Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manojoct11 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 07:22 AM
    My company is transferring me back to my country and I need to break the lease!
    Hi,

I am a engg. And living in Stamford, CT. My company is transferring me back to my country. As I am on L1 visa, I have no other option except to go back in 1st week of June.

I am in a apartment lease for 1 yr. PERIOD which ends on mid of Aug, 08. I have given notice to my landlord on end of 3rd week in April and I am paying the rent up to mid June.

So, technically speaking I am short of 2 months and I had a deposit of 2 months with the landlord. My landlord is not clearing things with me.

Can he look for the remaining 2 months rent and my security deposit of 2 months LEGALLY?

IS THERE SOME TYPE OF CONNECTICUT STATE OR FEDERAL LAW THAT STIPULATES I AM ALLOWED TO BREAK A LEASE DUE TO EMPLOYMENT TRANSFER?

Please HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP...

Many Thanks.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 08:17 AM
    [QUOTE=manojoct11]Hi,

I am a engg. And living in Stamford, CT. My company is transferring me back to my country. As I am on L1 visa, I have no other option except to go back in 1st week of June.

I am in a apartment lease for 1 yr. PERIOD which ends on 15 Aug, 08. I have given notice to my landlord on 20 April and I am paying the rent up to 15 June.

So, technically speaking I am short of 2 months and I had a deposit of 2 months with the landlord. My landlord is not clearing things with me.

Can he look for the remaining 2 months rent and my security deposit of 2 months LEGALLY?

IS THERE SOME TYPE OF CONNECTICUT STATE OR FEDERAL LAW THAT STIPULATES I AM ALLOWED TO BREAK A LEASE DUE TO EMPLOYMENT TRANSFER?

I am not aware of any law that allows you to break a lease (other than active military) - UNLESS you had a clause written into the lease, which I have seen.

You signed a contract to pay rent until August 15, 2008. Giving notice does not change that written contract. This is not technically speaking; it's law and based on your lease which is a contract.

Your landlord does not have to credit your security deposit toward the unpaid rent. That would leave him without funds to pay for the repair of damages.

Yes, you owe him rent until August 15 - unless he finds another tenant to take your place. He cannot collect double rent. As far as your security deposit, take photos when you leave, perhaps do a walk through with him/her, settle that issue as soon as you move out. If the rent is not paid in full, then he may agree to credit the security deposit toward the rent (until August 15) in order to make sure he gets his money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Yes you owe him full rent until August 15, But on the day you are moving you HAVE to get the landlord to do a walk though with you and give you a written notice then of any damages. He may agree to give your credit from your deposit, but the deposit is to cover him for damages first, not pay rent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Company transferred me and I need to break my lease! [ 5 Answers ]

HI and thank you for your concern: I am a personal banker at a global bank in New Jersey. I was transferred against my will. It was either be transferred or as the bank calls it get "served a severance package". As we all know this means take the transfer or leave the company! I am in a...

Can I break a lease with only 2 months left in lease [ 5 Answers ]

I had a leak in my apt which ended up being from the 2nd floor's a.c. it took my landlord 2 weeks to figure out where it was coming from and it was a pretty heavy leak so my walls got pretty flooded. How can I break my lease.. I only have 2 months left and I have mold in my hallways and in my...

Tax break for home office while employed by company? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a virtual worker, telecommuter, whatever you want to call it, for a large company that I do not own. Can I take a home-office deduction as if I were self-employed for the part of my apartment that I use exclusively for my office space?

Can I break the lease? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm in a one year lease on a house and I've decided to buy a home instead of rent. I'll be closing on the house that I'm buying at the end of this month and I have notified my landlord verbally but not in writing yet. He said that I would be stuck in the lease until it was up so I'll be paying my...

View more questions Search