Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melissa1985 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Can I break a lease with only 2 months left in lease
    I had a leak in my apt which ended up being from the 2nd floor's a.c. it took my landlord 2 weeks to figure out where it was coming from and it was a pretty heavy leak so my walls got pretty flooded. How can I break my lease.. I only have 2 months left and I have mold in my hallways and in my pantry. If they were do what they are SUPPOSED to do they would have to knock down a wall and rebuild it. Which would take a least a month. My landlord is determined not to let me out. What do I do?
    Midnight16 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Aug 27, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa1985
    I had a leak in my apt which ended up being from the 2nd floor's a.c. it took my landlord 2 weeks to figure out where it was coming from and it was a pretty heavy leak so my walls got pretty flooded. how can i break my lease..i only have 2 months left and i have mold in my hallways and in my pantry. if they were do what they are SUPPOSED to do they would have to knock down a wall and rebuild it. which would take a least a month. my landlord is determined not to let me out. what do i do?
    OK, when you rent a place from someone, I believe by experience and my knowledge that it is bad to break a lease. Because the two of you signed an agreement or contract. If you break your lease then I believe your landlord can keep your security deposit or something like that and that might hurt your credit, so when you go to get another place they might see you had broken a lease before and they may not like that and not want to rent to you. But you would have to read your lease and see if there is anything hidden, like the landlord not taking responsibility for the leaser or something for damages. But you said you have mold, that can be very harmful to YOUR health if you don't know. You also said that he is determined not to let you out of the lease, well if he keeps your living conditions in the way they are in now, you can perhaps do something legally, if you don't want to do that, I suggests you somehow threaten him about the mold and stuff, find out if by law you can make him pay or fix it. And most definitely try to find a new place to live if possible, because he is clearly not going to change the way he treats you.
    Good luck and hope I was helpful.
    Stephanie
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Hello Mellissa:

You are entitled to a home that's "habitable". Determining whether your place is or isn't habitable is the key. Simply some mold growning on some walls wouldn't do it, I wouldn't think...

The problem is, I don't know how much of a fight you want to get into for two months. You're certainly going to wind up in court. You certainly might lose, and have to pay for a home you didn't live in.

If it was me, I'd just give my notice NOW and go when the lease is up.

excon

PS> If you want to fight 'em, however, I'll tell you how. I hate landlords who rip their tenants off.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2007, 06:56 AM
    As excon said, the only way out is to PROVE that the unit is uninhabitable. That means getting an inspection that makes that statement. Even then, you would still need to give the landlord reasonable time to repair the problem.

Your starting point is your area's Health Dept. They may send an inspector or tell you where to get one. You may have to pay for it.

With only two months left on the lease you may find it not worth the hassle since its loikely the lease will expire before all legal avenues have been exhausted. So just inform the landlord now that you will be moving when the lease expires.
    Midnight16 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Aug 29, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Thanks for the greenie Scott, I'm new at this so bare with me. I just stated my opinion, and what I thought was kind of right.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight16
    Thanks for the greenie Scott, I'm new at this so bare with me. I just stated my opinion, and what I thought was kinda right.
    Some questions can only be answered by opinion. However, many questions, especially ones that deal with law or technical issues in other words FACTS, can't be answered by opinion. You have to know or strongly believe you have the right answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction after 2 months with lease [ 5 Answers ]

My friend called me today in tears. She moved into a house as a renter in May 2007. Today is July 22, 2007 and her landlord sent her an email stating that he has sold the house and she has until August 21st to vacate the property. When she rented the house it was not liveable so she painted and...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

NJ-Requested to break lease, not settled yet - 8 months now [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I requested to break the lease in Aug 2006 after staying only 2 months after signing 1 year lease. Sent a letter in writing as I lost my job and can not afford to be in the apartment. But, haven't received any information from the apartment. Called several times. Used to call almost like...

My room mate left before the lease was up [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in Mo. My roommate and I both signed the lease on our apartment last May. She left in November and promised to pay her half of the rent to the end of the lease. She hasn't. The landlord wants her half of the rent now. Paid in full. If I pay it, can I sue the roommate for what I had to pay...

Belongings left behind after termination of lease [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in PA. We have a tenant who requested to terminate her lease, and we accepted her request. We were receiving a Section 8 voucher, but she had not paid her portion of the rent for two months. In my letter accepting her terminating the lease, we told her to be out by November 30. She has...

View more questions Search