Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SGRBBE67 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Can I re dye my hair from dark brown to a lighter brown or darker blonde?
    Here is my dilemma, please help!!

I wanted to do a hair color change, so I had my hair 2 toned. I told her I wanted to be dark on the bottom and blond on top so she did half the bottom dark brown and mixed sandy blond with another color for the top and it came out very brassy/red did not look good at all. I then went back in this past wed for a color correction and she did highlights which she foiled in with some of the color that was already present, she used a toner it did take out the red/brassy but now it looks yellowish/gold and I am not happy with it at all.

I'm very sorry I did this. Do I need to strip the color out if I want to go lighter brown or close to my natural hair color? I am 40, blue eyes, fair skin dark blond is my natural color. If someone could give me any ideas on what color to do that would be great. Below is a photo so you can get an idea of what color would look best.

Rhonda
    Attached Images

PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Oct 27, 2007, 08:35 AM
    If your hair is two-toned and want to go back to your natural dark blonde color, you don't need to strip the yellow portion of your hair. However, the dark portion of your hair needs to be pre-lightened. Some stylists prefer using a high lift color to make the hair blonde. But I think it would be best to do a two-step color process because you can control the level of lightness you want to achieve. I recommend that you go back to the salon and have them do a corrective color. If you're not comfortable going to the same stylist, ask the salon manager to appoint another stylist to you. A trained stylist will know how to fix your hair. Just explain to the stylist that you want an all over dark blonde shade. And he/she will lighten the dark portions of your hair and try to match your natural color as close as possible.
    SGRBBE67 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLady
    If your hair is two-toned and want to go back to your natural dark blonde color, you don't need to strip the yellow portion of your hair. However, the dark portion of your hair needs to be pre-lightened. Some stylists prefer using a high lift color to make the hair blonde. But I think it would be best to do a two-step color process because you can control the level of lightness you want to achieve. I recommend that you go back to the salon and have them do a corrective color. If you're not comfortable going to the same stylist, ask the salon manager to appoint another stylist to you. A trained stylist will know how to fix your hair. Just explain to the stylist that you want an all over dark blonde shade. And he/she will lighten the dark portions of your hair and try to match your natural color as close as possible.
    Thank you for your feedback. That makes sense, I just wasn't sure about the top portion. It actually has a more gold/ brassy look but there is a little yellow mixed in. So the stylist could put the darker blond or whatever color I choose to my natural color on top of what's on their already? I want to avoid red, orange, yellow, brassy colors. Should I pick a color with Ash in it since I am in the cool tones? :confused:

Thanks again
    Rhonda:)
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Oct 28, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Yes, the stylist can achieve the perfect shade. In salons, they have hair color swatches or charts that has just about every shade you can think of. Ask to see a color chart so that you can show the stylist what shade of blonde you want. Remember to talk things through with your stylist before you proceed with the color process. He/she may be able to help you select the right color.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I dye over bleached blonde hair back to dark brown and it not fade [ 11 Answers ]

About 3 weeks ago I decided I wanted blonde highlights. My wife used Loreal Color Rays bleach blonde kit. And put in a lot of streaks. My natural color hair is dark brown. Of course you can imagine how it turned out. The streaks turned out yellowy orange and looked horrible. I waited a week...

Dark brown hair a few shades lighter [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was just wondering whether you could help me... I recentally dyed my hair, I wanted it 2 go light brown however afta I only left the colour on for 5 minutes it was alredy black! I washed it of after 5 minutes and was uterly devistated... it has not faded a bit and is now a very dark brown...

Hair dye. Dark.blonde.brown.what color mixes? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay IF you have DARK hair as in it being brownish darkish and then you want to dye it blonde and then brown like an ash brown or light brown what color should it come out? I have a dark hair color it looks brown/black and I want to dye it but I want it to come out as a light brown blondish...

Dying my Dark Brown Hair Lighter: Just Need a Little Guidance! [ 4 Answers ]

I am thinking about coloring my hair lighter. Not only do I want a bit of a change but I'd also like to bring my hair color close to my natural one. I haven't dyed my hair in over six months but the last time I had it was a permanent dye. It was L'Oreal Natural Match to be even more specific and I...

Dying dark brown/black hair lighter [ 1 Answers ]

I've been wanting to dye my hair a shade lighter or just lighter in general, but I'm not sure that it will work, seeing as I have dark brwon hair. Are there any natural lightening products for dark/brown hair I can use? Or What coulour highlights should I add to my hair?

View more questions Search