Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bernc032 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 07:06 PM
    Major issues
    I'm 22 and started recently at a new school going for my bachelors in fornesic chemistry. I spent 4 years at a community school first deciding what I wanted to study, then getting my associates in biotechnology/forensic science. The problem I am haivng is that I don't like working in lab anymore and that's all I'd end up doing, unless I was a field agent ofr CIA or FBI or something, or went through a police academy sometime during my pursuit of my degree as most CSU are retired cops/troopers or have a police background. But parents think I should stick it out and keep going and that the difficulty with my inorganic chem class and the other classes will pass. I once wanted to study international business but was told that there's not future in it. What type of job would I have? It's a highly competitive field if I even found some type of job. I like science, but I like it when I can do things onmy own time or research things when I feel like or soemthing. CSI is a cool show, but I know what goes on on the show isn't real and if I pursue my degree in forensics id be in a lab performing tests and that's about it. I miss what I did at my old job. I worked in an employee benefits office/HR office and pretty much became my boss's right arm. I like helping people, solving problems, and I miss foreign languages. I would love to be fluent in languages and be able to communicate with different people. The school I got o now has an international business program... so my question is should I take some time off to save money for school and explore jobs, should I stay in the major I am in and stick it out, should I switch majors and make up all the business classes at the school I'm at (meaning more money paid out) or should I, if I switch, take classes at community then transfer to an international business program? Also, if anyone has any suggestions about how I can find more information on international business or jobs in international business or forensics, id apprecaite it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 2, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Do you live in the United States?

Oct 2, 2006, 07:13 PM
    Yes, I live in Maryland and currently attend Towson University
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2006, 08:37 PM
    You should find a job that you love to do, no matter what the pay is.

If you want to be a police officer doing investigations, do that, if you want to work in an office working on international trading, do that.

And yes, CSI lab people very seldon ever go out on the crime scene, there are a few special lab units that collect the evidence and take photos, but 95 percent of police departments don't have crime labs the officers do their own investigatin and merely send things in sealed packages to a crime lab.

Crime lab people work in the lab all day , every day. That is their job.

CSI and shows like that combine characters to make first less people who are main characters but also to follow a story line.

One TV CSI person may represent 4 or 5 actual people in what they do on the TV show.

Oct 2, 2006, 08:41 PM
    Yes I know... I just am scared that I'll disappoint my parents by changing. And I know, I have to live life for me, not for soemone else.. just scared as well, that international business may not be what it is I want it to be and that maybe I should have stuck with forensics. I am tihnking maybe I should stop with my classes, recove some money if at all possible, and take some business classes at a community school to see if I like where those take me?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Major Help [ 2 Answers ]

Ok Last yr my 10 yr old daughter went to live with her father, we agreed if she wanted to come back home she could. We went to court and made it to where he had physical cutody, but judge left me with lega custody. I was to have visitation every other weekend Well I got it about 3 times.. the...

After a first major break-up [ 6 Answers ]

I was talking to a friend the other day. I wnet through a pretty rough break up a little while back, my first major break up with a girl I had been with for sometime. My ex did the whole "break" thing and it took a while to get over. My friends ex did pretty much the same thing to him and we were...

Major Tax Confusion - Please HELP! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, This is my situation. Icame to United States on July 2000 on F1 Status. On January 2005, my opt was started. I got hired by a NJ based consulting firm on May 2005 and started working/getting paid form June 2005. My Opt Expired on January 2006 and I am on my H1 B since then. I got only one W2...

I need major help! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a big problem at school. OK, there is this guy and he has a girlfriend. At the beginning og November he was flirting with me. But I didn't know that he had a girlfriend. So, one of my friends say that he said that I went to talk to him saying that to break up with his girl friend. Which I...

Help me! I'm having a major break down! [ 7 Answers ]

There are two guys at school they both like me. One's a year older, the other is the same age. The guy who is the same age as me is going to ask me out soon it's what my friends all say who overheard him talking but he would treat "Going Out" as just a title and that's not what I want but he's...

View more questions Search