Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 25, 2007, 11:21 PM
    How can one improve communication skills?
    How can one improve their communication and written skills?
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 6, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaching
    How can one improve their communication and written skills?
    If you get the answer please pass it on to me. I have been working on this one for years and I think most people believe in mind reading so they do not need to put an effort into listening and then choosing careful responsive thought and care. Is it just me or am I way off the hook? :) nm

Mar 6, 2007, 11:08 AM
    I think you hit it. I think one can only improve communication skills by listening, this is something I have put a lot of thought into. Listening is huge.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2007, 11:12 AM
    If you get the answer please pass it on to this younger generation! :)

Mar 6, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Absolutely... still seaching myself.

Mar 6, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    If you get the answer please pass it on to this younger generation! :)
    Glad to see someone is looking for the Holy Grail at a young age. I believe Teaching has given this old guy hope with her/his feedback. :) nm

Mar 6, 2007, 11:53 AM
    I think you have given me hope by answering this post.

Mar 6, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaching
    I think you have given me hope by answering this post.
    Teaching,

In what way?
    jonalisa Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Reading increases vocabulary which also improves communication.

Mar 6, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonalisa
    Reading increases vocabulary which also improves communication.
    Hi jonalisa, I am curious to know where the quote you have came from. I have seen the same quote on another forum. Wouldn't be an electrician by chance? :) nm

Mar 6, 2007, 01:37 PM
    I think most people believe in mind reading so they do not need to put an effort into listening this line made me think communication is about listening to what the other person is saying instead of mind reading. Communication skills get improved written or verbal by listening. It is a huge skill.
    jonalisa Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Actually, I have used it for years. I initially saw it on a T-shirt that a friend had.
    Joan

Mar 6, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonalisa
    Actually, I have used it for years. I initially saw it on a T-shirt that a friend had.
    Joan
    Good answer. I guess you are not an electrician and I see where reading a shirt really applies to accurate communication also... nm:)
    CleverGirl Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 11:55 AM
    I took a business communications course in college called "interpersonal communication"... I know a local community college offers such a program for fairly little money...

It was a hugely helpful course and improved my listening skills and my speaking skills...

Now I have a much easier time of getting information across and problem solving to make further communication much more effective...
    kellkell Posts: 43, Reputation: 9

May 7, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Listen - which has been mentioned. In addition ask pertinent questions that make sense. This will also show that you are listening.

Eye Contact - Make eye contact with the person who is talking to you or the person you are talking to. It is respectful and shows that you are giving them your undivided attention and it will help you to "read" the other persons reaction to see as to whether they understand what is being said.

SLOW DOWN - you don't need to talk a mile a minute. You don't need to slur or mispronounce your words. You don't need to trip over your thoughts when communicating if you just "slow down". Annunciate your words. This allows you to emphasize the important or key words of what you are trying to convey. Not everyone is in the same profession and/or speaks the same lingo. You don't have to treat them like they are stupid but you can relate information in a common way using understandable words.

As for Writing:

There are course that are quick, easy and cheap that you can take to improve writing skills and your employer may even pay for it.

Please use spell check. No it does not catch everything but it helps.

I like to print out a hard copy of a document because it is easier on the eyes when editing.

Your friends and colleagues are a great resource to use for proof reading documents. Don't bother them if they are busy. However, if they are available, more often than not a person will be flattered that you think they have the skills that will be of assistance to you and won't mind helping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost Skills [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has been doing Trampoline and tumbling for 6 years. About 3 weeks ago she was doing a tumbln pass on the floor and over rotated on a back tuck and landed on her back. Now, not only can't she do a back tuck, but she also has lost all her skills on the trampoline. She is barely...

Skills [ 4 Answers ]

I have yo answer this question any help please, Please explain how your experience,skills knowledge and personal qualities meet the requirements of the job you have applied for It's a caretakers job

Test your skills! [ 2 Answers ]

How about this,hard drive works in one laptop,won't work in another? OK< another hard drive works in number two laptop won't work in the first laptop? Laptops are good... :eek: :mad: :confused:

Cross-over skills [ 7 Answers ]

It has long been recognized that skill sets from other sports can aid and enhance one's main sport. Does anyone have experiences to share related to using skills learned from other sports to enhance their main sport?

View more questions Search