Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AudioCourses Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2005, 03:58 PM
    Rugby
    What game is there in the world that even comes close to rugby for excellence?

ANS: None...
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jan 22, 2005, 12:08 PM
    Define Excellence
    I understand your joy with the game of Rugby Football. I do not understand what you mean by excellence. Please explain what you mean when you say that Rugby is the most excellent game.

Oldcoach

Jan 22, 2005, 02:33 PM
    Biased
    Are you a player?

My statement was obviously very biased, being a player myself.

However, it truly is a wonderful game, on many levels.

Jan 23, 2005, 01:14 PM
    Define Excellence
    What do you mean when you say, "What game is there in the world that even comes close to rugby for excellence?

ANS: None..."

How do you define excellence? What factors make Rugby "more excellent"?

Oldcoach

Jan 23, 2005, 01:32 PM
    Rugby
    Here you go.

http://wesclark.com/rrr/rugby_thoughts.html

Jan 23, 2005, 06:01 PM
    Good points- Just as all sports
    Stepping back and looking at the website you posted; I see your point. Are you open-minded enough to be unbiased about the value of all sports? The writer asked if the audience was a player. I, in turn, ask, "Have you played other sports enough to understand the enjoyment, fitness, discipline, respect, and camaraderie, experienced in other sports? You see, players of all sports believe that their game is most excellent.

I have played 11 different sports myself. I have coached five different sports- two of them professionally. I have heard similar statements many times. Each person is correct in his or her own reasoning, but I have never heard somebody issue the excellent statement as a challenge. I guess it sounded like a challenge because of the tone and structure of the posting.

It is hard to convey enthusiasm or any intense emotion in writing. I have found that it helps to “set-up” the tone of the written word by offering some background. Enthusiasm is especially difficult, because it can come across as challenging or insulting without setting the tone with some background.

Thanks for responding and patiently providing background. That set the tone for me. I wish you the best of luck and hope your enthusiasm pushes you to new successes each day.

Oldcoach

Jan 29, 2005, 10:49 AM
    Running
    Are you open-minded enough to be unbiased about the value of all sports?
    Yup.

I'm also involved with competetive long distance running.

Sport rocks.

Mar 26, 2005, 02:35 PM
    Are they related?
    You said that you play Rugby Football and that you also do Long-distance Running. Have you found:
    1- Any benefits that either sport can enhance performance in the other?
    2- Anything that one of your sports might cause problems in the other?
    3- Any similarities between the two sports? (mental or physical)

Oldcoach

Mar 27, 2005, 02:16 PM
    Brief
    Here we go:

1- Any benefits that either sport can enhance performance in the other?

Hmm I find stamina for both.

2- Anything that one of your sports might cause problems in the other?

Yes, long distance running is better with a more slight frame and the muscles are more (not sure of the word), longer? For rugby I need a heavier frame and more power over short periods, explosiveness.

3- Any similarities between the two sports? (mental or physical)

None for physical, mental.. hmmm determination for sure.

Apr 10, 2005, 06:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding... We've discussed how "doing" both your sports affects performance in the other. Now tell me how doing both your sports affects/benefits your body and mental outlook.

Oldcoach
    half_samoan Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2005, 04:45 AM
    Rugby is the game they play in heaven...
    Howzit going old coach,
    I have to agree with your love for the game! Rugby truly is for me, the greatest game of them all. Tactics, speed, power, endurance. By the way mate, if you had to say, what's you favourite rugby club team in the super 12?

Jul 10, 2005, 07:35 PM
    Tell me more
    I do not follow the Super 12, but I would like to know more.
    I am interested in many sports and have been involved in many also.
    My father was a Rugby player here in the United States. I do not know much of the details about his team, because he retired before I started grade school. I just got this feeling that my father wants me to learn more about it though. So let's talk.

Oldcoach

Jul 10, 2005, 11:35 PM
    Watz up
    Hey old coach,
    Thanks for the reply, um yeah well about the "super 12", it's now going to be "super 14" with the addition of 2 new teams: the perth, australia based "western force" and south african based "central cheetahs". And if I get this right they are starting next year. So all in all you have:

1.New South Wales "Waratahs" (Australia)
    2.QueensLand "Reds" (Australia)
    3.A.C.T "Brumbies" (Australia)
    4.Perth "Western Force" (Autralia)

5.Auckland "Blues" (New Zealand)
    6.Waikato "Chiefs" (New Zealand)
    7.Wellington "Hurricanes" (New Zealand)
    8.Canterbury "Crusaders" (New Zealand)
    9.Otago "Highlanders" (New Zealand)

10."Blue Bulls" (South Africa)
    11."Cats" (South African)
    12."Sharks" (South Africa)
    13."Stormers" (South Africa)
    14."Central Cheetahs" (South Africa)

I'm pretty sure The super 12 started back in 1996 as "super 10". This years super 12 champions were the "Canterbury Crusaders", overwhelmingly defeating the "Waratahs". The "Crusaders" have won the super 12 a record 5 times.
    Cheers mate, looking forward to hearing from you again.

Jul 11, 2005, 12:12 AM
    Dear "Trooper12"...
    Hey "trooper 12",
    Why do you think "rugby" stinks? Okay..
    Maybe the comment from someone else that you quoted may just be a tad bit too much, I can understand that...
    Maybe you haven't seen a professional rugby match, maybe "football" is the only game you have seen,
    Maybe you haven't looked out of the small square you live in, maybe linebackers or any other big fellas in "football" wouldn't last 5 minutes in a rugby game, but I'll tell you what mate, professional rugby "forwards" would give them a run for their money in "football".
    Maybe quarter backs, fullbacks and any other fast and agile "football" players wouldn't last 40 minutes in a rugby game, maybe all positions in "football" would not last the physical and mental challenge required in an 80 minute rugby test match.
    Growing up I have seen a fair few "football" games, I've even been to an N.F.L exhibition match here in Sydney, Australia. I do like watching N.F.L games, I appreciate the sport, it is also a very physical sport, it is also a very mental challenge, there are many tactics and skill in the game, BUT...
    I laugh my head off at the thought you think "a mans game" is more likely "football". Ha ha ha you're a loser.
    By the way I am not a "britt" and "britts" aren't the only ones who play "rugby"
    . I am a proud Australian of Pacific Islander decent. And I have half a brain not to just bag any other sport besides the one I love most. "Rugby" is played all over the world, and is played on an international level every year.
    "Rugby" is a MUCH MUCH harder game then "football", and I'm just talking about FITNESS for starters.
    And I'd give you a pepsi challenge any ol day of the week on that one... BUD.
    Here's a little bit of advice that would get you a little further in life buddy:
    Look outside the square you live in, it might surprise you what you might find.
    And you can "quote" me on that one if you'd like.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who is the best rugby player in the world? [ 22 Answers ]

Who is the best rugby player in the world living today and past deceased ones I am very interested in rugby and want to read biographys to find out how they got good at rugby. QuEst Boy :)

Is this section about the Football or just US Football (Sort of Rugby) [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry but I am new here, and I am learning for my way around this web site. Don't mean to hurt anybody. I am just kind of lost. Simón T.

View more questions Search