Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yawkeyfan Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Shower Stall is leaking through the floor
    I have a stand up shower on the second floor of the house.

We've had two chronic issues lately.

The hot water faucet is difficult to shut off and sometimes takes a lot of pressure to shut off

Second, the shower often fills with water and is slow to drain.

Last night we developed a steady drip through the ceiling on the first floor. One right below the shower and the second is in the dining room about 8 feet from where the shower is. Since there is no plumbing above the dining room we assume water is running across a beam somewhere.

Here is the issue. Prior to calling a plumber in how can we find out if the leak is from the faucet or the shower floor? We've shut off all the water in the house and it still slowly drips. In the last 24 hours it is has dripped about a gallon.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 6, 2006, 11:14 AM
    "I have a stand up shower on the second floor of the house." Is it a custom tile shower or a manufactured base and enclosure?

"The hot water faucet is difficult to shut off and sometimes takes a lot of pressure to shut off" Hot water knob on the shower valve? What's the brand name? Cheers, tom

"the shower often fills with water and is slow to drain." You have a blockage and the drain will have to be snaked out.

Let me know, Regards, tom

Aug 6, 2006, 11:21 AM
    The shower is a one piece fiberglass unit with a glass door.

I cannot locate the brand of the faucet.

And as far as the blockage, snaking it out is easy. Since the leaks appeared after we used the shower (three people showered back to back) it sounds like it is blocked.

Any chance that we could "luck out" and all of this leaking could be caused by the blockage?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 6, 2006, 11:25 AM
    "Any chance that we could "luck out" and all of this leaking could be caused by the blockage?"
    First things first. Clear the drain and we'll go from there.
    " We've shut off all the water in the house and it still slowly drips. In the last 24 hours it is has dripped about a gallon."
    Unless you opened up a hot and cold faucet to relieve the pressure you still had over a gallon of water left in your pipes under pressure.
    Regards, tom

Aug 6, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Husband is back home and is now snaking the drain.

However it still might be both problems causing the issue. He removed the faucet covers and the cold water pipe has no play and is solid. The hot water pipe moves a bit and was loose. I could hand tighten it back and is now more stable, but still has some give.

My husband says the easiet way to look at the pipe is to cut through the sheet rock on the other side. He said it is better than pulling out the shower. Being a wife I am not crazy about him cutting through the wall, but on the other hand it does seem easier than trying to remove the shower.

We'll let you know.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 6, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Hold off on tearing up the walls.
    "He removed the faucet covers and the cold water pipe has no play and is solid. The hot water pipe moves a bit and was loose. I could hand tighten it back and is now more stable, but still has some give."
    Not to worry, unless you find moisture back of the valve you're OK there. I think your problem's in the drainage but want to clear the line out before any more tests. Tell hubby to flush the drain out with a few pans of boiling water after he's through snaking. Rotting hair matted up with grease is what clogs up showers. The boiling water will melt the grease and flush it on out to the main. Regards, Tom

Aug 6, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Not my day today.

He removed the valves and the cold water valve is bone dry both the metal housing and the plastic insert.

Not the case with the hot water valve. When we removed the plastic insert that and the metal sleeve were both full of water.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 6, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yawkeyfan
    Not my day today.

He removed the valves and the cold water valve is bone dry both the metal housing and the plastic insert.

Not the case with the hot water valve. When we removed the plastic insert that and the metal sleeve were both full of water.

Now It's important that I learn the brand name of the shower valve. Turn on the hot water. Is the leak coming from around the stem? If it is you still might luck out. Regards, tom

Aug 6, 2006, 12:31 PM
    The only place I can see a name is up on the shower head. I will assume that this was all done at the same time. (We've only been in the house 9 months).

The name on the shower head and the hand held shower assembly both say Alsons.

There is nothing on faucet handle itself, the metal piece that looks like a the socket you would put on a socket wrench and there is nothing on the plastic insert that slides into that socket.

Before turning the water back on. How can I be sure that when we do put the water on it won't spray out?

Aug 6, 2006, 12:40 PM
    We turned the water back on and you can see a drip from the hot water valve. There is a plastic piece that fits into the stem and it is leaking from the stem

The only place I can see a name is up on the shower head. I will assume that this was all done at the same time. (We've only been in the house 9 months).

The name on the shower head and the hand held shower assembly both say Alsons.

There is nothing on faucet handle itself, the metal piece that looks like a the socket you would put on a socket wrench and there is nothing on the plastic insert that slides into that socket.

Before turning the water back on. How can I be sure that when we do put the water on it won't spray out?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 6, 2006, 03:36 PM
    OK!

I've put up a drawing of a washer/seat type shower valve. Yours might not look like it but the mechanics are the same. Look down on the stem and see a nut. This is the bonnet packing nut. I want you to slip the handle on the stem and turn the hot water on until it starts to squirt out past the stem.
    Now snug up the bonnet packing nut until the leak stops. Do not over tighten.
    Let me know how you make out. I'll be on line for another hour or so. Good luck, Tom

Aug 6, 2006, 04:58 PM
    This is perfect. Thanks so much for your help. We shut the water off, drained the residual water from the pipe and then after about 2 hours or so the dripping stopped.

We will just use the first floor bathroom until tomorrow when we can purchase the new assembly.

Also we are using fans and drying lamp in an attempt to dry out the wall. Unfortunately the leak has been going on for a while slowly and we've uncovered quite a bit of wet insulation. My concern now is with mold. At least it is not humid right now.

Your help was very much appreciated and saved us a lot of $$ for a Sunday plumber's visit.

If you are rated somewhere or otherwise compensated through this site, please let me know. I am happy to contribute.

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile Shower stall leaking [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a shower stall a year ago. It has begun to leak. It is on the second floor, and I was able to open the ceiling just below it to see. The water is leaking from around the drain itself. The shower stall pan was installed with a poly sheet.. according to the directions... so that...

Leaking Tiled Shower Stall Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

We had our shower stall replaced in 1998 due to the pan beneath the tile leaking... a new liner and re-tile job was done... well, now there is a wet spot below in the same spot and after opening the ceiling, I find that the plastic fitting going into the plastic floor hub is leaking. Looks like the...

My drain pipe is leaking from my shower stall! [ 3 Answers ]

Okay here's the situation. I have a basement shower stall that is leaking water onto the basement floor on the other side of the bathroom. What this is doing is causing some mold on the wood frame on the other side of the wall. At first I thought it was the drain itself that was leaking and I...

Shower stall leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Seems to be leaking at front by door. Do all shower stalls need concrete it seems to have give in the floor at this time has nothing under shower base what to do?

Leaking shower stall [ 4 Answers ]

Have a corner, "neo-angle" shower stall that's a few years old. It's begun leaking from the metal "frame" -- mostly from where a plastic "cap" goes on (cap is missing). It's 1/4 inch or so above the molded part, next to the door, but in the side frame, not the frame that holds the door. It also...

View more questions Search