Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erlobenauer Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 23, 2007, 11:25 PM
    Your very welcome. As with Clough ( unless he was being sarcastic, lol ) I had no idea you could make things like that with potatoes. Interesting.=)
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 11:38 PM
    Erica, neither did I. I was at the business where I have prints made of my drawings and the guys wife brought out a necklace she wanted to show me that her daughter had made. It was gorgeous. When I held it, it was so light weight. I was stunned especially after she said they were potatoes. I went home, got some potatoes and made two sets. The first set I made larger because the gal had said to cut the pieces in one inch size. I am short and the jewelry was just too large for my body. I made the turquoise set. I cut the pieces, put a wooden skewer through them, dried them for a few days, turning the potatoes from time to time so they didn't stick to the wooden stick. They shrink by dehydrating. When they are dried, removed them and painted each piece of potato. I used five colors on each piece. Three colors of blues and greens, then a tiny bit of black and a smidge of Emperor's Gold, all in acrylic paint. Then sealed them each with polycrylic, let dry, purchased a small chain from the local craft store, and a few beads I thought might enhance it and put it together. I glued the earring backs on and used a stretchy gold cord for the bracelet. I get lots of compliments when I wear it. Too time consuming. Would not do another one unless for a gift... way too much trouble to do and try to sell although I have had people ask. I would rather spend the hours on a pencil drawing or painting on a Ostrich Egg to make a lamp. LOL I understand you are in Germany. When you are in the states, where do you call home? I live in Oklahoma. It is 1:34 a.m. Have a big day tomorrow so will say goodnight. I am still watching for your drawings to be posted, even those done by the duo, mother and child!! :) Have a good night!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 11:47 PM
    Hi! Popped in for just a bit... :)

Oct 23, 2007, 11:57 PM
    J -

Yes it does sound very very time consuming, and I surely wouldn't have the patience for something like that. Beautiful though.

In the states I call MO home, only been to OK once, and I thought it was gorgeous. And actually found an Art class here on post for drawing/painting so I believe I'm going to start that up as soon as possible! I CANNOT WAIT

As for my drawings now, I've been just a little discouraged and haven't even attempted anything else yet :(
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 12:05 AM
    Hi, Erica!

Jan is gone as I can see. I would be interested in trying to make some jewelry out of potatoes. Considered making jewelry as part of my living a number of years ago. Was going to send some samples to my daughter who lives in California so that she and a friend could see if they were marketable. Still might happen.

I have invited the person who made the following post to come and join us on this thread. It may be just the right place for her. I do wish that you would check it out. I think that what you might have to tell her, if you so choose to, would be valuable to her. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/teens/...tml#post683487 Of course, anyone is welcome here that appreciates and is involved in the arts in some way. I'm sure that is what firmbeliever intended. But, it seems to be drawing in only certain types of people. I guess that is to be expected, though. Water does seek it's own level. It's a basic law of physics. It's the same way with people.
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 12:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by erlobenauer
    J -

Yes it does sound very very time consuming, and i surely wouldn't have the patience for something like that. Beautiful though.

In the states I call MO home, only been to OK once, and I thought it was gorgeous. And actualy found an Art class here on post for drawing/painting so I believe I'm going to start that up as soon as possible! I CANNOT WAIT

as for my drawings now, i've been just a little discouraged and haven't even attempted anything else yet :(
    I love Missouri and the people there! Very friendly and helpful! I am especially familiar with Hannibal as I have gone down there to sell photography products concerning church photo directories, and also the Southwest part of Missouri, since I have some friends from up here who have a cabin on, I think the name of it is, Table Rock Lake.
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 12:12 AM
    Jan, I'm glad that you posted something to the "Self Esteem" thread. You put a lot of time and thought in giving your answer. It was excellent!

I hope that she does come to join us here!

Oct 24, 2007, 12:21 AM
    I am going to check that thread and absolutely try to help as much as I can.

Hannibal is rather close to where I live, about 20-25 minutes. Crazy, but it is indeed a small world. I have lived In MA, GA, FL, and now MO - I would love to move further west though!!
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by erlobenauer
    I am going to check that thread and absolutely try to help as much as I can.
    Thanks!
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    ello peoples
    grammadidi, thank so you much for your honesty, it means alot to me, and i kinda agree with your points, no heart is one of my fave poems that i have written.
    Hi Cal, You are most welcome, and thank you for accepting my honest opinion. I appreciate that you can do so while keeping in mind that just because it's my opinion doesn't mean it is fact. :D I remember two incidents that made me aware that everyone views an art differently (and life, too, I guess!). One was a poem that I had written in Grade 11. I asked my Journalism teacher to critique it and he tried to change it all around, adding words such as 'bittersweet', which is soooooooo NOT me! :) I believe, even to this day, that my poem was very well written and pretty much 'complete' that way it was written. He, on the other hand, felt that it needed many changes.

