Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mum24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 03:57 AM
    1993 Camry died while driving!
    Our 1993 Toyota Camry (4 cyl.) just died this morning while DH was driving on the interstate. No warning, nothing. Just cut off. There was still battery power (lights worked well, radio worked well, etc.) and when we try to start it it acts like it wants to start but just isn't doing it.

Just replaced the alternator and battery earlier in the week and took it for a test drive, but only for a couple of miles and had no problems. This morning when it died, it was only 6 miles from home! Any help is appreciated... we are baffled!

Thanks in advance!:)
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 06:58 AM
    . Test for spark. Test/replace the Ignition Control Module and coil.

. Test for fuel.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 03:30 PM
    This is sounding to me like the timing belt let go. Sometimes the water pump will fail at any given moment which is driven by the timing belt. The teeth on the belt are then sheared off.
    Also, oil leaks from the front seals are common on the older one's. Once oil gets on the belt, it will cause it to slip.
    It's a common job. We get one towed in several times a week due to lack of t-belt maint.
    Good luck with it.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 27, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428
    This is sounding to me like the timing belt let go. Sometimes the water pump will fail at any given moment which is driven by the timing belt. The teeth on the belt are then sheared off.
    Also, oil leaks from the front seals are common on the older one's. Once oil gets on the belt, it will cause it to slip.
    It's a common job. We get one towed in several times a week due to lack of t-belt maint.
    Good luck with it.
    Bingo! That is what I was going to say.

If the timing belt let go, be happy you have a Camry: that is what is referred to as a "clearance" motor. Meaning that no internal damage results from that belt failure, if it is in fact the timing belt.
    The tech will simply time the cam to the crank and install a fresh belt. Hopefully, you will also have the water pump replaced during this repair, plus all of the front seals. It will save you time and money in the long run.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Mar 27, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Who's DH??
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 10:34 PM
    I had a similar problem, but it freaked me out many many years ago. Driving and suddenly car shut off. What? No fuel injection etc. nothing fancy compared to today's cars.

Car would not crank. No "alternator light". I don't remember what lights and radio did.

A wire broke internally in the alternator rotor, so no charging and no indication that it wasn't.
    So, I replaced the alternator after taking it apart and all was well.
    pizzarita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 06:44 PM
    I had the same problem -- while driving 60 mph, my car died. The tach. Needle was just laying there at 0. I pulled over and the car stalled (lights: engine, oil, battery). Had battery power (lights,radio,dash) but engine wouldn't even click, even after a jump. I panicked when I saw there was barely a drop of oil on the dipstick, fearing a seized engine). The next day, it cranked but would not start. Six weeks before, I had a new radiator and rebuilt distributor put in.

After 3 mechanics, it was determined that it was NOT the distributor, nor the battery, but the water pump. According to mechanic #3, the water pump bearings seized and when *it* stopped, it stopped the timing belt too. The belt did not fly off, but was not engaged. The valves were OK. Coolant was added.

Then had trouble with the bottom belt rubbing against the case by the water pump causing a 'burr'ing sound (like putting a baseball card in your bicycle spokes). Also, the radiator cap was dripping. They made some more clearance and that stopped the sound, and they cleaned some debris from under the cap and now it seals. $500 later... and a MONTH without the car, I am happy happy happy to have my cam-rita back. No hard feelings (well, maybe to mechanic #1 and #2 - thanks for nothing). Hope this helps somebody!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 toyota camry won't start [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a 1993 camry le 4 cyc- I degreased the engine cause it was dirty and ever since then it won't start. I know the spark plugs had gotten wet , so I took a compresser blew all of them out then removed all the plugs and let it all dry out for two days even blew it out before I replaced...

1993 camry tried everything almost [ 1 Answers ]

My 1993 toyota camry will not start. Will turn over but is getting no fire. Have tried module, distributor, and fuel pump. What's next? Can someone help me?

How to replace light bulb, 1993 Camry [ 2 Answers ]

I feel silly asking this but I don't want to break anything trying to figure it out: I need to replace the driver side front running light on my 1993 Camry (the lens is yellow). There is one screw and when I remove it I'm no closer to getting to the bulb than before. I've replaced other things on...

My 1993 toyota camry won't start? [ 3 Answers ]

My camry will not engage the starter? I coulnt find a starter relay, or maybe I just don't know what relay controls it. The car will start if I turn the key on an touch the small lead on the starter with a 12+ jumper. The battery cranks the car over just fine which makes me think it's a relay, but...

1993 V6 Toyota Camry won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought this car not running. It turns over fine, has fuel pressure if I jump B and FP at the diagnostic plug, has spark, has correct timing of cams and distributor, has voltage to the injectors, but I think it isn't getting the signal (pulsed ground) from the computer to tell the injectors...

View more questions Search