Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markboyleguitar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 02:09 AM
    Business licence in the uk to sell goods on the internet(UK)
    How do you go about obtaining a business name, business licence and sales tax id to sell goods on the internet from the uk? How much does this cost per year?
    An answer would help me soooo much!
    Thanks, mark
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 22, 2007, 02:11 AM
    Really depends on what you are thinking of selling, your expected turnover, etc.
    The more detail you give the better we can assist you with your issue.
    gothicspell Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 12:22 AM
    Hi,

Can I just pick up on this question too as I am in the same position. I had a look on Google and it actually directed me here - the rest of the info on there was a bit mind-blowing!

I am starting an online store which I am integrating into my website (that I am building). I'm trialing a few items on eBay to see how they sell and researching suppliers etc at the moment. Prob is, most suppliers want your business reg number and VAT number before they will deal with you. This means that you end up buying your stock from a 'middle man' and ultimately damaging your profits.

I can't really say how much the turnover will be as I haven't started it up yet - will I be asked all this when I apply then? And where do you apply too?

Sorry to be a pest... thanks in advance...
    BossMan

Aug 9, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Please refer to my previous answer and give more detail.

Aug 9, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Hi,

Blimey, that was quick!

As I said before, I'm not sure what the turnover will be - products I will be selling will be new age items. I'm certainly not expecting a high turnover for a long time...

I've found this site here Starting Up in Business: Business Start-up for Beginners - How to Set-Up Limited Company, Sole Trader, Partnership: Register Small Business UK, Help to Start My Own Business - you do have to pay for the service though - presume it's free/cheaper to do it off your own back!
    BossMan

Aug 9, 2007, 12:37 AM
    I all honesty, until you are fully up to speed with everything that is need, including VAT, taxes and registration, I would keep things manageable.
    If you are unsure of turnover, then I would advise against setting up full time.
    Stay with eBay or similar until you have a better idea.
    The banks and suppliers WILL require sales forecasts and cash flows statements, before they will even consider you.

Go down to your local CAB and have a chat with them.
    They have a lot of very knowledgeable people available. Bear in mind many are volunteers and do have other things to do, so don't expect and instant answer.

Aug 9, 2007, 12:45 AM
    OK, thanks for that.

I'll pop in and see them.

Seems a shame though to think that my business needs all this VAT reg etc to really get off the ground - yet I can't get it off the ground without the suppliers in the first place...

... life eh!?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business licence [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to open a babysitters agency do I need a special licence/permit?

Can F1 sell goods on eBay? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a simple question. I bought a headphone a while ago and I want to sell it on eBay. Is that legal? I am on a F1 Status, which limits me to just 20 hours/week (full time during summer holiday). Is it all right if I sell some stuff on eBay? It not a business, I am just selling...

Tell me some business plans of internet business [ 1 Answers ]

I am Biomedical engineer. I have interest in food, restaurants, medical equipments. Is there any business plans for me? pl. guide me

How to get a licence to start a painting business [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently worked for a painting contractor for about 4 years and learnt so much about painting and now I want to start my own business. I believe I need to have a licence to start a painting business I really want this wish come true - I have search through the internet all websites but...

Internet business [ 1 Answers ]

I enjoy selling items on auction sites but seeking a supplier of quality goods. It can be anything from quality vitamins to electronics or vintage items. I would get your low sell price, sell it for a little profit, then pay you for the product and through Paypal to dropship it. If it turns out to...

View more questions Search