Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 29, 2020, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacuum7 View Post
    My favorite is Kimchi...but that is Korean!
    I had a library volunteer whose mom is Korean. He told me the history of kimchi. He said the Japanese and Chinese soldiers tromped back and forth across Korea and stole what they could from Koreans. So the Koreans buried their possessions including their cabbage. It tasted so good after it had been buried for a while, they did that deliberately, added spices and other ingredients, thus creating kimchi.

(I looked up the history of kimchi and learned its history is more complicated than the above story.)
    Vacuum7 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2020, 08:43 AM
    W.G.: Now, I didn't know that! Makes perfect sense! Koreans are a very hardy people: strong and hard working. Japanese and Chinese abused the devil out of them over history. I once had a Korean girlfriend and she was (sorry W.G.!) WONDERFUL! Probably the cleanest person I have ever know....and she was like a shrew! If she was awake, she was constantly doing something productive like cooking, sewing, ironing, knitting, vacuuming, washing her car, painting, making the bird cutouts from paper with the speed of light (amazing)...something all the time...no idle time....but, boy, she could drink, and I don't! I knew quite early that she was much more intelligent than me: clairvoyant, too. She could massage my hand and put me to sleep! And she fixed the best Kimchi I ever have tasted, it was the sour variety! Had a Korean boss (PhD. Engineer) and he was one heck of a cook, too: He like "crisp" Kimchi and told me that there are over 200 types of it. Really like the Korean people and their food!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2020, 09:57 AM
    V7, my Korean-American library volunteer was a FedEx driver and wore burmuda shorts every day for work, even during Chicago's frigid weather. He dressed warmly otherwise, and claimed the shorts helped him be even warmer -- something about blood flow. And in the evenings he worked at his parents' restaurant, a very popular PIZZA place!

Mar 1, 2020, 11:08 AM
    W.G.: If a Korean tell you that "A chicken will pull a plow", you best hooked up the chicken to the plow! These people are no B.S.r's! And the Korean girlfriend I had told me that "You will never forget me" no matter where you are or who you are with", also was correct on that score, too....Pretty powerful people.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2020, 01:35 PM
    No more Chinese food for you!
    I have gone to the local Chinese restaurant 3 times in the last 2 weeks when I heard reports that people were not going to them over irrational fears . If a pint of wonton soup with hot Chinese mustard was prescribed it would cure the corona virus . That is my default treatment to the common cold which in itself is a different corona virus
    (types 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1)

talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 1, 2020, 04:18 PM
    Maybe that's the problem with us humans. Too many diseases to keep track of and new ones pop up all the time. Not a place to cut the budget I think. For sure no place for politics and religion, give me a doctor please!
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2020, 04:29 PM
    Pence is a manager . In my business I am the boss of scientists too. I am not expected to know the chemistry . I just give them direction and priorities .But you want a doctor ? Ben Carson was named to the task force today . So was FDA director doctor Stephen Hahn .
    Expert

Mar 1, 2020, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Pence is a manager . In my business I am the boss of scientists too. I am not expected to know the chemistry . I just give them direction and priorities .But you want a doctor ? Ben Carson was named to the task force today . So was FDA director doctor Stephen Hahn .
    Keep the dufus out of it and I'm comfortable for now. Let the experts do there jobs, and sign the checks for the resources needed.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2020, 06:10 PM
    Yeh! That will do it
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2020, 06:26 PM
    It appears CV is a plot to denude our supermarket shelves, who should we blame, the Chinese communists who want to sell us the rope to hang ourselves, the greedy preppers who think the apocalypse has come, the dumb bogans who will believe anything or media who are convinced this is the end of the world as we know it

Mar 5, 2020, 07:23 PM
    Paraclete: How about the arses that will sell life jackets as the Titanic slides under the waves? This whole thing with CV is illuminating, for all to see, the pathetic, sickening, disgusting GREED OF MAN!
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2020, 07:59 PM
    Sure is, speaks of the loss of moral values
    Expert

Mar 6, 2020, 05:31 AM
    FEAR can change ones moral values just as quick as GREED. Don't panic. Your PM says your ready.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2020, 05:52 AM
    FEAR can change ones moral values just as quick as GREED
    I don't think they change a person's moral values so much as they reveal them.

Mar 6, 2020, 06:13 AM
    jlisenbe: You nailed it: My Father told me this a long time ago: "A man's character is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him and nothing against him." He also said, pertaining to the same subject, that a man's character was best displayed by "how he carries on his affairs when he thinks no one is looking".....My Dad was one hell of a good man! I may be just a little bit biased, however.:)
    Expert

Mar 6, 2020, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I don't think they change a person's moral values so much as they reveal them.
    I can agree with that, but I have long suspected that it's possible some were born greedy and fearful and totally without any morals, and embrace it rather than work to change their own natures. I have also seen to my disappointment, many a good man fail to rise to the challenge of doing the right thing, and feeding the less savory parts of his nature, in a desperation to save themselves. Is that not the lesson of the disciples when they abandoned and betrayed Jesus?

That doesn't mean they cannot be redeemed, and indeed they were, as have many who have fallen and gotten up. Reality though is some do not get back up. Whether it's right or wrong I won't judge, but stuff like that does happen all the time.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2020, 08:26 AM
    many a good man fail to rise to the challenge of doing the right thing,
    If he failed to do the right thing, then in what respect was he "good"?
    Expert

Mar 6, 2020, 09:53 AM
    I don't know, but why assume he wasn't a good man who acted from fear, or desperation? I go back to the example of Jesus and the acts of his disciples. They were good men before they did what they did to betray and deny their savior weren't they? Or did their true natures reveal themselves?

What do you think?
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2020, 01:52 PM
    I would agree with Paul from Romans 3. "There is none good, not even one." We are all flawed.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2020, 02:35 PM
    there is not perfect human except one .
    “If Men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and the next place, oblige it to control itself.”
    James Madison

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

S.S.D.I. threat [ 0 Answers ]

Will Late change in unemployment decision which may result in recoupment against husband.(no fraud involved)threaten my S.S.D.I.monthly payments?I'm his wife and I never filed for unemployment because I'm disabled!

Grave threat [ 3 Answers ]

Can I sue someone living in other country for grave threat to my family?

Bomb threat [ 6 Answers ]

Well, patients are finally back in the hospital and mine is FiNALLY asleep again. Earlier this evening a woman called the hospital and said that she had placed 5 different bombs in different locations around the hospital. They were all set to go off at midnight. Guess what time she called! ...

Threat to be pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I have done sex with my boyfriend on 17th and my date of period is 2 or 3. He mistakenly discharged his sperms inside me, this is the first tym he discharged inside me. After 2 days of sex m feeling something in my stomach. Is it a sign of pregnancy or just a pyschological thought because...

Threat of eviction [ 7 Answers ]

My wife has written you several times ahd you all have given us some great advise. Well, we have come up against another situation. We live in a very small town of about 3,000+ people and there is nowhere we can go to ask for help. So we come to you for advise. We had another falling out...

View more questions Search