
    Thanks everyone for your help. It has given me some good ideas.
    mistyam5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 06:14 PM
    I am 57, my husband is 73, he wants to pursue a "reverse mtg" can my name be put on deed -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My name is not on the deed, what now? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: I plan on retaining an attorney as soon as I get the funds, but in the meantime, I have questions! We have been married for 4 years, together for a total of 12 years. First thing is our home. We bought it from his mother, no contract-just verbal. My husband took out a mortgage on it...

Contract for deed [ 3 Answers ]

Selling and wondering what steps to take over and above my realtor? Thanks

Name on deed [ 3 Answers ]

What do I have to do to put my sons name on the deed to my house

Deed [ 1 Answers ]

My question is: I bought a house about 6 years ago when I was a single mom. Recently I got married and have NOT put my husbands name on the deed. Now my question is, if I decide to divorce him does he have any rights to my house?

View more questions Search