The second thing was another poem that I had written in grade 9 for my English teacher. She gave me a low average mark and I was heart-broken! It was the first poem I had ever shared in a somewhat public way. Well, many years later, when my daughter was in grade 9, she had to write a poem for her English class. She 'stole' my poem, added a covering page, put her name on it and received a very high mark! Everyone reads and sees things differently, and what pleases the eye or ear of one person may not do the same for another.

Anyhow, after I wrote that post about your poetry, I was worried about how you would take it. I just want you to know that I feel you have a way with words and I in no way meant to hurt your feelings. I spoke from my heart the way I hope everyone here will speak to me. :) I want people's honest opinions here, and promise to do the same if asked.

I would love to read more of your work and appreciate very much your sharing it with us.

Hugs, Didi
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Uh, oh! Look out! Gramma's here! Better make sure that we "tow the line!" :D ;)
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 12:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    ummmmmmmmmm (sifts through his computer for more of his poetry)
    i dont have many on here, but i guess coz i like you people alot, i may aswell share this one with you guys
    i wrote this one when my friend who lives in new south wales said she was going to commit suicide.
    i was crying my heart out at the time at the thought of losing such an important friend, luckily she ended up not suiciding, and she has now become much closer to god and seems much happier since she went to a christian camp.
    16 Roses
    16 red roses so far have grown
    16 red roses may fade
    16 red roses may wither to black
    16 red roses may wilt and die
    16 roses may be all that ever grew
    16 roses may be all that ever blooms
    if by 17 you rest in peace
    if at 17 all thats left are pieces
    thats too many sweet roses that will never be
    too many red roses that none will see
    too many lives that will go unchanged
    too many days that will go ungraced
    too many crimson roses i may never again see
    such a fleeting grace
    such unending sorrow
    i hope to see more roses
    i want you to see them too
    so as friends we can be two

its not very good, but it has a lot of meaning to me.

wanna see more of you peopls art, and hopefuly some of you peoples poems too :)
    Now, see, this is just what I meant in my previous post! You say that this poem isn't very good, but I really like it! I can see why it has a lot of meaning for you and I bet that it had a real impact upon your friend, as well. I like the way you are able to expose your heart in your writing and your art, Cal. I would love to see more.

Hugs, Didi

Oct 24, 2007, 12:45 AM
    Oh man, after that post Jan made I'm definitely going to have to use my thinking cap :)

Hi GRAMMA!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 12:49 AM
    Hey! I'm not a drill sergeant! Sigh...
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 12:55 AM
    Hi Erica, Craig and whoever else is still around. :D I've been reading all the posts and soon will be heading off to bed. Erica, please don't be discouraged with your art! From every mistake you will learn - I know that I do! Jan, that was an awesome post on that thread. I loved your potato art, too! :) Craig, you just blow me away with all you do when you aren't eating Chinese!

Well, must run, but wanted to say hello. Wish I could be on more, but that will have to wait until next week.

Hugs, Didi
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 12:55 AM
    I know...

Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    Hey! I'm not a drill sargeant! Sigh....

I'm... down... here... :o

Oct 24, 2007, 12:56 AM
    Lol - G'night!
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 01:02 AM
    What the heck does THAT mean, Craig?!
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 01:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    What the heck does THAT mean, Craig???!!!!!
    I just felt like I had said the wrong thing, so I was beating myself up, some.

But, I am ready to proceed with turning "scars into stars" and moving forward with a positive attitude, now!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 01:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    I am posting some jewelry I made. The photo isn't that great, lighting was wrong but did it quickly tonight. I am not going to be online as late as usual so wanted to post early.

Hope each of you have a great night.
    Besutiful work there Jan.

Potatoes?? As others said I would not have believed it... but you are so talented I guess you could create many things from unusual veggies:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need the name of the artist [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song and/or the name of the song with the lyrics "tell me if you want me to"

Name of artist [ 1 Answers ]

its goes something like: it was me and you i thought we could nananana. something like that. HELP!:confused:

Where can an artist go... [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an artist go to interact with other musicians online? My girlfriend is an amazing singer/songwriter who also plays acoustic guitar but doesn't really know where she can find band members, etc. I was hoping that someone on here may know. She's got an amazing voice and can really put some...

Name the artist [ 2 Answers ]

I have just downloaded,f**k it(dont want you back) by eamon. I want to know the full name of his ex misses and the songs title she produced in reply to the above.

Need artist name [ 4 Answers ]

The song's name is Angel Its kind of a remake of madonna's It's a dance/electronica version

View more questions Search